It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 7:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

It is important to realize that age instances are not only referenced but also modified or created during the action of linking. So for a proper understanding of instancing the linking rules must be taken into account. This is not a lecture about the classic D'ni linking rules, but rather an OOC guide to the linking rules we are dealing with when we play MOUL. IC diehards should probably skip this.

Most of this data was collected during the years that I was an Until Uru shard administrator. Linking rules which did not exist in Until Uru are educated guesses on my part. These are marked with "(unconfirmed)".

This document is released to the public because I believe that with the upcoming guilds, in particular the Guild of Writers, information about linking rules should be common knowledge. If there is one thing that can make a mess of a Plasma vault it is wrong linking. And although rumors that it will kill the vault are vastly exaggerated, wrong linking will definately cause avatar corruption. Linking is an art, both IC and OOC.

Last edited by D'Lanor on Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Instancing Explained Through Linking Rules - Version 1.6 (January 2, 2009)

• The Basic Link
    This is the most general linking rule. It is used for several linking objects which all have in common that no books are added to the Relto bookshelf and no pages are added to existing books. The basic link can be divided into two types:
    • Plain Basic Link
      Description: A plain basic link will create a new instance of an age. This new instance has no owner and it cannot be shared since the next person who uses the same linking object will be sent to the next new instance.
      Where to find: Journey Cave to Yeesha Bahro Cave, Portals to Live Bahro Caves, all linking books to the Nexus
    • Predefined Basic Link
      Description: A basic link can also point to existing ages. The condition for this is that the age info of the existing age is passed on to the linking rule. Age info for the ages we own can be retrieved easily, but how to get that info for ages we do not own?
      • Public ages: The Nexus actively retrieves age info from a table in the database which lists the public ages. Public ages currently consist of Ae'gura, public Neighborhoods, the Pubs, Kirel and public K'veer. Phil's Relto appears to be public yet it is accessed from outside the Nexus, which indicates that his book has "Nexus powers".
      • Book sharing: Admittedly I never researched this process in detail but I assume that the age info must be transferred from book sharer to sharee. Another possibility could be that the book sharer actively links the other player.
      • Shared books in Relto used by non-owners: In this case the age info is retrieved through the Relto of the owner (note that this would not be possible from within the Nexus).
      Where to find: Public Ae'gura from Nexus, Watcher's Pub from Nexus, Kirel from Nexus, Neighborhoods from Nexus, book sharing, sharable books in Relto.
  • The Original Book Link
    Description: This linking rule adds a book to the Relto bookshelf or adds a page to an existing book. It will also register the person who links as the age owner. Note that this is the only linking rule that gives ownership(1).
    This linking rule is commonly used for personal ages. Note that Neighborhoods are in fact personal ages with multiple owners.
    Where to find: Any linking object to a personal age that needs to add a book or page to the Relto bookshelf. Note: There are exceptions(3).
  • The Owned Book Link
    Description: This linking rule is used to link to ages you already own. It does not add any books or pages. This link will fail when this rule is erroneously applied to an age one does not own (IC: one has not yet found the book for).
    Where to find: Existing Relto books to your own personal ages, Nexus links to your own personal ages.
  • The Visit Link
    Description: A linking rule used for visiting personal ages owned by others. One must have an invitation from the owner of the age.
    Where to find: Private links in Nexus
  • The Sub Age Link
    Description: A sub age instance is related to the age which holds the linking object to it. A sub age can be regarded as a deep layer within an age.
    Links to sub ages cannot be added to books in Relto because it is impossible to use the sub age linking rule for linking to the sub age of another age. If sub age links were used from Relto this would create sub age instances within Relto itself.
    The advantage of sub ages is that access is not limited to owners. Anyone who has access to the sub age linking object will end up in the same instance. Sub ages should not be confused with "hood instances" which can only be shared with neighbors (see Child Age Link).
    Where to find: Eder Delin & Tsogal from Neighborhoods, City Silo from Er'cana. Note: The Pellet Cave in build 9 is no longer a sub age!
  • The Reversed Sub Age Link
    Description: This is the counterpart of the sub age link. It links back from a sub age to the main age. Recent research has shown that this rule is in fact the same as the sub age link. Apparently the server handles the reversion.
    Where to find: Eder Delin & Tsogal, City Silo
  • The Child Age Link
    Description: Child ages are connected to a specific parent age. Currently the only parent age in use is the Neighborhood. Therefore child ages are commonly known as "hood instances".
    A child age can be reached from anywhere as long as its parent age is properly defined. This is what makes child age links suitable for placement in Relto books (as opposed to sub ages). Since all neighbors share ownership of the neighborhood parent age they will always end up in the same child age instances.
    At this time the neighborhoods are the only ages with multiple owners and therefore the only ages that can benefit from having child ages. It is currently not possible to share child ages(2).
    Where to find: Great Zero from Nexus, all books or Bahro stones that add pages to the Ae'gura book in Relto, all links from the Ae'gura book in Relto.
  • The Fake Link
    Description: This is the type of link used for the Minkata Bahro stones. Supposedly it simulates a link within the same age instance to a different point in time. What makes this link unique is the fact that every player in the age is forced to link along while still maintaining their exact positions. True linking will always use preset spawnpoints. but the dead giveaway is of course the lack of the "rotating ring around book" splash screen.
    A similar "change of scenery" link is performed by Yeesha when she links us from the dry cleft to the rainy cleft. While this also links to the same instance it is however a true link.
    Another fake link has been used in the past for the Gahreesen wall game. Hopefully we will see a true link there in the future. *cough* sub age *cough*
    Where to find: Minkata Bahro stones

