It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:38 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:38 pm 

Location: In the dark, behind you. With the glowsticks in my nose.
Well the patcher is up and the files are updated.... and wow theres a lot of changes.

Specifically what you may end up hearing. I know some of you don't like audio mining, but I like some of the scores that they release so I check everything.

Anyways -
[spoiler] The addition of Ahnonay sounds. Lots of them. But... its just the first version. Odd that they would only update (perhaps release) one aspect of Ahnonay... unless of course That particular age will be split into its 4 respective parts over the next few months?? Jalak might be the second half of our current ring... Ahnonay being a 4 part age progression... That would sort of suck since they'd be stretching that out IMO way too long.

That being said, some of the new sounds from Kirel are fascinating...
Check out krelGardenLights_Solution.ogg... that sound we're familiar with but theres something MUCH more interesting... listen for it ;)

Jalak though, sounds amazingly energy based. Clearly the screen shots gave away spoilers to some extent, but now the puzzle has its new element. Many of the audio bites indicate a much higher and much more advanced form of energy interaction. Also, the pillars sound like they move (probably up and down). The increased complexity should make this puzzle something to look forward to.
[/spoiler]

Also, while I wont actually READ the prp files, most have been updated. But what is most notable is
[spoiler] The addition of several Garrison_District_.. files. I don't remember seeing those before but that MIGHT be inferred that the Game wall might be up. In light of this episode to focus on the release of an arena, why not make it 2? Its possible.
[/spoiler]

I'm looking very forward to the next week.

Edit: [spoiler] They also seem to have added a few KI-hancement files. Perhaps some of the updates we've been requesting are going to be implemented(?)[/spoiler]

Oh, and the obligatory Release notes
Quote:
Episode 7

“Familiar Voices”

The newly-elected D’ni Restoration Council (DRC) releases its first Age - Jalak. Jalak features an ancient arena that was once used for D’ni competitions and will allow Explorers to compete and even create their own games.

Though Cate Alexander has been elected to lead the DRC, there still remains a power struggle within the Council and it begins to spread throughout the cavern. Also, rumors of a war continue to grow as a voice from the past returns to offer new hope.

Fixes for this update

- Recent Folder in the KI has been limited to 50 entries (The pruning of this list will occur upon the next update to the list. That means that as soon as someone not already on your list is added, you will then see the change).
- KI: Fixed a typo in the displayed text for the 'thumbsdown' emotes (thumbsdown *from* <avatar name> instead of thumbsdown *for* <avatar name>).
- Fix for losing your Great Zero link after switching to or creating another neighborhood. If you have already finished your green marker missions, just return to the Great Zero Observation and insert your KI into the upload machine and you will once again have a Great Zero link.
- Watcher's Pub: Removed a few blank pages at the end of the Watcher's Journal
- Fixed a bug causing sound to be disabled until restart after adjusting the EAX setting.
- Cleft: Fixed a bug that could cause you to get stuck in the bridge ropes
- Cleft: Fixed a bug causing the camera to get stuck near the bucket Journey Cloth sometimes
- Relto: Added the correct bookmark to the Ercana book
- City: Adjusted collision on the Gallery blockers to prevent jumping over them from the gallery side
- City: Fixed typos in the Mararon and Hemelin journals
- Neighorhood: Fixed a typo in the KI manual in the classroom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:54 am 

That's an impressive bugfix list.

Recent folder pruning AND GZ courtyard bug fixed.

:D

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:10 am 

Maratanos wrote:
GZ courtyard bug fixed.

:D

Hurrah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:58 am 

Let's see what we can find.

The Spyroom got updated, along with minor bumps to the areas in Teledahn where the Spyroom was placed previously. Given the nature of the puzzle in Kirel, it may very well be that it will now be included in the game.

Our Bevins have been updated with a Private Room. It's about time that we had access to it. I don't know what it'll be used for but it could be interesting in application -- we are rapidly running out of room in our Relto for new ages at the rate they've been going.

The Great Tree Pub has been modified. Here's hoping that the puzzle gets turned on, although I have my doubts about that.

Kirel and Jalak have already been discussed, and their relative files are in the database. Kirel is a modified Bevin while Jalak is a small Age (roughly 2/5s of Kadish Tolesa, or a little bit bigger than Eder Delin) with an Arena component. Of course it's designed to be a deeper Age but we'll see -- personally, I like to run around a bit and get a sense of an area.

Looks like our five Guilds will be Cartographers, Greeters, Maintainers, Messengers, and Writers. Most of these already have a substantial structure among the explorers, so no surprises here. The Guild of "Writers" promises to be intriguing.

Looks like Gahreesen has had its files modified -- it appears that the new KI-hancements will finally allow us to access the second floor in the entrance structure, which just makes my day. I've been wanting to get in there for three years. Also, the Gahreesen arena may have been enabled or at least modified to make it closer to active.

A strange new age file called simply "StartUp.age". I have no idea what this could be but given how little there is, it seems as if this is either a placeholder or a called link to download an age into. Either way it speaks to potential for expansion.

A very intriguing file named psnlMYSTII.php. Fascinating name, considering the new slot in the library in Relto, all the way at the end of the bottom shelf. I would have to suggest that we'll be using just that spot for a new book in due time.

