It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:07 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hardest: Mangaree puzzle. With the spider-chair and a patch I was able to do it consistently. It wasn't too bad. Mangarees however.. no matter how I spun the wheels they'd never actually spin in a circle (I found wobbling it worked though) and I couldn't get the split-second timing to call them. Even with the full walkthrough for the puzzle I couldn't make them listen except after 20 minutes of fighting with it. Ugh.

Easiest: Channelwood. Seriously, that age was a puzzle? Coulda fooled me. I still love it for the atmosphere, though.

Most brilliant: Riven's firemarbles. Seriously, that was *brilliant*. Looking at the grid, it made no sense. But, you got to surveyor island.. and then.. it clicked. The colours of the domes, the way the islands fit together originally, the placement via pinmapper.. it all came together in a massive meta-puzzle. And the feeling was AMAZING. Even the moiety puzzle didn't come close.

Stupidest: Path of the Shell. Let's bake the pellets! Oh, wait, 15 minutes. Well, I can do other stuff. Good thing there's no other puzzles like that in the game!
...what do you mean I have to STAND here for 15 min?! AAA!
Path of the fiery abyss, more like :x

Best FMV: Amateria. Wheeeeee! Roller coaster ride!

Not the hardest: Spaceship on myst. Seriously, I just figured how many tones and semi-tones it was from 0, and then slid it there slowly. Then repeated for all, and used tone ear to fine-tune.

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:13 pm 

I have to say that the spider chair is by far the hardest puzzle I ran into anywhere, because it was entirely non-intuitive. It wasn't just that the clues about it were strewn about as though by some mad whirlwind. It wasn't that you could search for hours and not find half of them, and trying to make sense of what you had was like trying to bake a cake by mail order. It was that the whole age simply didn't make any sense. I got the concept of using power to affect the floating rocks, but why did he go to such lengths to set things up in such a perplexing way? Considering the amount of wire he found or made for his devices, why didn't he build a ladder to the ground instead of a floating magna-ferry? What was the purpose of the chair at all, when doing the experiments would have been easy on a flat surface? And why did someone living in solitude on a prison Age worry so much about locking stuff up? And to top it all off, why did the crazy genius that is Sirrus spend so, so much time developing an explosive to blow the linking chamber apart, when anyone with half a brain for spatial relations could see that the little swivel drawer that was used to pass stuff back and forth was made of sheet metal and the hole it fit through was big enough for a grown man to crawl through? Wouldn't prying out the swivel drawer and clambering through have been a whole lot less work? It was all so pointlessly jarring that it wasn't fun, and this is really the only Age anywhere about which I've ever said that.

Dumbest puzzle? I personally didn't have any real trouble with tuning Atrus's Rime-o-scope. I was done in less than a minute. So, it didn't really bother me that much, but I can definitely see why it may have bothered others. Still, I have to think it was the lockbox in the cabin on Myst island. Three numbers? I didn't even bother to find the answer, I just brute-forced it and it took me three minutes or so. If you're going to have a puzzle, at least make it a challenge other than "finish before your hand cramps".

Craziest? In a good way, by far I thought Amateria was the best. It's still one of my favorite Ages anywhere, and I have a saved game specifically in the position where I can run the end of that Age for fun. Crazy in a challenging way has to be the Mangrees. The reason I liked this one, though, was not only that the clues for how it worked were pretty obvious, but it also developed the story, showing you how Achenar had grown and learned and changed during his imprisonment. After realizing that he'd befriended the Mangrees near his hut, it was a lot easier to believe that he'd turned to good when it all came down to choices at the end.

Virg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:21 pm 

LuigiHann wrote:
You know what? Let's go through this firefly puzzle thing, one step at a time.

