It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:01 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:16 am 

If we're talking about the Selenitic Age, the sound effects were awful, though. The puzzle aspect of it isn't so bad, though. I just didn't have the patience for it at the time, I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:22 am 

That was great LuigiHann! And so it was.

And some of you actually figure these things out without a walk through! You have my highest respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:29 am 

LuigiHann wrote:
You know what? Let's go through this firefly puzzle thing, one step at a time.

:lol: I hereby join your admirers, LuigiHann! That was hilarious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:49 am 

Hardest: Spire's crystal-harmony-lock-insanity-inducing excuse for a puzzle. Was more torture than a puzzle. I cheated with a walkthrough and I STILL couldn't solve it. It took me months to finish it. I did sympathise with you once upon a time, Sirrus. I don't know why, but all I know is that now, if I actually met you, I'd smack you over the head with one of your own stupid crystals for creating such an impossible lock. What's wrong with just having a key, for crying out loud!

Stupidest
: Fireflies. Ahhh! Fireflies!!! They're everywhere!!! Go away, go in the water or something. Or do one of several BILLION possible things that makes you go back to those brain trees and leaves me standing here, alone against the big bad dark corridor. I mean, there could be, you know, rocks or something in there!!! :evil:

Craziest: Ahnonay. All of it. It was so very, very cool, the whole idea of the Age, but also very very insane. Crabs, to crystal things, to outer space... And the relto page.... I close my eyes and all I see is a constant cycle of linking in and out. In and out. In and Out....

Most soothing: TPotS's standing still for quarter of an hour puzzle. Guys, I really didn't find it that bad. Okay, the idea of the puzzle was dumb, but I didn't find it bad or annoying or anything. In fact, it almost single handedly canceled out the trials of the previous 3 puzzles with its zen-like quality. *sigh*

Easiest puzzle that everyone else seems to have trouble with:
The monkey calling puzzle in Haven in Myst IV. I don't see what the fuss is about. I just got the combinations for calling each monkey, then, through a combination of 50% intuitive guesswork, and 50% random clicking, I solved the thing in less than 5 minutes. And no, it wasn't a fluke, because I was able to replicate the feat. And I didn't cheat or anything! :shock:

Old MOUL KI: 13986530
MOULa KI: 02058741

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:59 am 
Obduction Backer

Yeah, I don't see what everybody's problem is with that monkey puzzle. It was a little tricky, but I figured it out okay.

I did have that patch, though, which I believe made it easier. So I suppose most of the people complaining may have played the "hard version" of that puzzle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:26 pm 

LuigiHann wrote:
Yeah, I don't see what everybody's problem is with that monkey puzzle. It was a little tricky, but I figured it out okay.

I did have that patch, though, which I believe made it easier. So I suppose most of the people complaining may have played the "hard version" of that puzzle.

I think the problem with both the Spire chair and the Haven Mangree puzzle was that both required a *lot* of hand-eye coordination skill. Of all the Myst puzzles, they were the ones in which people were most likely to know what they have to do, but still be unable to do it.

The other thing is that when Myst IV was released a lot of computers weren't quite up to playinig it, so the cursor was sluggish. That makes the hand-eye coordination puzzles sheer fiery abyss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

First off, I too have to give a big kudos to LuigiHann. That was pretty hilarious and accurate too.

I've gotten through all the Myst games except MIV (which I have completed the opening area and Spire only) and I got to say there are ingenious, exciting, and frustrating puzzles in all of them. I just gotta add some more categories, if only so that certain puzzles get honorable mention.

Hardest: [Uru] I don't know why people have such a hard time with the Riven Fire-Marble puzzle. I figured it out almost as soon as I saw it, and it only took a quick trip back to Survey Island to get the answer. But maybe my brain is just weird. Anyway, I'm going to have to say the Kadish Vault Combination. I've taken pictures of every inch of the Gallery and that control panel, done every fancy math thing I know, switching patterns, turning the circles, everything. I still haven't got a clue how that one works out. Even after looking at the answer and going back to it I have no idea!

Most Pointless: [Uru] Probably the Pod ages. What with the ages being very small, and having absolutely nothing to do there, I just cannot see the point in sitting in one spot for 15 hours just to get a piece of donut. It's just not worth it (and yet... I did it anyway :x)

Stupidest: [Myst] The white page. Seriously... after you know how to get it, you just cannot play the game again. Or if you do, you finish it in like, 2 minutes. It completely bypasses the entire rest of the game. Sure, it's a great twist for the first time through the game, but it gives the game zero replayability.

Craziest (In a bad way): [Uru] Ahnonay... Ahnonay Ahnonay Ahnonay... this one drove me absolutely batty. Not so much with moving between the domes, but as to which cloth you were supposed to touch before going to them. And if you mess one up, you more than likely have to start over from the beginning.

