It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:06 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: What about ZERO?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:45 pm 

Silly question... maybe :D

Everyone seems to forget that any scale has an extra point on it that they all forget... the ZERO point. A scale that goes from 0 to 10 has 11 points if you count the zero.

Are there any pellet receipes that actually create pellets that have zero output on the tester machine in the silo and if so, what is the effect?

Post subject: Re: What about ZERO?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

johnsojc wrote:

Everyone seems to forget that any scale has an extra point on it that they all forget... the ZERO point. A scale that goes from 0 to 10 has 11 points if you count the zero.

Are there any pellet receipes that actually create pellets that have zero output on the tester machine in the silo and if so, what is the effect?

You can't start baking before you set all the sliders in the four machines to a value other than 0...

Oh, and you have 4 ovens so that you can use different settings in each! The most powerful AND quick recipes I've seen recquire you to set the ovens differently. And you get 5 pellets because the ovens simpy cook the substance that makes the pellets - this substance is then taken to the last room and compressed in 5 pellets.

Post subject: Re: What about ZERO?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:12 pm 

joaopedro wrote:
johnsojc wrote:

You can't start baking before you set all the sliders in the four machines to a value other than 0...

Please reread the question... Output reading on the tester in the silo, not the oven settings. Can you make a pellet that does not register anything on the tester?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

goofy wrote:
silly question, but why do we get 5 pellets when we have only 4 ovens?

Why do any given oven effect the others. Basicly if I set one oven one way and another way. why would either effect the other?

If they do thats rather stupid. Whats the point of having 4 ovens if all you have to do is set one? One oven could be built to cook as many pellets as you needed.

just seems rather silly and a waste.

There are some wrong assumptions there.

The ovens do not cook the pellets. They cook the recipe. The recipe is a mix based on the individual oven settings.

Yes, some ovens contribute more to the mix than others. But to make this even more complicated one oven has either a very powerful contribution or none at all, depending on its settings.

The machine in the pellet room produces the pellets from the recipe. That is why the number of pellets is not related to the number of ovens.

Post subject: Re: Types of pellets
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:19 pm 

IngisKahn wrote:

That's it, the effect corresponds the 10 levels displayed on the meter.
1 - Steam & Bubbles HIGH
2 - Steam & Bubbles MED
3 - Steam & Bubbles LOW or Floater (if the pellet is close to borderline)

This tickled my strangeness nerve. Does this really go HIGH to LOW and then floaters or did you accidently get it backwards? (All the other types went LOW to HIGH.)

(Then, again, maybe it does make sense. The pellets would have to settle down and just dissolve instead of reacting violently. If they are stable enough to not react but not good enough to dissolve and provide any nutrition for the hungry algae, then they would just be a floater. Anyway, just wanted to verify if this is the case or not.)

Last edited by johnsojc on Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:43 pm 

has anyone else beside me noted the number of different positions that the slider can be in? I got 250 different position for each slider. It will move to five "tics" from line to line. and if you think about it, just for the sliders, you can have 59,604,644,775,390,625,000,000,000,000 different cooking combinations if each slider is set different (not counting the 2 spots for zero)! that's not even taking into consideration the number of combinations from trying each recipe with the water filled/not filled and turbines rotating! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:54 pm 

Mister Cloak wrote:
has anyone else beside me noted the number of different positions that the slider can be in? I got 250 different position for each slider. It will move to five "tics" from line to line. and if you think about it, just for the sliders, you can have 59,604,644,775,390,625,000,000,000,000 different cooking combinations if each slider is set different (not counting the 2 spots for zero)! that's not even taking into consideration the number of combinations from trying each recipe with the water filled/not filled and turbines rotating! :shock:

Five "tics" from which line? Are you talking about each solid black line?

You forget that it seems most recipes have a tolerance of +/- 1 or 2... I would say you can safely say that each solid black line is effectively 5 units, which would put the number of combinations at "only" 244,140,625,000,000,000,000

And I believe someone tested the filled/not filled stuff and found that it doesn't affect anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Herohtar wrote:
Mister Cloak wrote:

Five "tics" from which line? Are you talking about each solid black line?

You forget that it seems most recipes have a tolerance of +/- 1 or 2... I would say you can safely say that each solid black line is effectively 5 units, which would put the number of combinations at "only" 244,140,625,000,000,000,000

And I believe someone tested the filled/not filled stuff and found that it doesn't affect anything.

I better get started if I'm gonna test them all. :wink:

KI# 02465190

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:02 pm 

Mister Cloak wrote:

Actually no. The control interface might have enough play in it to allow you to get 5 ticks per line but the detents are only .5. When you go back after the batch is done you will find your settings are either on a line or halfway between lines. I've seen the needle jump to a detent when going back to reset for a new formula.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:07 pm 

Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
I'm sure there are only 10 meter states.

There are 101 ticks on each slider (really 100 since you can't cook with 0).

Each slider has a different artificial maximum value so on average there's really only 80 positions.

The only variables affecting the recipe are the sliders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:21 am 
Obduction Backer

Rusty_Russell wrote:
tachzusamm, would you please be explicit about which oven I need to set, if not top left in my post? Thanks.

I thought i was explicit enough, hm... but okay:
[spoiler]bottom left[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:51 am 

Actually, I've found the sensitivity of the sliders to be more accurate than the black lines.

Test it out:

Set the second and third sliders to whatever you want. Set the time slider to the first black line. Cook it and record the time (should be 6 minutes).

Now, go back and drop time back to 0. Slide the control up until you hear an audible "click" sound and stop there - this should be a little more than halfway to the first black line. Cook and record - should be about 3:30.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:33 am 
Obduction Backer

tachzusamm wrote:
Rusty_Russell wrote:
tachzusamm, would you please be explicit about which oven I need to set, if not top left in my post? Thanks.

I thought i was explicit enough, hm... but okay:
[spoiler]bottom left[/spoiler]
Thank you. I anticipated that but it didn't tally with directions elsewhere, so I wanted to check.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:07 am 

Got a question, how are the bad pellets being tracked? I know for a fact they don't subtract any portion of your score but we've been told in various posts that not only are good pellets scores tracked but bad pellet drops are tracked too. How can players know though how successful or unsuccessful their efforts are if there isn't any indicators to show the extent of their efforts towards the bad side?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Yes, some ovens contribute more to the mix than others. But to make this even more complicated one oven has either a very powerful contribution or none at all, depending on its settings.

The machine in the pellet room produces the pellets from the recipe. That is why the number of pellets is not related to the number of ovens.

Yep
That's why I run with all 4 mixers activated in the control room at the moment. Each oven should contribute as efficient as possible.
That is also what should be the full operational status according the plant schedule available in the control room.
I use the cloth to get back near the pellet pressure room.

I reported a bug that my 3 switchable mixers don't show any water althoug the control panel tells me they're completely activaded. Cyan confirmed the bug and has put it on the to be fixed list.

I also made the suggestion that the status of the 4 mixers on or of should have more influence on the pellet score. My impression is that that is not the case at the moment yet. The reply was that that might be a good idea! :idea:

However with this setting I'm running a steady 4 x (30, 30 30) production with scores per pellet in the range 960 .. 1000. :lol:
I only lost 2 pellets, so far due to neterrors that occurred during the link with a pellet selected to the test silo :evil:
But OK 112K+ is not to bad for a 1 week score :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 30  Next