1. The tunnel is dark. What do you do?
-Feel around
2. Sorry, that won't work. It's dark. You can't find anything
-Flashlight
3. Nope. You can't carry anything back with you from the surface
-Fire marbles? You know, from the Bevin?
4. Sorry. You can't pick stuff up either. And you can't move stuff through the linking books.
-Can I light something on fire? There's a lot of wooden stuff here, and it's hot
5. Wrong. Totally wrong.
-Um... I give up
6. Here's a hint: it's in the other garden age.
-What? I thought I couldn't move stuff through the linking books?
7. This is an unexplained exception.
-Oh, thanks. Oh, fireflies. Can I catch them?
8. Well, yes and no. They'll sort of hang around you.
-Oh, that's cool I guess. *runs* Hey, where'd they go?
9. Sorry, they don't like running
-Oh, that's cool I guess. *walks* Hey, where'd they go?
10. Sorry, they don't like rain.
-I see... *walks carefully, avoiding rain, and links* It worked!
-Wait, where'd they go!?
11. You gotta watch out for that steam vent in front of the link-in-point.
-Well, crap. *repeats previous steps, then avoids steam vent* OH CRAP
12. Yeah, you'd think you would figure out by now that they wouldn't want you to walk through the water either.
-But they don't touch the water, it's like ankle-high... Whatever *repeats previous steps, but this time jumps over the river. Then jumps behind the waterfall* Huh?
13. They don't like jumping.
-But I jumped before
14. You can jump once, but that's it
-That doesn't make any freaking sense!
15. These are one-jump fireflies. Now shut up and make it so you only have to jump once.
-Can I step over the thin part of the river?
16. You probably could, but that'd be too easy.
-I guess I have to build a bridge of some kind?
17. Pretty much.
-I can kick this fish-basket around. It'd be nice if I could just pick it up, but this isn't so hard.
18. That's the spirit!
-I could make a second bridge for behind the waterfall if I could use this big pile of miscellaneous wooden stuff. Do I need a second bridge?
19. Not yet.
-But I will later?
20. Well, yes.
-So why can't I use this stuff?
21. It's just part of the "background," you can't use it.
-Riiiight. So what do I build the second bridge with?
22. There are more fish baskets up there. After a mini-waterfall to ensure that you lose your fireflies
-Oh, thanks. Why do I need the second bridge? Can't I jump once?
23. You can, but you need to save the jump for another tiny river that any normal person could just step over.
-Okay, screw this. I'm going to play Paper Mario.

LOL! Since this thread got bumped anyway, I thought I might as well bump the FUNNIEST post.... of all times!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:47 am 
Obduction Backer

Oh... so many to choose from!

Hardest: The ending puzzle in Myst IV. My brain just doesn't wrap around those kinds a things.

Most Frustrating: Getting the power back in Myst IV. I actually enjoyed listening to Atrus, however cleaning up his mess was a pain. My brain also doesn't wrap around "transfer from column to column" puzzles.

Stupidest Puzzle: Putting together the symbols for Narayan. If you even so much as sketch something wrong, or maybe glanced over a line of bold text, you're screwed.

Most Amusing:
[spoiler]Bringing the tablet to Myst in EoA. Esher is pretty interesting in that scene. However, it was also the most frightening. Word of advice, don't walk towards the spaceship, there's lightning and power lines... 'nuf said.[/spoiler]

Overall Favorite: All of Amateria, and anything relating to Sirrus. I just love the guy. OH! And anything that has a Whark or Sunner in it. Wharks are just amazing, and they have personality!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:17 am 

"Marina what are you doing?"
"Getting my soapbox."
"NO GET DOWN FROM THERE"
"Aww, just fifteen minutes...."

<textwall>

Hardest and Cruel: Serenia finale, although the Spire and Haven finales are practically tailgating it for second. You enter the node, you see a bunch of symbols with no correlation between them other than "you hover over and they make dialogue." And you're supposed to put them in order, without any indication what that order is, or why. Okay, you might be saying "but Marina, they are sentences". Yes, but do look at Myst's history of dialogue; to me it would be perfectly logical for Sirrus to say "I would but I don't have a chess set... they break so easily". Oh and the mechanics of the node are completely unexplained; on entering I instinctively clicked the symbol (thinking that would make noise), and instead was forced to move it somewhere where I didn't know how, or if, I could get it back.
Caveat: Thank you built-in help system.

