It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:16 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:41 am 
Creative Kingdoms

It's something of a minor miracle, but I have just posted June, 2011 and July, 2011 pellet readings to the DRC site. I had to stay up until 3:33 AM to do it, but there you go. More soon; maybe tomorrow? Oops, I mean, later today?

http://forums.drcsite.org/viewtopic.php?p=46742#46742 (June, 2011)
http://forums.drcsite.org/viewtopic.php?p=46743#46743 (July, 2011)

Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:36 am 
Creative Kingdoms

As promised, all caught up! For a few days. :) December soon!

http://forums.drcsite.org/viewtopic.php?p=46746#46746 (August, 2011)
http://forums.drcsite.org/viewtopic.php?p=46747#46747 (September, 2011)
http://forums.drcsite.org/viewtopic.php?p=46748#46748 (October, 2011)
http://forums.drcsite.org/viewtopic.php?p=46749#46749 (November, 2011 )

Stop by, or "drop" in, D’ni Ashem’en (the Silo), where a "drop" in the market is a good thing.

Happy Droppings!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:29 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

For the first time in a while, I'm posting this on time!

http://forums.drcsite.org/viewtopic.php?p=46750#46750 (December, 2011 )

Drop a pellet today!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:32 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

January results are in, w00t!

http://forums.drcsite.org/viewtopic.php?p=46752#46752 (January, 2012 )

Drop a stealth pellet today, while the League of Light isn't looking!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:18 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Well, it's been a while and I'm only slightly closer to moving all the pellet data from the DRCSite.org, because of the inability to post there, probably to OpenUru.org forums or wiki or both. With charts! (Presumptuous thanks in advance to Tai'lahr for picking up the charting tasks). ;)

Now, here's the news I was looking forward to since, oh, September 28th or so, when Cavern access was restored, and why I'm posting this here and now in advance of making good on all the pellet data. Received today from the backlogged desk of a busy Dr. Watson along with the monthly data dumps he has been sending to me since November 2007 for data beginning July of that year:
Dr. Watson wrote:
Note regarding the gap from July 18th [2014] through 28th - a freak electrical event in the Cavern fried the equipment that Laxman had installed to monitor the lake algae levels. It took several days for him to get down to the Cavern with new equipment and get it all set up and working again. The upside, if there is one, is that the "storm" seems to reinvigorated the explorers, and pellet contributions seem to be a little more stable, which may have a positive effect moving forward.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:13 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

For folks actually wondering, I have begun to repost the pellet data from Dr. Watson on OpenUru.org. I'm doing a little bit each day until I catch up - only 36 months to go... You can find the data here in this thread:

http://forums.openuru.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=935

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:15 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

The pellet data and graphs are up to date!

Thanks to Tai'lahr for producing every single graph, Erik for the original pellet graph design, and Christian Walther for some technical assistance.

The graphs are designed to also fit on the imagers in the Cavern.

Here's a sample of the most recent complete month. You can find the rest, starting in July, 2007, in this thread on OpenUru.org:
http://forums.openuru.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=935

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
JWPlatt wrote:
Thanks to Tai'lahr for producing every single graph, Erik for the original pellet graph design, and Christian Walther for some technical assistance.
I have to add my thanks and elaborate a bit. I couldn't have made the graphs without the assistance of Erik & Christian. Erik inspired me with his own graphs and shared information he had from making them. Christian provided me with specs for making sure they'd fit on the imagers in the cavern, helped me work out details and even tested my draft on his private testing shard. So, big thanks to both. Also, a big thank you to JWPlatt for allowing me to participate in the project. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Gotta keep dropping the pellets.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:50 am 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt, are there any graphs showing cumulative data? The monthly ones only show relative data, i.e., how much things changed over the course of the month.

With each month starting at a baseline of 100%, there's no way to tell whether things improved over the long term and exactly how different things might be now compared to the early days. For instance, if the very first reading from July 2007 is treated as the baseline for all subsequent months, then the data would be more meaningful for long-term trends.

It would be even more interesting if we had data showing changes in algae light levels over all those months (but I am assuming only RAWA and Yahvo know those details ;)).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:44 am 
Creative Kingdoms

We haven't published a continuous graph since Erik produced one for August, 2007 through April, 2008, but all the data is on OpenUru.org for anyone who wants to do that. It's all there for such community use. Here's the 2007-8 graph:

[Reveal] Spoiler: August, 2007 through April, 2008

It's remotely possible Dr. Watson keeps a chronological record of the lake light level. I'll ask. But the light level normalizes, meaning it is temporary and returns to a base level even when contributions are sustained at some current level. It becomes brighter when a higher level is sustained, but then returns to normal at that level. I imagine it would retain brightness if the system weren't so starved already and there were sustained contributions at levels not seen since the Cavern exploration was fully funded. So I'm not sure how informative the correlation would be until there is a much more significant community.