1. Note about ownership: Ages which are not accessed through the Original Book Link have no owners (for example the public Ae'gura, Pubs and Kirel instances).
    2. This is a bug. When attempting to share a link to a child age which also has a public equivalent the sharee will link to the public instance (for example Ae'gura). When attempting to share a link to a child age without a public equivalent the sharee will link to a personal instance of the sharer (for example Sharper's City Office). Oddly enough there is no way for the sharer to reach his/her own personal instance.
    3. Some ages which are entered by Original Book Link do not show up on the bookshelf because they are hidden on purpose, for example the Pellet Cave (the fact that in build 9 you can send invites to it proves that it is now a personal age).

Last edited by D'Lanor on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:05 pm 

The "Fake Link" that you describe is actually just changing the visibility for certain areas of the Age.

Imagine the two versions of Minkata superimposed on one another, but only one version is visible at a time.

The Fake Link that you describe is more accurately the one used in the Kadish Vault, when linking to the alternative vault. (Since the avatar does actually change position in the Age).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Paradox wrote:
The "Fake Link" that you describe is actually just changing the visibility for certain areas of the Age.

I am aware of the entire process which takes place in the background: Fade out render scene, page out objects, page in objects, fade in render scene. Apart from that I have some circumstantial evidence that a fake link happens (probably with PtFakeLinkAvatarToObject).

Of course I could be wrong, because not having access to the MOUL code I can only piece this together from what I know about UU.

Paradox wrote:
Imagine the two versions of Minkata superimposed on one another, but only one version is visible at a time.

The dry and rainy cleft also work with different versions of the same instance. That is why I made the comparison with the cleft situation. In UU where admins allowed cleft sharing it was actually possible for two players to be in the same cleft instance while one of them saw the dry cleft and the other the rainy one. :shock:

Paradox wrote:
The Fake Link that you describe is more accurately the one used in the Kadish Vault, when linking to the alternative vault. (Since the avatar does actually change position in the Age).

Not really. During the Kadish link you actually leave the age during linking and then return to it at a different spawnpoint. This is a true link.

PtFakeLinkAvatarToObject links without any delay, which is why it must be on a timer in Minkata.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:20 pm 

ok Big 'D'

You might want to explain the 'Time travel' link.
Sense Ahnonay will be comming out soon. :lol: :twisted:

Question; What would you call a link that happens automaticly?
We all know about the 'Panic link' touching our relto books to ecsape
a fall etc. But there is at least, I believe 2 places this auto
non panic link takes place, one of them is when you for the first
time have completed the cleft age and are down in the tree.
The other is completly random it seems, and the place you end up
could be anywhere.

Update the linking rules and add this in the,
The Reversed Sub Age Link
where to find; Eder Gira to Eder Kemo and visa virsa.
Ahnonay to Ahnonay Cathedral to Watchers Tower to Myst Island
ummm they are not connected right I don't think but add them too. :D

URU - KI - Atrus 03668735, Katran 00982487,
URUb - KI - 00356281

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:27 pm 

ummm...i think that the "fake link" as you call it...is an auctual time travel link...that or call it a "shifting link" cause its "shifting" through time!...get it?

_Calu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

VoiZod wrote:
Update the linking rules and add this in the,
The Reversed Sub Age Link
where to find; Eder Gira to Eder Kemo and visa virsa.

That is an Original Book Link. It adds a book to Relto.

Yes Calumon, the fake link is used in Minkata to create the illusion of time travel.

As for Ahnonay, I will update the document after it has been released.
[spoiler]I really wonder if you played Ahnonay to the end, VoiZod... No, don't answer. Let's not spoil it for those who never saw that age.[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:59 pm 

i played ahnonay! [spoiler]minkata is a real time travel link![/spoiler]

_Calu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Calumon wrote:
i played ahnonay! [spoiler]minkata is a real time travel link![/spoiler]

It's them Bahro playing tricks on us I tell ya! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:59 pm 

YEs I have compleated Tpots to many times to count.