Hardest yet Awesome: Three words: Big. Gold. Dome. I LOVE how the firemarble puzzle comes together. Granted, on my first full playthrough I walkthrough'ed to get it (primarily because my CD set outright refused to transition from Crater Island to the dome back door), but subsequent playthroughs I find myself digging out graph paper anyway; even though I know how it works (and have the marble positions memorized, dead serious, just not their colors yet) it's still so awesome to see it all fit into place and work.

Stupidest, just stupidest: *casts her vote for PotS time-based puzzles* Okay, 15 minutes isn't bad, I can wait that. *pellets bake* What? I have to wait 15 more for the pellet to drop to the lower cavern? Fine. *wait, plop, KIshot* WHAT now I have to sit still in a dark room until a nearly-invisible ladder appears in the dark. Not cool, PotS, not cool. Thank the Maker I was in high school for all my PotS playthroughs, and so had a graphing calculator with distracting games
Caveat: Although having the game-spanning puzzle in PotS come together as a Myst fireplace code was cool.

Stupidest, but forgivable: Honestly? Exile. Whole thing. To quote Saavedro, "running like a rat through a maze" dilutes the immediacy of "get Releeshahn back from Mr. Crazy!" Don't get me wrong, their composition is pretty cool, where you solve puzzles to proceed and then the finale takes you back to Start. I think my other gripe is it returns to the "hub" concept I perceive Myst as: one central Age with links to other puzzle-filled Ages, with one Age that will serve as the endgame; it felt like a step backwards after Riven's absolutely brilliant puzzles that used everything in the game to solve.
Caveat: But really, Amateria's finale makes it all better. Even if I've memorized its solutions too.

Crazy by IC standards: Fireflies. They had to be here somewhere. While the ultimate rules of the firefly mechanic make sense as gameplay restrictions, they still don't sit right as fireflies. I can understand the running/jumping limitation ("hey guys, let's follow this big person, HEY he's going fast, forget it, let's go somewhere else guys"), but the water thing makes no sense. Waterfall sure, if the flies really don't like water, rain too, but ankle deep in water doesn't translate to the flies getting wet. If anything, having some sort of puzzle where you need to block a waterfall, now wouldn't that make it better?

Crazy by OOC standards: Gahreesen. No way would I be insane enough to make those jumps, even with a Protection from Death spell in the form of the Relto book. Can you say "broken leg upon landing"? Seriously, just look at your landing next time you do that jump.

Best Payoff: Amateria, hands down. You just don't get many rollercoaster rides in the Myst series. Riven's firemarble puzzle comes in second for me, because I love the sound effect when the dome ignites.
Most Meh Payoff: The Uru pods. Sure you get a donut, and in Tetsonot you get *gasp!* light, but you aren't doing anything but waiting, or running calculations to figure out when to start waiting.

Best Area Visual: Dreamworld, even through Serenia's finale and beyond. It just looks so cool.
Tailgating Second: Kadish Tolesa, everything before the pyramid. That dominant purple is very soothing, and the sounds are just so still and calm. Direbo would be close third if it had any puzzle-solving to it.
Most Meh Area Visual: Minkata, honestly, since it's just sand and more sand. Until nightfall, then it's sand, more sand, and stars.

Best Node: The path to the last ride in Haven, just after the evil evil mangree calling finale. On my most recent playthrough I finally got that far, having never made the horns cooperate before, so I'm walking along, finally taking in the sights as I should be, and I see all the mangrees on the side of the path just looking all beady eyed at me. SO CUTE! I get up to Achenar's camping spot, and there's like five of them all sitting around looking curious, I just wanted to pet one. I've finished Revelation plenty of times, and Achenar's second journal is enough to exonerate him for me, but after seeing the mangrees at the end, there is simply no way Achenar could still be evil after spending years with them; a little loopy sure, but impossible to be evil.
Most Meh Node: K'veer in Myst V. We've all been there time and again, and Myst V just didn't seem to, I don't know, make it stand out. You start the game and it's like "oh, I'm in K'veer", whereas starting there in Riven or getting there in Uru was like "oh cool I'm in K'veer!". I'm not sure what it is about Myst V that reduced K'veer's cool factor for me.

