It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:42 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 24  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:57 am 

Calumon wrote:
i thought Myst3:Exile was made by presto studios? *gets box* yeah, "Presto Studios" "cyan" and ubi as the publisher...so wouldnt the Myst3 ages belong to them and not ubisoft???

-Calumon

A non-existent company cannot hold copyright to anything. Presto Studios went out of business soon after the release of Exile. As the business was dissolved, the copyright would transfer to the publisher, Ubisoft.

The assets from the game, should any exist, are probably in Ubi's hands as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:00 am 
Obduction Backer

klaxen wrote:
Whilyam wrote:
Something about Riven/Exile/Revelation ages. We *might* see those one day, but I wouldn't count on it. Keep in mind those were pre-rendered. It's going to take a while to make those into Uru-compatible ages. I doubt Cyan would be willing to put that kind of effort into it until they had some really nice funding.

With the exception of the Tay Age, Riven will most certainly not make an appearance. remember, The Fifth Age was unstable and fell apart at the end. evidence of the Canonization of this can be found in the cleft. Therefore, Riven will NOT be seen

Ahhh, but therein lies the beauty of instancing and the Great Tree. Since there are (seemingly) an infinite number of versions of every Age, there must be an Infinite number of Rivens out there. All Cyan has to do is bring in a little more of that "yeesha magic" and poof! Rivens for all!

But I do think that they should work on new Ages for awhile, before bringing in a lot of old Ages.

KI#00149165

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:58 am 

subumbra wrote:
A non-existent company cannot hold copyright to anything. Presto Studios went out of business soon after the release of Exile. As the business was dissolved, the copyright would transfer to the publisher, Ubisoft.

The assets from the game, should any exist, are probably in Ubi's hands as well.

Presto still exists, it just isn't doing anything. It is also by no means guaranteed that Ubi would get the copyrights if Presto were to be dissolved. A (solvent) company is generally free to distribute its assets as it sees fit during voluntary liquidation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:55 pm 

i didnt know about that...but...be back in a bit! dinner!!!

-Calumon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:36 am 

Tesseract wrote:
SCGreyWolf wrote:
I bet they kept the models. ;)

I'm sure they did. It would still be loads of "fun" converting the Softimage files into 3ds Max format, plus getting equivalents to all the Mental Ray shaders into Plasma's renderer. Also, even though it is 10 years old, Riven had poly counts that were bordering on the insane for pre-rendered graphics at the time. "Temple Island has more than 2 million faces, 20,872 models, 96 lights, 17,985 textures and thousands of texture and material shaders" [1]. Getting that to render in real time on reasonable hardware would take some downscaling.

I do hope we see realRiven in a much-improved version of Plasma in a few years' time. :)

I didn't say it would be simple, but they DID do it for realMyst. ;)

EDIT: From your provided link:
"Riven's models are equally detailed from 360 degrees. "There are things on the backsides of models that the player will never see," says Tim Greenberg, CG artist/animator."

That means if they do still have the scenes, it might be easier to port to a real-time engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
That means if they do still have the scenes, it might be easier to port to a real-time engine.

No, actually, it means it would probably be harder. If there's stuff on the back of a model that you're never going to see, it's wasting space and thus bogging down the engine.

Riven would need to be re-built from scratch for realtime, there's jut no getting around it. Putting aside the fact that 3DS MAX cannot, as far as I'm aware, import 10-year-old SoftImage|3D files, the scenes are built partly out of NURBS, rather than actual polygons. NURBS are mathematical constructs, sort of like 3-dimensional vector images. Thus, they do not suffer from faceting (where you can see separate faces of what's supposed to be a smooth object, like a sphere) like polygonal models do. The problem, of course, is that the Plasma engine doesn't support NURBS at all; everything has to be polygons. On top of that, the scenes in Riven were over 2 million polygons each with textures reaching into the dozens of megabytes in size and highly advanced shaders... Plasma can certainly pump out large numbers of polygons, but 2 million polys with high-resolution textures and film-quality shaders on them is, I think, beyond even its capabilities. All of that work would need to be re-tooled by hand to accommodate Plasma's limitations.

Keep in mind also that Myst was several orders of magnitude simpler than Riven. Its scenes were nowhere near as large, and its texturing requirements were fairly modest. Re-building Myst's Ages from scratch (which they did do) was thus far less of a problem than re-building Riven would be, and it took a team of 30 people 18 months to make realMYST (compared to the two-man team that built Myst in 2 years). By comparison, it took 30 people 4 years to build Riven. If Cyan decided to convert Riven to realtime, I don't think they'd be doing much else for quite a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:37 am 

Alahmnat wrote:
Quote:

No, actually, it means it would probably be harder. If there's stuff on the back of a model that you're never going to see, it's wasting space and thus bogging down the engine.