I was meaning the upper bahro cave and the lower bahro cave.
There is some kind of time linking taking place here.

But anyway I won't go on and ruin it for everyone ;) :D

URUb - KI - 00356281

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

Document updated to reflect the changes made to the Pellet Cave from build 8 to build 9.

[spoiler]And I did not have to add a "Time Travel Link". :wink: [/spoiler]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:34 pm 

My own theory of linking is not as full-featured as your own, but attempts to stay strictly IC. I don't have a whole lot of time to spend on it, but would be interested in any feedback:

BASICS

The D'ni talked about the great tree of possibilities, and that linking books are used to reach ages in the tree. We also know that the books are 'descriptive', outlining what kind of age the writer wishes to link to. Using this information, and our experiences in the cavern, we can theorise on how a linking book might be structured.

The key is to let the tree of possibilities handle the details, and only outline what is wanted in broad terms. Imagine a planet filled entirely with sand. The linking book may be as simple as this:

Quote:
Link me to an age.
It should be a habitable planet consisting entirely of sand.

This would work. We would link to a habitable planet made entirely of sand. However, that sentence by itself could link to any] such age. There is no guarantee that two people, on subsequent links, go back to the same age. If we brought a chair to the age, then the age would no longer be entirely of sand! So, we add an overriding rule to our description:

Quote:
Link me to an age.
+ It should be most similar to whichever age this book first linked to.

So, with this addition, we will be able to link to an age multiple times, and we should always come back to the same age. Or, at least, an age that [i]looks[i/] the same and shows the same changes. If I make footprints in the sand then, on subsequent links, I will be taken to an age with footprints in the sand, because I've requested an age that is most similar to the current state of the physical age that the book first linked to. That is all that really matters.

It's highly likely that the book will link us back to the same physical age again and again, but we're not demanding it. We don't particularly care if we end up in exactly the same physical location, and it's never nice to demand things from the tree of possibilities. :)

PS. The order of the sentences matter. We'll assume that the bottom-most sentence is always the most authoritative, and the top-most sentence is the least authoritative.

PERSONAL INSTANCING

Now, we consider how Yeesha might have added "instancing" to the linking books:

Quote:
Link me to an age.
It should be most similar to whichever age this book first linked to.
+ It should not have been linked to by anyone else before the owner of this book.
+ It should include any changes that were made in the age this book last linked to.

These new sentences ensure that the owner of the book links to their own, unique, never-before-linked-to instance of the age. Subsequent linkings will continue to see any changes they have made there.

Here is the critical piece though! All explorers will still be linked to an age that is most similar to the current state of the "original" instance (after taking account of any changes we have made)!

People like the DRC, who would have accessed books before Yeesha's modifications, can link to the "original" instance and make changes, which are then seemingly propagated to our own ages. If Sharper links to his office in the "original" Teledahn and writes in his journal, then we will all see an updated journal in subsequent links to our own instances of Teledahn. Similarly, if the DRC added a sparklie to the "original" Gahreesen, then the sparklie would appear in all Gahreesens.

RELTO

I have not thorougly tested this set of rules, but it seems to work. Consider this one as under development. :)

Quote:
Link me to an age.
It should be a small island in the sky.
It should be most similar to whichever age this book first linked to.
It should not have been linked to by anyone else before the owner of this book.
It should include any changes that were made in the age this book last linked to.
+ It should include a bookcase with all the books the owner owns, except this age.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:25 am 

p_a_harvey wrote:
It's highly likely that the book will link us back to the same physical age again and again, but we're not demanding it.

You speak for yourself. :)

I realise this is a very old thread, but it has occurred to me that since instancing is likely never going to go away, especially with the possibly impending fragmentation of Uru into multiple servers, it would be nice to work out a definitive IC explanation of it that doesn't contradict what we know of linking (as opposed to what we are told) and preferably doesn't squick anyone. Now this who-cares-what-world-this-is approach squicks me big time, so I'm going to shove my oar in and suggest another option, one which I've mooted before but which remains, I think, useful, logical and consistent with observed fact.

For the purposes of this explanation, D'Lanor's taxonomy of links is largely irrelevant, since it mostly refers to OOC distinctions, though I respect the care and diligence he has put into it. A new Nexus Age may in fact be created every time we use the Linking Book, but in IC terms I think we can simply assume there are an awful lot of little rooms in one big Nexus Age, such that the minuscule population of the city at the moment will never have to find themselves sharing one.