* Admin has forcibly set </textwall>
"GET DOWN FROM THAT SOAPBOX YOUNG LADY!"
"Aww...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:43 am 

Now, I may only have Myst through Myst:Revalation, but I can confidently say:

Hardest:
Spider Chair. To fiery abyss with the spider chair. The age is awe-inspiring but the puzzles... I walk-throughed my way through that entire age first time around. But the spider chair...if someone makes a contraption like that in real life, I will hunt them down.

Stupidest:
Sliders. Those sliders at the beginning of M4. Like...They're not even challenging! They're just busywork. "Move slider left. Rinse. Repeat.". Definitely a puzzle just for puzzle's sake.

Craziest:
Amateria. The puzzles were extremely well formulated, and the way they clicked together in the end from one puzzle to the next and forming a huge rollercoaster...well, needless to say, Amateria is my most favorite age. Aesthetically, it is a beautiful place, the puzzles are challenging yet fun, and its epic movie at the end is so epic, I screencapped the entire movie and put the .wav file on my iTouch. (in retrospect, simply looking through the exile files for the .mov file would've been easier...)

Edit: I dunno why everyone says that the firemarbles was the hardest. I mean, traveling through the golden dome and all its infernal pathways provided more a mental challenge for me than being on top and placing marbles in their correct locations.

Truth be told, the second I saw the mold, I immediately thought "Survey Island" and knew I just had to figure out the right colors of the corresponding domes. The puzzle, overall, took me like, 5 mins (minus maglev travel time), most of which were scurrying back and forth to get the proper placement and colors. It was a fun puzzle, but not challenging in the least.

Last edited by Ekoz on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:58 am 

Quote:
The 'rainbow clouds' puzzle in Myst 4... that was the most bizarre 20 minutes of my life, ever.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never finished that puzzle as I get migraines from lights and sometimes computers and I just could not get them all the same, tho I came very close! But there is no way to "cheat" and walkthrough it, so I've yet to finish that game.

But, all in all, the wacky and satisfying puzzles all together are what make the Myst games THE BEST!

Oh, one element that drives me crazy is watching my avivi's tushie going up and down stairs, so I learned the spots where I could just jump down; a better view and faster!

You imitate the best. . .
the rest you memorize . . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:51 am 

Just plain stupid:
Serenia last puzzle. Who the heck thought this was a good idea?
The game was fantastic up to that point, so it felt like a last minute kick to the groin.

Hard but awesome:
Fire marble puzzle. Enough said.

Atmospheric:
Ahnonay. You don't really have to figure out how it works to solve it, but if you did without seeing the outside it was epic.

WTF man?:
Gareeshan jump.
1. Stare. :shock:
2. Scratch head. :?
3. "You can't be serious." :roll:
4. Go back to step 1 and repeat.

KI#: 01722221

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:42 pm 

I have to admit that I've used walkthrough's for most of the Myst games :oops:

But hardest had to be the Firemarbles puzzle in Riven

Most annoying one was the Monkey puzzle in Myst IV

Just plain stupid, as the previous poster said, was the Serenia last puzzle. And the colours triangle puzzle, as well.. Gave me a headache as I recall

I loved finding that hidden staircase/ladder in Riven, in Ameteria, I think. That was cool. Coolest puzzle was the rollercoaster ride. That, and the initial time I got on the transport thing in Riven and zoomed over to the other island. That was one of the most fun experiences I've had in any of the games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:07 pm 

Hardest: Animal

Craziest: Waiting 15 minuten in pots

Stupidest: Sound-labyrinth from Myst 1

Coolest: Endpuzzle of the Puzzleworld in Exile

Complicatedest: Ahnonay in Uru live

Eseast: Fireplace code in Revelation

Nicest: Winterworld in EoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:15 am 