Most Infuriating: [M4] "You went too far" "Try the other dial" Atrus, you know I love you man... but if you say one more word to me... :evil:

Least Sensical: [Uru] The fireflys... by far. Easy enough to figure out, but seriously... I can SEE the lantern, just push the button. And it was really bad when you wanted to do it in UU with the UserKI. You had the /glow turned on so you could see the button just as plain as day... but you still couldn't press it. grr...

Funnest: [M3] Pretty much the entirety of Amateria. I really hate to say it, but Presto beat Cyan pretty hard with that one. M3 is by far my favorite of all the games.

Favorite Age: [M3] Amateria... easy.

Least Favorite Age: [M5] I'm gonna say Todelmer. It was beautiful, sure, but I had such an amazing hard time getting anything done there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:47 am 

Quote:
Stupidest: [Myst] The white page. Seriously... after you know how to get it, you just cannot play the game again. Or if you do, you finish it in like, 2 minutes. It completely bypasses the entire rest of the game. Sure, it's a great twist for the first time through the game, but it gives the game zero replayability.

You could always just not get the white page. :P

Also, doesnt Sirrus or Achenar have to tell you the combination for the fireplace before you can open it and get to the green book? The white page is pretty useless without it. And I don't think they tell you until you give them all their pages except for the fireplace one.

Mind you, the game is pretty un-replayable across the board anyway :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:18 am 
Obduction Backer

Narym wrote:
Also, doesnt Sirrus or Achenar have to tell you the combination for the fireplace before you can open it and get to the green book?

Nope, you can start from scratch, turn on all the switches, get the white page, punch in the combination, go straight to D'ni, and never have to look at S&A once :).

(Doesn't mean you have to, though ;))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:27 am 

Oh okay. I've only played Myst twice, both times doing all the puzzles and Ages, so I didn't know that.

Still, apart from looking at the pretty still pictures, and some animation, and also to experience the awesome atmosphere, there's really no reason to play the game again anyway. If you're just going to get the white page, that's doubly the case.

But I agree, it was a nice twist to have the page on the island the entire time. Of course, you have to work out whether to trust one of the brothers when you play the first time. They told me not to open the green book, so I didn't, and got the last blue page, and put it in the book. Mistake!

Why did I pick Achenar??!! I thought he was just bored, or he'd had too much Coke, or something!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:40 pm 

Very nice, Narym. I was lucky...I felt that hm...choice between creepy, snakey sounding guy in the red book, or obviously insane guy in the blue book...or rational guy in the green book was a pretty obvious choice. Unfortunately, my first time, I didn't listen to his entire message before linking through...getting very stuck at that point.

Riven, at least, I got right on the first ending.

Exile, I made the mistake of trusting the guy to give the book back...so that wasn't very good at all...

Revelation, I loved the fact that the choice wasn't quite as obvious...I chose correctly, but still.

I haven't played EoA's yet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:19 am 

Hardest: Not being the best myst player, I'd say they're all hard to me. But if I had to choose, I'd say that darn monkey-calling thing from Revelations. Mostly due to it being time consuming

And for a friend of mine: The organ puzzle in the ship in Myst. Mostly because she's tone deaf and couldn't do the puzzle even if she tried.

Stupidest: Definitely jumping into the broken bridge in Teledahn. Because "Hmm, the lever on this bridge is broken, perhaps smashing my face into the bridge itself can knock it down and I can continue." works for so many other myst puzzles.

Craziest: Jumping down across the pillar platforms to get the Bahro door in Gahreesen. How was I supposed to know I could pitch over a two story fall and land without even bending my knees? Especially because the first time I tried it, it panic-linked me out mid-jump for missing slightly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:34 am 
Obduction Backer

CrossHatch wrote:
And for a friend of mine: The organ puzzle in the ship in Myst. Mostly because she's tone deaf and couldn't do the puzzle even if she tried.

I'm sure it's been pointed out by now, but you can count the clicks. Like, the position of each slider directly correlates to the number of the key. That's how I solved it, anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:12 am 
Obduction Backer

LuigiHann wrote:
I'm sure it's been pointed out by now, but you can count the clicks. Like, the position of each slider directly correlates to the number of the key. That's how I solved it, anyway.

Yeah, it was the same for me. I have a fair bit of piano instruction and music theory behind me, and the way I solved the Selenitic Gate was to count the number of piano keys from L to R for each note and then correspond that with the number of clicks on the slider. Doing it by ear was too time-consuming!

KI # 494102

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

LuigiHann wrote:
CrossHatch wrote:

Oy, tanks !
i've been trying to it with real myst, a mess !!! and solved it with the "normal" myst by pure luck lol !

hard to tell wich one is wrong !

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next