I am also assuming, pace those who like the idea of an infinity of identical universes, that instancing itself aside, the Age you link to is the same every time. I find the alternative frankly ludicrous (since it implies that if you, say, open the flood barrier in Teledahn before linking out, every one of an infinity of possible Teledahns has to have the flood barrier opened so that if you happen randomly to link to it you won't notice an inconsistency; I find this to be multiplying entities needlessly). And, of course, me being me, this theory does assume that there is an element of creation in the processes of the Art. Sorry about that. :D

ICly speaking, what we have to deal with are three kinds of Book; Descriptive (no examples have so far been found), Linking, and Relto. On the face of it, the process is the same for each kind, with the exception that the Relto Book travels through its own link and allows linking within the Age. The other distinction that the Relto Book possesses is that it is the first D'ni Book we know of which has been created by a process akin to mass-production, in that, however many explorers are Called to the Cavern, there will always be a Relto Book for each one. Since the Calling is open-ended, so therefore must the process of Relto Book creation be. Unfortunately, there is no getting around the conclusion that Yeesha must have discovered a way of doing this without being there to control the process. It has to be, for want of a better word, Yeesha magic.

It follows that for each Relto Book thus conjured into existence there is a Relto Age, which contains a number of Linking Books: Teledahn, Gahreesen, Kadish Tolesa and so on. It seems to me likely that Yeesha Wrote this Age only once, stocked it with the Books, and then did whatever she did to arrange for open-ended, continual duplication of the Book and the Age as it stood. Thus bringing into existence, for the first time, an ever-growing number of Linking Books which are not only identically Written, but identical on a molecular level, including a Linking Book to D'ni (Earth) itself.

This is where the credibility stretches a little, because Linking Books are not the same as Descriptive Books, and yet I can see no other possible explanation; the process of duplication of these Linking Books somehow caused a shattering of the Ages linked to into an ever-growing and potentially infinite number of duplicates. I do not believe this was anything Yeesha intended; indeed, I am sure the idea would have appalled her. But it has, manifestly, happened. We have multiple instances of Teledahn and the rest, multiple instances of the Bevin neighbourhood (the fact that each one has a link to its own instance of the main city makes that quite clear) and so on. Even Ages which were not present on Relto at the time of its duplication, such as Minkata, have suffered this same shattering. Perhaps the effect is propagating along the edge of some wavefront, through the interstitial medium.

It will be seen that this theory accounts for the existence of instances, but does not explain why some Ages are instanced by Relto, others by hood, and so on, or why the KI and the Nexus are able to cut across instances and link back to the "original" Ages in some cases but not in others. I know it's incomplete. But, if there really is a group of bahro out there who are angry about something and want to commit violence on someone, I suggest that something like this does suggest itself as a possible cause for their anger...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:28 am 

The Star Fissure , Was it always here? (meaning Ghen did not cause it and more on the 'Great fall' caused it.) Or
Was it caused by Gehn's cut and paste style of writing ages?

Another observation; In Yeesha's journey when you take the Bahro pillars, the hole you jump down into from the
Blue in color Bahro cave is 'You jumping into the StarFissure'.
The 'Returning' the giving back, in Yeesha's journey when you bring back the Bahro pillars you took, The hole
you jump down into from the Orange in color Bahro cave is 'You jumping from a hole in the ceiling of the Cavern
high above Ae'gura. ( what made the change in the age? ) Minkata wasn't only used for cartographers teaching but
also a partial answer to how Yeesha's Skill with the Art worked, she learned alot from the Bahro ways of the Art
and sucsesfuly mixed it with the D'ni Art , with the help of Calm, (imo) Yeesha's would have been husband. (M5)

Discriptive book (main book) - Link through it to the age - then the hardest of all find a spot to write a Linking book
back to the age you linked from! and the spot I write the Linking book will be the spot where I will arrive when I use the linking book.
actualy you could wrote in as many differant spots in the age you wanted and each Linking book you wrote will link to their
correct spots. ie: Pod Linking books (Make sure you have a linking book back to where you were before you linked here.)

Now if the laws of linking should be the laws of quantom leaping! If it wern't for the Bahro laymans terms 'holding it all together'
none of this would have happened at all!

URUb - KI - 00356281

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:21 am 

[spoiler]The age didn't change. The link changed. Once all four pillars are taken, the links change to link you to similar caverns above D'ni, rather than within the star fissure. Presumably the act of moving the pillars from one cave to the other is what sets that particular Bahro (or those particular Bahro) free.[/spoiler]

The Students of D'ni Knowledge!

Next SoDK Meeting: Sunday, March 28, 20:00 (8 PM) MST (10 PM EST, 2 AM GMT)
Subject: D'ni Law and Punishment
Moderator: Ahlehn