Here goes my short list.
Best ride:
Thats gotta be the rollercoaster in Amateria

Most challenging puzzle:
Fire Marble puzzle Riven

Most Obfuscated, and annoying puzzle:
Ahnonay - renamed to To'Anoya :D

Most time wasted puzzle:
Watchers Sanctuary ladder

Best Artistic and IC Age outside of D'ni:
Todelmer

Best Animals in an Age:
Monkee's from Myst IV

Game which required the most hints to solve:
Revelation

Game that required the least:
Exile

Game that had a fantastic mixture of hints I need and not need:
Riven - Its just so much fun, i'll do it again.

Stupidest Puzzle:
Can you guess?
[spoiler]
The Pod Puzzle
Seemed they just put in a stupid puzzle for the fiery abyss of it cause we wanted more challenging puzzles, and then say, here is Negilahn and Dereno, there is a puzzle, but it will take you weeks to solve on your own so don't bother, wait till we release Payiferen in a few months
[/spoiler]

Best Easter Eggs in a game - Why no one has added this to the list?
Riven, though the feathers are a great one in MOUL, but Riven you would do over and over to see again and again

Best Easter egg:
My Favourite, is seeing the wireframe pic in Riven

Easter Egg you want added to a game that wasn't:
Fake linking (Minkata Link is an example) but coming back to find in MOUL thatt the Age is entirely wireframe, no textures, not visible solids, just wireframe everywhere.

Most unforeseen bug from MOUL days:
Superjumpin over the scope in the Tokotah rooftop telescope

The one thing to see fixed or added:
[spoiler]
My vote, the wall.
For too long now has that wall game ticled our fancy then taken away.

Bring it back!
[/spoiler]

Did I say short list?
My bad, sorry :D

Lian-Li PC-V1000 plus II case, 600W powersupply, Striker Extreme motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, nVidia 8800GTS 512, 2x1GB Corsair memory @ 800Mhz, 5.1 audio, wireless mouse, 200GB main hard disk.
Grogyan KI# 00793984 -> www.guildofwriters.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:00 pm 

My biggest problems were with the Monkey muzic, I have some sound damge to one ear due to being a sound person oh, so long ago (and the band played LOUD).

i HATE Minkata. I thought the dam flags were a clue. But NO. But I have it almost figured out now. But man, do my fingers get tired from all that running in the dark.

Loved Amateria, it was visually great, and the ending was great. I used to go back an replay it sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:07 am 

Hardest: I am racking my brain for the puzzle that most gave me the "I have no idea what to do" feeling. I don't know... I guess it could be the spider chair.

Stupidest: To me, the pellet puzzle is the worst. I actually had to listen for the clicks to make sure everything was in it's right spot. If you're off... wait 15 minutes to find out that you have to do it again.

Unlike the pellet puzzle, I loved the watcher's sanctuary and was disappointed not to see it in MO:UL. It felt like the most important puzzle of PotS was missing.

Most Unforgiving Puzzle: Riven's infamous marble puzzle. I didn't think it was extremely hard to figure out what to do, but if you didn't write down the position of the golden eye when you opened a dome.... you're screwed.

Favorite Puzzle: Discovering Ahnonay's secret. It was so creative.

Is there a place to list one's favorite game order?

From fav to least fav...

Exile
EoA
Uru
Riven
Myst
Revelation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:32 am 

Hardest: Spider Chair.

Stupidest: Spider Chair.

Most Unforgiving Puzzle: Mangree wheels

Favorite Puzzle: Narayan symbols

From fav to least fav...

Riven
Exile
Myst
Revelation
EoA

Best Easter egg: Gehn singing

Puzzle that I can always get but no one else can: Gahreesen jump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rel'een wrote:
Puzzle that I can always get but no one else can: Gahreesen jump.

Add me to that. I have no clue why other people have trouble with that.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next