It is currently Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:08 am

All times are UTC

Were you able to solve Kadish Tolesa without the help of hint guids or other players?
Poll ended at Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:16 am
No, I relied on external guidance to solve the age. 83%  83%  [ 77 ]
Yes, it was a cinch. I solved it on my own with no problem. 17%  17%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 93
 Post subject: KADISH POLL
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:16 am 
Obduction Backer

Who actually looked at those stained glass symbols in the Gallery and knew exactly what they related to and how? My theory is that NOBODY was able to pass this age without external guidance. In my opinion, that takes away the fun of the game. I prefer the logical puzzles, like those in the original Channelwood age. I'm doing this poll to see if anyone else feels this way, or if I'm just stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:28 am 
Obduction Backer

While I thoroughly enjoy the puzzles and storylines, I do often seek out a hint or outright spoiler from someone else. Kadish was very difficult, but part of the fun of Live is having others around to help if needed. I do sometimes get frustrated but I still think the overall experience is worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:28 am 

Someone must have figured it out on their own originally otherwise us cheaters would have been stuck forever.

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:46 am 
Obduction Backer

If there are people out there creative enough to figure all the puzzles out on their own, I hope they speak up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:04 am 
Obduction Backer

I was one of the original beta testers (back in 2002-03) on what was known as the Choru server during the first edition of Uru - Choru was Cyan's internal beta test and consisted of maybe 30 or so active testers. We were the first to encounter the Kadish puzzles, and I solved the first, second, and fifth by myself; I had to have help from our Choru forums for the others. My personal theory is that every single person who has ever solved these puzzles has done so purely because two (or so) of the Choru beta testers managed to figure them out, and then osmosis took over. And I'll bet those Choru testers got help, as we often had Cyan folks wandering through the caverns with us. I will note that our very loud complaints produced some minor changes in the Gallery art - can't quite remember what those were.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:19 am 
Obduction Backer

I did check UHS hints, but every time I saw the hint I needed, I slapped myself in the forehead and said "Why didn't I think of that!"

Especially toward the later half of the age, when the puzzles started using the same negation gimmick each time, and I still didn't catch on.

The one thing that bugs me about this age, and it's certainly not unique, is the fact that the "passwords" are coded into anything at all. Who does that?

Although now that I think about it, the whole "the answer is the one that isn't there" makes it seem like perhaps he omitted the correct ones because he didn't want people to be able to solve the puzzles, and it backfired on him... in that sense, it's somewhat clever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:34 am 

Sigh, I had to look up hints for the pyramid puzzle. All the others made logical(to me) sense. Of course I did read the journal in Relto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:48 am 
Obduction Backer

I had to get the solution for the last puzzle, to open the vault. I just couldn't do it. I used a hint for the floor tile puzzle (not the one with the light buttons). Yeah, the pyramid puzzle, just looked at the post above mine, that's way easier than my long explanation :D.

I didn't think that took away from the fun though.
I'm good at certain kinds of puzzles and not at others, and other people are good at the puzzles that I am bad at, but they may be bad at what I find easy.
I know of some others who solved Kadish and had it exactly opposite of me: the puzzles I breezed through they just couldn't get or took over a week to figure out, and the puzzle I found impossible they got within an hour. If we'd done Kadish together we would have solved it easily, so maybe no one person solved the Age on their own in our group, but with just two people we could have solved it without resorting to walkthroughs or hint systems or forums. I don't count actually going into an Age together in game, as having to cheat.

I guess I just don't mind so much if I can't solve something and have to resort to hints or outright solutions, or work with someone else.
Your poll just asks if you were able to solve the Age on your own or not, it doesn't reflect whether people felt it took away the fun of the game, like you did, though.
I voted that I had to use outside help, but that doesn't mean I think the fun was taken away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:52 am 

I knew which ones went to which puzzle but I couldn't figure out most of them all the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:11 am 

Kadish was the only age that made me cave and look online for help.

The thing is, when I played previous Myst games, I didn't really know about walkthroughs and I was probably stuck on puzzles for longer than I was stuck in Kadish before I cheated. I beat myself up for a long time about that. I just got too impatient, had I spent more time I'm sure I would have beat it alone.

But now, Uru live its totally different. I talk to all my buddies about the new ages, and I'm only ever stuck for a short while before I start working with others to solve them. Working with others still gives the satisfaction of completing it without the frustration of getting stuck for a long period of time or the shame of having to look up a solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:27 am 
Obduction Backer

I solved the pyramid and pillar puzzles entirely on my own... I think I might have gotten a nudge on the scope puzzle (#1), and I had to get a spoiler on the shadow path/moon room and vault door puzzles. I did my darndest to figure out the vault door on my own, but I just didn't quite grasp the logic of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:01 am 

I think I (well, me and my flatmate) solved most of them on our own, but not the getting the floor to open, which i still find a sod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:12 am 
Obduction Backer

LuigiHann wrote:
I did check UHS hints, but every time I saw the hint I needed, I slapped myself in the forehead and said "Why didn't I think of that!"
I did that too! :lol:

Quote:
The one thing that bugs me about this age, and it's certainly not unique, is the fact that the "passwords" are coded into anything at all. Who does that?
Someone who wants to secure his gold... like Kadish. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:52 am 

I agree Kadish was not an easy age to work out for the first time. It was only through walkthroughs that I got through Kadish. I found using UHS hints made it easier to do the ring puzzles. When I did the Kadish age for the first time years ago I did not realise that the Kadish Gallery pictures were hints for the age. Looking at the Kadish Gallery pictures a while after doing Kadish I could see how the pictures were used to solve the puzzles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:05 pm 

I was able to do the scope puzzles on my own. The light puzzle I was able to do halfway...just didn't realize the path to the door was not the path. Then the pyramid I was able to do, took a while, I think I ended up getting frustrated and ran around the pyramid or something then it turned blue and "bingo!" walk the trees, of course! Then there was the pillars. Those darn pillars, I hate and curse those pillars every time I'm there. Saw those extra weights on the side, and just couldn't figure out how to get those to be used. Needed help on that! Then the vault...I opened it up on the first try! I used some random button pushing and it opened, but I didn't know what I pushed. So, when I saw the pretty blue button on the inside of the door, I pushed it and so I had to go and get a hint, or shall I say, a downright spoiler, for the vault. All in all, I do like the mechanical puzzles a lot better. And before too long we will have Ahnonay, another nasty puzzle Age, which hints are a must need.