It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:15 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:48 am 

Strange phenomena, from the bridge, looking at the entrance to the gallery, you can see patches of light moving with no avies around! Eerie!

Humble member of The Unbound Hearts of D'ni

KI #3537551

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:44 am 

So, I am not mad then having trouble getting down the Decent?

Even sidestepping in the dark!!! :lol:

Right shall give up on that one and concentrate on my pellets!!
And try and work out Mintaka!!!

Last edited by MickyTeddy on Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:23 pm 

Sir Pyke wrote:
My current theory/guess is that the light will get more and more fixed... until they are ready to let us walk down to the bottom of the shaft. It's like a progress bar.

Problem with this, is they would have to make a new thread of coding, or add collision to the current sides of the descent walkway, elsewise, we could just jump down from the link-in room and land at the bottom of the Great Shaft. my evidence being: The old trick where you could jump from the upper Bevin balcony into Bevin, even though it was over 4 stories high, and enough of a fall to potentially kill someone.

Sure it's unrealistic, and this is supposed to be a realistic game, but you have to notice it elsewhere, too, like the lower balcony jump in Bevin. It's not enough to kill, but still enough to seriously hurt and also in Eder Kemo (I think. The one with the lava) you can (if you time it right) jump from the Link In point, and land at the bottom patch of land, by the steam vent that throws you over the rocks and out of that puzzle.

So they'd either have to add a code that forces a panic-link based upon amount of time spent airborne, or add collision to the drill threads in Descent (Those of you who read Book of D'ni would know the reason I'm referencing it as drill threads), which would completly ruin the point of falling in the first place (to see the beautiful space we've grown accustomed to in Myst 5).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

I don't think any adjustments would be necessary... falling *that* far would definitely be deadly to you, and your avatar does have the ability to link out of other potentially deadly situations... if you fall off the pillars in Gahreesen, or off the path in Kadish Vault, or off the end of Tokotah Alley in D'ni, you panic link. I'll agree it'd be nice if the fall distance were more consistent between Ages, though...

On a side note, the 'hood Balcony Jump is and always was a bug; the Bahro stone in Kemo is the intended way to get to the classroom rooftop, which is why you can't do it anymore ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:07 pm 

Trunkuza wrote:
So they'd either have to add a code that forces a panic-link based upon amount of time spent airborne, or add collision to the drill threads in Descent (Those of you who read Book of D'ni would know the reason I'm referencing it as drill threads), which would completly ruin the point of falling in the first place (to see the beautiful space we've grown accustomed to in Myst 5).

All they would have to do is add a simple panic link region or two in the center of the shaft. Jump off and whoosh, back in Relto. No new code to add, as they already have this in the game engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:58 pm 

Yes, there are a couple of questionable leaps already. I think most of us would be a little crippled after the leap to the Bahro cave door in Gahreesan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Alahmnat wrote:
I'll agree it'd be nice if the fall distance were more consistent between Ages, though...

That would make it easier to tell if you're supposed to be able to jump somewhere or not, if you knew "hey that's farther than I can fall without panicking!" That little pond at the end of Gira always frustrates me because I can't figure out why we're not allowed down there. Compare to the similar area in Er'cana near the breach in tracks.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:39 pm 

Alahmnat wrote:
if you fall off the pillars in Gahreesen, or off the path in Kadish Vault, or off the end of Tokotah Alley in D'ni, you panic link.

Well yes, but those are also jumps onto a terrain abcess, where there's no technical "walkable" area. It's their way of preventing it from looking like your character is falling indefinitely, or through terrain (Example: the old bug where you could jump over the danger fence in the Cleft and walk hafway up the mountain. You'd fall through the terrain, because the mountain wasn't meant to really have any collision anyway, and you'd fall for a good 30-seconds before panic-linking out.) Examples of other unrealistic terrain-landing jumps, as has been pointed out: Gareesehn Bahro Door. I was also pointing out how the lower balcony jump (The balcony you link to from Kemo) also seems a little unrealisic. It's not *as* high, but it's still enough to sprain something. . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
lower balcony jump (The balcony you link to from Kemo)
That is not a balcony. It's the classroom roof.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:38 am 

Location: In the dark, behind you. With the glowsticks in my nose.
Rusty_Russell wrote:
Quote:

semantics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:21 am 

Overdrive wrote:
Rusty_Russell wrote:
Quote:

semantics.

It doesn't even look remotely like a balcony, so I don't know why people keep calling it that.

(Or something.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2