It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:13 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

MercAngel wrote:
Alahmnat wrote:
The Egg Room is the explorer community's pet name for the room... Cyan has always called it the Private Room (and honestly, I wish more people would... "Egg Room" does little to explain what the room's actual purpose is).

it got that name from the easter egg in the offline Bevin

Actually, people were calling it that back in the '03 UbiSoft beta. :)

[edit] Beaten to the punch. Darn work distractions ;).

Last edited by Alahmnat on Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
- Relto: Added the correct bookmark to the Ercana book

That one had been driving me nuts! The new journey cloths in Er'cana are green, but the bookmark was still blue, as in POTS. I'm surpised no one else mentioned it... oh, wait, I never mentioned it either.

Well, did anyone else at least notice it? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Note:
Here are a few excerpts from the old forum (names and other incriminating evidence removed :wink: )

July 2003
Just curious. Does anyone go to the Egg Room anymore now that's it's not really necessary to do so? I haven't heard anything about it since the Egg Expedition at the beginning of June. It was very useful when we were still able to play marker tag in the 'hood. Is it just a quiet place where we can go to contemplate Uru? What is its purpose?

They are called private rooms.. Presumably so 3 or 4 people can go in there (when it goes live and there is actually a chance of getting more than 3 or 4 people in a Bevin at one time...) and talk in private? I don't know how this would work as I believe the normal age speech goes outside these rooms from inside... Maybe its for voice chat? Maybe it isn't actually implemented fully yet... I do know that it isn't exactly a quiet place to go as the noise in there is pretty loud...

I laugh at myself-first time around-I was mapping the stars there,thinking it was part of a puzzle.

I think it would be fun if they had some in game "easter eggs" in that place! Is it just me or does that room remind me of something Bajorian on Deep Space Nine?

I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who mapped those stars!
Unlike Myst and Riven, I seem to have spent an awful lot of time in Uru working out bogus solutions to non-existent puzzles...

ah, the egg expidition.. good times.

It seems to me that this egg room should have some purpose within the larger D'ni culture.. I mean its incorporated into each of our neighborhoods in the same fashion as the classroom, which suggests its something integral to ancient D'ni lifestyle. My guess is that its function is not yet 'implemented' into uru itself... Im hoping that its some sort of interface to a D'ni research library, D'ni map device or more a robust messaging system.. the place seems designed for independant study/meditation/work.

I've been re-reading the book of Ti'ana and it seems to me that Bevin is a lower-city neighborhood, meaning it was lived in by commonfolk... the classroom is a clue to that as well.. all upper-crust kids went into large guild dormatorys, not neighborhood classrooms. My point being the Egg must be something usefulland required for the day-to-day living D'ni... I highly doubt its some abstract, cloistered and esoteric room whos only purpose is to have a floating stone look trippy. we'll see.

I always call it the Chapel. I figured, it's where they went to pray.

Hmmmm...we always wondered where Eddie came from. Do you think it's a hatchery?

June 1, 2003

Join us in "THE EGG BEVIN" (DRC 3) ... we're trying to get at least 5 people into the egg room. more would be preferable so we can see what happens OUTSIDE the room (if anything)... several of us have been trying to assemble a team for awhile...

Heh, I was wondering what would happen after closing all 5 doors. Nothing, eh? Oh well.

It's Gotta have some.....thing. I mean, it looks like a heavy duty power source room. It's about the same size as the Riven generator in Exile. That 'egg', which is probably some morphable organic pod, it ain't there for nothing. If it's just there for 'looks', I think they could've spent their energy incorporating it into a puzzle somehow. I guess certain rooms in the Neighborhood may be accessable in the future that may power this easter egg up.

The jury is still out on the egg. We determined many many builds ago that it is either a) inert or b) not fully implemented as a part of a puzzle. When the extended D'ni history Journals became available there was a brief buzz that this might be the Great Zero of D'ni, the first spot of construction for EVERYTHING in the cavern..

It was decided that it probably wasnt TGZ. I think we last settled on the fact that it may be nothing more then a fancy D'ni meditation chamber. Time will tell, I suppose.

My experience is it works great as a type of confessional- two people go in and can't be heard talking by anyone else in the Age. of course, this same effect is achived by going into private chat, but still, they could be used for privacy in this respect.

Maybe it's just a D'ni Motel 6....or 5.

I think it is not an egg... it is a lotus! If you lok at the outside of the chamber carefully, it looks like an open lotus, and it looks like there are petals on the big round thing inside (not a "smooth" egg). And on the podium, it looks like a lotus slowly opening, the left shows partially open and the right shows fully open.

Maybe they will add buttons or something, I'm not sure...

oh groan... hope they do!!! I find that room ab-so-loo-te-ly Booooring. Pretty in the centre, still boring. Perhaps another "egg" expedition should be planned so we can get new opinions? (and offer ideas for further creative work).

This is a tree-pod future game development, dontcha know. Everything develops around the Great Tree. Look at the design of the great tree Root design on the Grand Staircase.

so, what would happen if everyone went in their little room, closed the door, and then linked to Relto? Impossible to open back up?

