It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:50 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

Will we be getting the Maintainer's suit next episode?
Doubtful 39%  39%  [ 30 ]
More than likely 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Maybe later 50%  50%  [ 38 ]
Total votes : 76
 Post subject: Maintainer's Suit
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:37 am 

I wonder if it will become available... :wink:

Last edited by Crowley on Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:38 am 
Obduction Backer

Do you mean the Maintainer's suit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:39 am 

Yup. Let me change it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:17 am 

I wouldn't be that surprised if we never got the Maintainer's suit as permanent clothing. I think it might have originally been intended only to be used for the Wall (which, incidentally, I'm eagerly awaiting the re-opening of.) In fact, I sort of suspect the Wall got closed down because there was a glitch that let you get back to the city with a Maintainer's suit sometimes.

And, though it would certainly be in the interest of safety, something doesn't sit right with me about legions of indestructible explorers. It'd be a lot harder to instill any sense of potential dangers in the cavern when we have a piece of clothing that grants near-invincibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:51 am 

Sephoris wrote:
I wouldn't be that surprised if we never got the Maintainer's suit as permanent clothing. I think it might have originally been intended only to be used for the Wall (which, incidentally, I'm eagerly awaiting the re-opening of.) In fact, I sort of suspect the Wall got closed down because there was a glitch that let you get back to the city with a Maintainer's suit sometimes.

And, though it would certainly be in the interest of safety, something doesn't sit right with me about legions of indestructible explorers. It'd be a lot harder to instill any sense of potential dangers in the cavern when we have a piece of clothing that grants near-invincibility.

Actually, in the offline game, the wall can't be accessed, but stepping into the entry machine will give you the Maintainer's suit, which then appears in your wardrobe and can be worn anywhere. So, I'm thinking once the wall is enabled, the suit will be a one-time grab, like all the other clothing items. I don't know whether it will force you to wear it each time you go in there though, because I'm pretty sure I've seen video of people climbing the wall with no maintainer suit on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:39 pm 

I thought you could only get the Maintainer's suit if you Relto-ed out of the wall area, then it would be in your closet. Never seen anyone on the wall without a suit, though. Of course, there is a lot I haven't seen :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

OK.... Facts time.

In some versions of UU, the Gahreesen wall was enabled. Generally speaking, you could only climb it with the maintainer's suit on. (you had to go through the machine to get in there) And you could not leave the wall room with the suit on. (you had no Relto book with the suit on, and all the links out of the room dropped you into the maintainer nexus machine, which removed the suit.)

Some people found a bug which allowed them to fall out of the wall room, and of course, disabled relto or not, you will always panic link if you fall out of an age. After doing so, people could go pretty much anywhere with the suit on until they logged off. Upon logging back on, you would find your previous avatar configuration, with white hair.. <.< (some joked that there was bleach in the helmet) The suit was never added to your wardrobe. If you attempted to change clothes with the suit on, any changes you made would replace that segment of the suit. (so you could take off the helmet, and such) Your Relto book also remained disabled for the remainder of the session.. (a workaround was found for this, but I don't recall exactly what it was)

Since the wall area exists whether you're wearing the suit or not, I suspect that any evidence of wall climbing without a suit is the result of some KI hacking.. most likely flymode, or the ability to change your avatar on the fly.. (both features of the elusive adminKI from UU)

In either the path of the shell expansion or to D'ni, the Gahreesen suit machine was changed. The wall is still disabled, but the machine will give you the suit, without stealing your Relto book, and allow you to go anywhere with it. It will be added to your wardrobe as a "hair" option. If you select it, however, you get the full suit. I figure this was just Cyan's present to us when they made the expansion, and that the suit will once again be restricted to the wall area when it appears in live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:16 am 

Sort of an off-topic question, and one that probably requires more speculation than prior knowledge...

The DRCSite mentions "Gahreesen II" and the wall being related to it. Is the whole of Gahreesen II the wall, or is there another area that can (theorhetically) be accessed by completing the wall?

I guess we've never seen a second or third phase of an existing age go into effect, huh? I'm rather fond of Gahreesen and Teledahn, and look forward to these other phases go into effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:44 am 

Ravidrath wrote:
Sort of an off-topic question, and one that probably requires more speculation than prior knowledge...

The DRCSite mentions "Gahreesen II" and the wall being related to it. Is the whole of Gahreesen II the wall, or is there another area that can (theorhetically) be accessed by completing the wall?

I guess we've never seen a second or third phase of an existing age go into effect, huh? I'm rather fond of Gahreesen and Teledahn, and look forward to these other phases go into effect.

The expansion of existing ages is one of the most exciting aspects of Uru for me. In Myst, Riven, and the other earlier games, I would often see something off in the distance that looked intriguing (what's over that hill there?) - but once I completed the game, I knew that I would never get to see more of it.
Not the case with Uru - there is always that possibility of seeing what lies over that hill, beyond that broken rail, or behind that sealed door. And that's fantastic.

Gahreesen II probably contains just the Wall complex - which includes the Wall itself and the little room at the end. Further expansion to Gahreesen is probably covered by Gahreesen III.

If we do get the Wall activated this episode, we'll have quite a bit to do during the downtime. Jalak is supposed to allow user-made games of some sort - so we'd have Jalak, The Wall, Marker Missions, and Heek to fiddle with in our spare time. Hope things work out. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:50 am 

If anyone is still interested check this site out. Not sure if everything is correct or not, but its about the wall. Forgot to add that it does contain spoilers if you've never been there.

:spoiler:The Wall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:02 am 

Nadnerb wrote:
In either the path of the shell expansion or to D'ni, the Gahreesen suit machine was changed. The wall is still disabled, but the machine will give you the suit, without stealing your Relto book, and allow you to go anywhere with it.

It was in The Path of the Shell, for the record. :)

Tayr wrote:
Gahreesen II probably contains just the Wall complex - which includes the Wall itself and the little room at the end. Further expansion to Gahreesen is probably covered by Gahreesen III.

Gahreesen II is the wall and whatever areas are necessary for it to be playable.

Gahreesen III is the woods outside Gahreesen with very dangerous and deadly creatures, and won't be worked on for a very long time, if at all.

And goofy, thank you so much for that link. I sometime have to explain the wall to people, and never having actually played it, it's kind of difficult. Gotta love the pictures there, too. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:29 pm 

Oh, I remember step 12 on the website. If you weren't careful you would fall waist-high in the yellow lighted grates. LOL!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]