And if I might make a simple observation, note the severe dip just prior to the "Pellet Blitz." It seems to me an anticipatory drop that manifested from knowing a more significant effort was scheduled. In the end, perhaps it was a wash to schedule an event and then perform it because of the psychological and economical effects of saving up one's time and energy before a major investment. During the saving phase, the economy stagnates because no one is spending to provide commerce. And so that might be why we are advised to not cause sags and spikes on the lake, but that the best system is a steady state at whatever natural levels of contribution there might be at the time. I suspect CAVCON is a lot like that too. It is often said the two are very similar systems. It's almost as if the Lake Project was planned as a larger social experiment or lesson in a cooperative community's common cause of Cavern economics...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:15 am 

Umm...So, did we lose all the effort from previous years when the serv...er, I mean, the mysterious event which happened last year...well...occured?

Or is the lake algae still humming...er, uh I mean...still glowing in full bloom? Meaning, is the cavern darker than before...Or does it actually vary from month to month, year to year, ect...?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Actually, I wanted to do some longer term graphs, but once I started, realized it was going to take a lot of tinkering to make them look good, be readable, and be a reasonable size (hopefully, able to fit on a cavern imager). So, after having just created 74 graphs, I decided to take a break and put it on the back burner for now. But, I will be happy to share the Excel spreadsheet that I created as a template with anyone who wants to give it a try. (I think there may be plans to post it on the OpenUru site.)

The reason all the graphs start at 100% is simply because they were meant to follow the model of the DRC's graph. I realize it's not very helpful in terms of research and I wrestled with that when we were making these decisions two years ago.

Ainia wrote:
It would be even more interesting if we had data showing changes in algae light levels over all those months.
Agreed. I would really like to see this information.

Nev'yn wrote:
Umm...So, did we lose all the effort from previous years when the serv...er, I mean, the mysterious event which happened last year...well...occurred?

Or is the lake algae still humming...er, uh I mean...still glowing in full bloom? Meaning, is the cavern darker than before...Or does it actually vary from month to month, year to year, ect...?
Well, I don't believe there's a real cumulative effect. So, it may have died back while the cavern was closed, but was easily resurrected once everyone returned and began dropping pellets. The cavern is at its darkest whenever its just been reopened to explorers. Any variation from month to month depends on the level of pellets being dropped.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Boring Historical Note
JWPlatt wrote:
note the severe dip just prior to the "Pellet Blitz." It seems to me an anticipatory drop that manifested from knowing a more significant effort was scheduled. In the end, perhaps it was a wash to schedule an event and then perform it because of the psychological and economical effects of saving up one's time and energy before a major investment.
I realize that you're simply using this example to point out that steady is better, but I have to comment and it will be off topic, so I'll place it in a spoiler tag.

Explorers weren't just saving their energy the day before the blitz; they were purposely refraining from dropping pellets in order to make the spike higher. Even people like dthurner who dropped so many pellets on a daily basis that they probably couldn't do any extra for the blitz, refrained from dropping any on the day before. And, I don't have any proof, but I believe that members of the League of Light (BrettM) made extra drops of bad pellets the day before the blitz and refrained from dropping any on the day of the blitz.

IC, it was an experimental attempt to "jump start" the lake algae. OOC, it was a message to Cyan and GameTap that explorers could accomplish something as a community. And, oh look, we're still here and Gametap's not.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

I’m a bit confused by the meaning of these graphs :?
What was measured daily, illuminance? Why are there percentages instead of absolute measurements, and what’s the baseline? Why are there monthly and weekly averages for each day of a month?

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

We don't have information on illuminance or even actual pellet points - just the averages provided to JWPlatt by Dr. Watson. Keep in mind that these are all modeled after the ones made by the DRC and the DRC just wanted to encourage explorers to drop pellets on a steady basis - not a particular amount, but just a steady amount. (In other words, Cyan wanted to encourage players to log in on a regular basis.) So, all these graphs tell you is whether the activity is steady or erratic. Yeah, I know, not very scientific. Send your complaints to Dr. Watson. :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next