My intuition, however, leads me to believe that we're missing several things that have been hinted at by the Quabs from Ah'nonay making an appearance, as well as the psnlMYSTII file and the "startup.age" file. I suspect that more than one new Age will be downloaded when you discover the book, as it was back in the beginning, so as to preserve some surprise. After all it can be hard to shock file-divers.

All in all, seems to be a whole lot of crap as compared to last month. Thus far I'm pretty impressed at Cyan's productivity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:28 am 
Obduction Backer

Shoemaker wrote:
Our Bevins have been updated with a Private Room. It's about time that we had access to it. I don't know what it'll be used for but it could be interesting in application -- we are rapidly running out of room in our Relto for new ages at the rate they've been going.

The Private Room has been there for some time. Most people call it the Egg Room though.

Quote:
A strange new age file called simply "StartUp.age". I have no idea what this could be but given how little there is, it seems as if this is either a placeholder or a called link to download an age into. Either way it speaks to potential for expansion.

It's the avatar selection screen ;).

Quote:
A very intriguing file named psnlMYSTII.php. Fascinating name, considering the new slot in the library in Relto, all the way at the end of the bottom shelf. I would have to suggest that we'll be using just that spot for a new book in due time.

Sorry to burst three bubbles in a row, but that's the main PRP file for Relto. It's been there since day 1 :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:26 am 

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the other changes.

new emote: /wavebye

the imager on the right in Bevin will now display your pellet scores if you click the icon(see pic)

and I thought there was something else but I can't think of what it is now...

Oh yeah, aside from the new dividers on the bookshelf, there is also a new pedestal in the Library by the Minkata book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:50 pm 

Gah! Busted left and right.

OK, so PSNL is the Relto age... StartUp is literally what it seems like... and the Private Room isn't in fact the room under the ledge but the Egg Room. Okay. I figured that they'd just call the Egg Room the Egg Room (or not bother, link the files in with the classroom) but there you go. I imagine if I explored the archives for Myst Online I'd find some obscure reference to the Egg Room being called the Private Room from the beginning.

STILL pretty sure that Cyan's holding back something relevent, and that the last slot on the bottom right is going to play into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

The Egg Room is the explorer community's pet name for the room... Cyan has always called it the Private Room (and honestly, I wish more people would... "Egg Room" does little to explain what the room's actual purpose is).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:04 pm 

Location: In the dark, behind you. With the glowsticks in my nose.
I'm still curious to the revelation of Ahnonay. We've only just received the sound files for the quabs, and yet I clearly remember there being sound and animation files for swimming, switch releases, crystal shattering and lots and lots of water etc.

Clearly we get Ahnonay in August... but how much of it? If they decide to release the one quab segment first, and subsequent parts of the age each extra month to draw it out... I'm concerned about the community response to something like that. Granted, the age is huge, but IMO not 4 months huge, especially with its ties to Er'cana - if I'm right (which I hope I'm not) that would mean we wont see how that Bahro cavern works until December.
5 week development/release cycle basically equates to 4 episodes every 5 months... :?

Time will tell I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:40 pm 

Overdrive wrote:
- City: Adjusted collision on the Gallery blockers to prevent jumping over them from the gallery side

aww :(

But I see how this is necessary so, don't take me wrong :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Alahmnat wrote:
The Egg Room is the explorer community's pet name for the room... Cyan has always called it the Private Room (and honestly, I wish more people would... "Egg Room" does little to explain what the room's actual purpose is).

it got that name from the easter egg in the offline Bevin

if you push the garden lights in the right order you can then open the door just like with Kirel to get to the linking stones

but the room in Bevin the egg thing in the center was painted like and easter egg. and that is where the name egg room came from

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nope, it got that name long before then. But a nice guess :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:17 pm 

Overdrive wrote:
I'm still curious to the revelation of Ahnonay. We've only just received the sound files for the quabs, and yet I clearly remember there being sound and animation files for swimming, switch releases, crystal shattering and lots and lots of water etc.

Clearly we get Ahnonay in August... but how much of it? If they decide to release the one quab segment first, and subsequent parts of the age each extra month to draw it out... I'm concerned about the community response to something like that. Granted, the age is huge, but IMO not 4 months huge, especially with its ties to Er'cana - if I'm right (which I hope I'm not) that would mean we wont see how that Bahro cavern works until December.
5 week development/release cycle basically equates to 4 episodes every 5 months... :?

Time will tell I suppose.

Thanks for doing the dirty work of the file diving, Overdrive. I appreciate your updates on that stuff, even if some people consider it "snooping". :)

Also, I think we're definitely going to get the entire age of Ahnonay in "Episode 8: The Entire Age of Ahnonay", it seems to be right there in the title :wink: and all of the different phases of the age are connected to solving it. To release them in any form other than complete would just be obnoxious. And so far Cyan has not released any single age that was unsolveable within itself. Even though Er'cana and Ahnonay were loosely related in the original release, it's understandable why they want to inject their new content inbetween those releases. It keeps everyone interested, especially us die-hard fans who already own and have played those ages a few times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:13 pm 

This is why the Private Room got it's other name.

The Egg Room;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

I first encountered the "egg room" name early in the Ubi Beta back in early 2003, long before the stand-alone game came out. The "easter egg" is an homage to the earlier name, or perhaps the the early adoption of the name was an homage to the sneak previews given to some of the even earlier Cho testers. But the "egg room" name definitely predates the public appearance of the "easter egg". :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next