It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:34 pm 

Ravidrath wrote:
I'm pretty sure they've clearly defined linking as requiring interdimenional transportation, and different dimensions are different universes.

That's certainly part of it, as your Silly Putty example illustrates there must be different dimensions. Also, some of the Ages, such as Riven or Catherine's Torus Age, also have different physical laws, so they can't possibly be in our universe.

But, I'm not sure that it is impossible to have different Ages in the same universe, widely separated in space and/or time. Some of the statements in the BoT seem to imply this.

For example, if one Age is covered in ice and snow and another Age is a steamy jungle, how would you know if they were different universes or just the same planet separated by millions of years of time, such as Earth's ice ages and carboniferous age? Even an astronomical study wouldn't prove anything, since there could be multiple universes with the same star pattern. You would never know.

For another example, suppose that one Age was in our galaxy and another was 10 galaxies to the left? Again, you would never be able to prove that the two Ages were or weren't in the same universe.

It would be pretty cool to link to the Transcend, though. :) (Except that your lifespan would be measured in the nanoseconds it took for a Power to notice you.) Man, I wish Vinge would pick up the pace of his writing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

I originally posted about just one universe, and no dimensional travel because I felt a rant building due to stoopid science fiction movies where the characters used solar system and galaxy, for example, interchangeably. I think I've even read a few books where the author had no clue about the word he or she was using.

I'm not accusing anyone here of that, I just get a little testy about mis-use of terms where a number of people had the opportunity to fix it and didn't.

I bow to those who have studied the Uruverse much more than I. Around here, I'm one of those who doesn't look behind the green curtain, I just go with the flow. I'm sure the cyantists have it all covered, somehow, somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:30 am 

BrettM wrote:
But, I'm not sure that it is impossible to have different Ages in the same universe, widely separated in space and/or time. Some of the statements in the BoT seem to imply this.

Yeah, I think you could have multiple ages in the same universe, but they'd have to be written from different universes, and it would be purely by coincidence.

The only way to test if two ages are in the same universe or not would be to have linking books to every age in every age and see if any of them don't work - if they don't, then they're those two ages are in the same universe.

And, yes, Vinge is a slow writer. I'd really like to read what is (presumably) the next real Zones book where Pham tracks down the Cavorite and discovers the transcend. But I still need to read his last book anyway, so that should tide me over until then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:28 pm 

Teknobubba wrote:
, I just get a little testy about mis-use of terms

yeah.....!!!

Don't even start me on people who think a "Light Year" is a measure of time........... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:49 pm 

Location: In the dark, behind you. With the glowsticks in my nose.
well it could be?... I mean it ends up being 7dog years every light year
:D