I agree that Riven would probably have to be redone. It wouldn't be possible to do a direct import of the Age into a program and make it Plasma compatible. Though, they could probably salvage some of the data.

However, you misunderstand what was meant by things on the back of the models -- they meant they modeled Riven entirely; even the back sides of buildings, etc. that you never ever see. Thus, the point was, if they *did* make Riven in real-time, they wouldn't have to make up those parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:48 am 

Alahmnat wrote:
the two-man team that built Myst in 2 years

Nitpick: Myst had a few more people than just Rand and Robyn working on it, including Chuck Carter, Chris Brandkamp, and RAWA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:16 am 

Well...what will happen in season finel...

I say a huge oblivion gate will open above the lake.A huge mechine with some bad bahro will come out of it.The play will meet the DRC ResEngs gaurds and after killing some bad bahro,he will have to enter the city proper,and tell martin about the amu...

Ho,sorry,wrong game :P

Long live the emperor! :wink:

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:42 pm 

Sorry, but that gave me visions of the droid army in Star Wars- rows and rows of them all standing up at the same time...

Did the D'ni develop anything like a Gungan shield?

"Always consider the Whole, Atrus. Always look at the interrelatedness of things and remember the 'whole' of one thing is always just a part of something else, something larger." wisely spoken by Anna- "The Book of Atrus"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:57 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Jenine wrote:
Did the D'ni develop anything like a Gungan shield?

Ever see a link bubble? Yeah. Gungan technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:31 pm 

Will I have to roll all of my firemarbles at the enemy or can I keep a few?

"Always consider the Whole, Atrus. Always look at the interrelatedness of things and remember the 'whole' of one thing is always just a part of something else, something larger." wisely spoken by Anna- "The Book of Atrus"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:00 pm 

Sorry don't mean to sidetrack but it might go like this?

Beep, beep, beep, da, da, beep, beep, beep- "This is an Action Cavern News Flash! The sea of orange cone-headed explorers are gathering on the steps near the center of the city. Each looks well armed with two firemarbles - ready to face the enemy. Laxman of the DRC is trying his best with a the help of a few new maintainer guild members to activate the D'ni sheild- constructed with Gungan technology. The best of the Gungan minds helped to build this machine. Will it hold up to the surprising onslaught? Looks like explorers that are not prepared to join in the front ranks are dropping of their supply of firemarble at the depot in Kirel- in order for the front ranks to remain well supplied. The guilds will be handling the distribution of this supply. Donations are pouring in from all neighborhoods as the explorers gather in their bevins to hear the news. Many are waiting in an eerie silence with their hands hovering over their Relto pages. Wait, we are now getting word that the Bad Bahro army is beginning to emerge from the lake.... what will be the outcome of this confrontation....? stay tuned for more breaking news.

(turns to staff- Hey, anyone got a KI shot of the conflict? Just get them to sign the release and let's get it on the pub imagers- your wasting time! Hurry!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tesseract wrote:
Alahmnat wrote:
the two-man team that built Myst in 2 years

Nitpick: Myst had a few more people than just Rand and Robyn working on it, including Chuck Carter, Chris Brandkamp, and RAWA.

Nitpick back: I was actually referring to Robyn and Chuck, the artists, though for the sake of completeness I probably ought to have said 5 in any case, since the 30-man team on Riven was more than just the artists too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:59 pm 

Jenine wrote:
Sorry don't mean to sidetrack but it might go like this?

Beep, beep, beep, da, da, beep, beep, beep- "This is an Action Cavern News Flash! The sea of orange cone-headed explorers are gathering on the steps near the center of the city. Each looks well armed with two firemarbles - ready to face the enemy. Laxman of the DRC is trying his best with a the help of a few new maintainer guild members to activate the D'ni sheild- constructed with Gungan technology. The best of the Gungan minds helped to build this machine. Will it hold up to the surprising onslaught? Looks like explorers that are not prepared to join in the front ranks are dropping of their supply of firemarble at the depot in Kirel- in order for the front ranks to remain well supplied. The guilds will be handling the distribution of this supply. Donations are pouring in from all neighborhoods as the explorers gather in their bevins to hear the news. Many are waiting in an eerie silence with their hands hovering over their Relto pages. Wait, we are now getting word that the Bad Bahro army is beginning to emerge from the lake.... what will be the outcome of this confrontation....? stay tuned for more breaking news.

(turns to staff- Hey, anyone got a KI shot of the conflict? Just get them to sign the release and let's get it on the pub imagers- your wasting time! Hurry!)

Don't forget the exploding pellets! :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 24  Next