I've found that if I stand in there long enough, the door opens automatically. So no, I don't think we could leave it closed. It's the utter silence thing that gets me, once those doors are closed you can't 'hear' squat unless someone PMs you personally. This, of course, makes it hard to coordinate people once inside. I've participated in several Egg Expeditions (notice I didn't use the obvious pun) only to find myself standing there waiting for instructions after too many people got bored and left, rendering any experiments useless. ;_;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:27 am 

After the updates, has anyone else noticed the shell journey clothes are not blue anymore, their green.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:35 am 
Obduction Backer

Scorpionrose wrote:
After the updates, has anyone else noticed the shell journey clothes are not blue anymore, their green.

From the Release Notes:
Release Notes wrote:
Fixes for this update
- Cleft: Fixed a bug causing the camera to get stuck near the bucket Journey Cloth sometimes
- Relto: Added the correct bookmark to the Ercana book
- City: Adjusted collision on the Gallery blockers to prevent jumping over them from the gallery side
- City: Fixed typos in the Mararon and Hemelin journals
- Neighorhood: Fixed a typo in the KI manual in the classroom

Ki #782729

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:36 am 
Obduction Backer

Texana wrote:
I always call it the Chapel. I figured, it's where they went to pray.

A rather astute observation, actually... it's currently my theory (with initial work done by Gadren and a few others whose names escape me) that it's a meditation room, based on the D'ni Creation Myth document that the SDK got a while back. Root of the Great Tree and all that. :)

As for the shell cloth colors... I actually only really realized that the bookmark cloth was still blue while the Er'Cana cloths had been made green after reading the release notes. Reflecting, I'd noticed it, but my brain had filed it away as an SEP (Adams references FTW ;)).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:57 am 

Alahmnat wrote:
Reflecting, I'd noticed it, but my brain had filed it away as an SEP (Adams references FTW ;)).

S.E.P. = Someone Else's Problem (a.k.a. things you see but your brain chooses not to recognize because its not your problem.)

Sorry, had to clarify for non-Douglas Adams fans. Of course, I hope there are none of those sort of people lurking around here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:23 am 

Location: In the dark, behind you. With the glowsticks in my nose.
Just erect a SEP field around them and then they'll be somone else's problem :)

On the topic of the egg room, what do you suppose they've got planned for that area in Kirel... Bob'o Goobo doesn't seem like it applies anymore :?, and the audio implies theres much more mechanics behind the right solution. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:45 am 

Honestly? I'd expect that it would take three people pushing the buttons at one time to get it to work. Teamwork and all that. We haven't seen a whole lot of teamwork stuff since Delin and Tsogahl were released, so something new for more than one person could be welcomed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:06 am 
Obduction Backer

I'll take a wild guess here...
[spoiler]It's a giant game of Tetris - D'Ni style with BIG stones! :lol: [/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:29 pm 

Am I imagining things, or has the Kahlo Pub become more damaged recently? It just seems like more of the tables and chairs are broken or fallen over than I remember.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:40 pm 

The Noble Robot wrote:
That one had been driving me nuts! The new journey cloths in Er'cana are green, but the bookmark was still blue, as in POTS. I'm surpised no one else mentioned it... oh, wait, I never mentioned it either.

Well, did anyone else at least notice it? :lol:

I actually noticed it and asked a ResEng and was told that it was ok the way it was... and now they fixed it *a bit confused* ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

I wonder how we will use the pellet totals in the Hoods? I see that you lose them from your total after loading to the Hood imager (good idea... "crunch away, we'll make more!")

Cheers,

Dadguy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:56 am 

Back at the original topic, I have been sound-snooping (it is how I get my soundtracks) and I have been trying to identify the 3- to 5-letter codes for the ages. Tell me if I'm right:

ahny=Ahnonay
bhro=Bahro Cave
clft=Cleft
dln_=?
drn=Dereno
dsnt=Descent (Great Shaft)
erca=Er'cana
gd01=Eder Kemo (Garden 1)
gira=Eder Gira
grsn=Gahreesen
grtz=Great Zero
islm=Ae'gura (Island)
jlak=Jalak
kdsh=Kadish Tolesa
kemo=Eder Kemo (too?)
mink=Minkata
nb01=Bevin (Neighborhood 1)
ngln=Negilahn
nxus=Nexus
payi=Payiferen
psnl=Relto (Personal Age)
rstr=The Watcher's Pub (The Restorer's Pub)
tetso=Tetsonot
tldn=Teledahn
tmna=Tomahna (actually the Rainy Cleft - why?)
tso_=?

Can anyone fill the question marks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:01 am 

di gama wrote:
Back at the original topic, I have been sound-snooping (it is how I get my soundtracks) and I have been trying to identify the 3- to 5-letter codes for the ages. Tell me if I'm right:

ahny=Ahnonay
bhro=Bahro Cave
clft=Cleft
dln_=?
drn=Dereno
dsnt=Descent (Great Shaft)
erca=Er'cana
gd01=Eder Kemo (Garden 1)
gira=Eder Gira
grsn=Gahreesen
grtz=Great Zero
islm=Ae'gura (Island)
jlak=Jalak
kdsh=Kadish Tolesa
kemo=Eder Kemo (too?)
mink=Minkata
nb01=Bevin (Neighborhood 1)
ngln=Negilahn
nxus=Nexus
payi=Payiferen
psnl=Relto (Personal Age)
rstr=The Watcher's Pub (The Restorer's Pub)
tetso=Tetsonot
tldn=Teledahn
tmna=Tomahna (actually the Rainy Cleft - why?)
tso_=?

Can anyone fill the question marks?

dln would probably be Delin and tso would be Tsogal? its the only two ages we have that u didn't list

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next