Which design do you prefer?
I prefer the new design. 64%  64%  [ 63 ]
I don't really prefer one design over the other. 29%  29%  [ 28 ]
I prefer the old design. 7%  7%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 98
 Post subject: Changes to Rolep
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:06 am 

I mean, um... Changes to The Watcher's Sanctuary. :roll:

Anywho, before you read this topic I just want you to take a good long look (like you haven't already) at this picture:

[spoiler=Click to reveal smaller image.]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Click to reveal larger image.]Image[/spoiler]
Now, take a look at this picture. It's how this place used to look back in The Path of the Shell.

[spoiler=Click to reveal image.]Image[/spoiler]
Goodness, there's quite the number of changes to this place.

There are two (really obvious) differences you'll notice within the first few seconds of looking at these pictures:
  1. The hologram is gone, which makes sense.*
  2. The color scheme has changed from orange to blue, which seems kind of, well, unnecessary. Sure, I think it looks better with the blue, but I don't see why the overall color scheme was moved to the opposite end of the color wheel. (By the way, I'm just going to note here that how the staircase changes from gray near the imager to blue is freaking amazing looking.)
[spoiler=*Click to reveal The Path of the Shell spoiler.]We most likely won't be doing that Myst Fireplace puzzle again that we had to piece together from different images like this. Of course there is still that doodle on the piece of paper in the second Kadish Vault that is suspicious looking, but that hardly concerns this topic.[/spoiler]
A few smaller changes that you may not have noticed at first glance:
  1. Oh boy, looks like the floor's been completely re-done. In the old version, there was just brown to blue (I think it was blue, you can't really see it). Now, it's brown to blue to orange again (however, right under the light, it looks yellow). Also, the orange diamond-patterned rug thingy right outside the imager is gone (which makes sense considering it wouldn't match the new design well). It's interesting to note that the orange sections are cracked, but the blue section seems to have intentional patterns on it.
  2. The upper walls have changed and now have a brand-new schmexy-looking design pattern on them.
  3. The lights are changed, and the shape (and obviously the color) of them work better with the new look of this place, in my opinion.
  4. The Ahnonay Linking book (on the bottom picture, it's on the pedestal to the right of the one with the notebook), as to be expected, is gone. We'll most likely be getting to Er'cana from here this episode (at least, I hope), and since Ahnonay won't be released until later, there shouldn't be a Linking Book there.
I was kind of shocked when I realized just how much has been changed, but at least it wasn't as dramatic as going from this to what we saw in TPotS. :wink:

One last thing I'll mention here, on the picture there seems to be some blue thing in the upper-right corner, near the entrance to the room with the path of the shell. I'm not sure, it kind of looks like it's beyond the wall, like there's no more wall between the pub's main area and the path of the shell room, perhaps that's even the clock looking whatever-you-call it (what do you call that thing?).

Edit: Included full-size picture and updated observations and theories based on it.

Last edited by Ichabod_L on Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:23 am 

Before the misinformation spreads...

This is NOT Rolep :P (blame Dan'ni at UruObsession for starting that rumour)

This is the Watcher's Sanctuary, also known as the Great Tree Pub (or Sharper's Pub).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:30 am 

Paradox wrote:
This is the Watcher's Sanctuary, also known as the Great Tree Pub (or Sharper's Pub).

Or the Restorers' Pub. Or about a dozen other things. :D

But yeah, not Rolep. Apparently (though this isn't 100% clear) not even in Rolep, which is a cavern.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:49 am 
Obduction Backer

Well, we know that the Sanctuary is in the J'Taeri district, right? And J'Taeri is on Ae'gura, so therefore it can't be in the Rolep cavern.

I like the new design! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

I prefer the old design better, but then I also liked the concept screenshot more than the TPotS version, so I'm biased. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:36 pm 

We've seen a change in colors from blue to yellow before... in the pods... when the power was turned on... could this mean something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:15 pm 

can someone post the old pic of Sharper's pub? I've been trying to find one on the net but have been unsuccessful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:45 pm 

Imthmnky wrote:
We've seen a change in colors from blue to yellow before... in the pods... when the power was turned on... could this mean something?

Well, I personally think that this color scheme is going to be permanent, considering the floors, walls, lights, etc. have changed to match this new scheme. If it is possible for it to change to orange, however, my only guess would be that
[spoiler=Click to reveal The Path of the Shell spoiler.]it would change colors when you gain access to the tree and turn on the lights there and start the day/night cycle. However, we don't even know if the path of the shell and the Great Tree will be presented the same as it was offline, so that's just a very loose speculation and only if the color scheme were to be changeable, which I doubt.[/spoiler]
SolarShine wrote:
can someone post the old pic of Sharper's pub? I've been trying to find one on the net but have been unsuccessful.

That depends which Sharper's Pub you're referring to. :wink: If you mean the Kahlo Pub, I haven't seen and old pictures of it (I'm assuming you mean pre-release). If you mean the Great Tree Pub (The Watcher's Sanctuary), the only old picture I know of is here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:42 am 
Obduction Backer

I voted 'don't prefer one over the other' ...

I like them both - very much!

I think it is quite natural that the art of the game is going to evolve, and that changes will be made to further the present storyline/gameplay. Both versions are beautiful and interesting, and I will associate them with the different gaming situations. I think I have been noticing changes in many places, but many of them are quite subtle. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:44 am 

Comparing the two pictures in Ichabod_L's first post,
[spoiler]I see there are fewer banners hanging from the upper level, propably unimportant, but also that the vase or plinth object at the foot of the stairs and seen through the hologram is also gone. Did it have a function?[/spoiler]

KI: 04828253

There's this alternative world full of all kinds of amazing things. It's right outside my window. One day, I'm going to link to it and explore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:46 am 

I like the new design MUCH better than the TPotS version. The lighting looks way better and more atmospheric. The wall and floor patterns are much improved.

The TPotS version was kind of dull actually. The upper floor wall textures looked like cheap fabric.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:10 pm 

Keep in mind that some of the "Coming Soon" shots aren't always exactly like what it seen in the game, like the Stone in Minkata that several people were keeping their eyes peeled for.

Not to be a downer or anything *wink*. I like the new floor...it's shiny!

Post subject: OK, OK, I Voted
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:11 pm 

Well, as several others I voted for the new version, just because I find the color scheme more pleasing.
:roll:

However, I'm with several others. I really prefered the concept art version. Since the Watcher's Sanctuary is supposed to be in the City, the newer versions just look too clean and well maintained. Give me falling rocks amd jagged cracks in the floor any day. :shock:

If today is the first day of the rest of my life, I think I'm in trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:32 pm 

since i (*gasp*) never got past to d'ni, it's all new to me. :) and if it's been redone/retasked so much the better, then it'll be new to everybody.

Post subject: Re: OK, OK, I Voted
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:26 pm 

Vanyel5655 wrote:
...Since the Watcher's Sanctuary is supposed to be in the City, ...

I can't say if the Great Tree Pub AKA Watcher's Sanctuary is (or will be) in the city but in TPoTS, it does appear to be in range of the GZ since the KI displays coordinates for it. None of the other ages show coordinates that I know of.