It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:19 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: User troubles with Uru
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:08 pm 

First time poster. Not sure if this is the right place but having some trouble with Uru. Things don't work like they should according to the walk throughs I've looked at. In Gahreesen I get my key but the side door where the hole in the floor is blocked by a construction site sawhorse. In Kadish Tolesa I've lined up each telescope to the clues from the gallery confirmed by the walk through but no door opens. In addition the image in two of the telescopes looks slightly different than that on the walkthroug. Can someone help me or redirect me? Thanks a ton.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Shorah and welcome, Iamme.

There are two versions of Gahreesen - your personal one and the neighborhood instance where you obviously were. Although they look identical in the beginning and you can get your KI in either one, you need to use your personal instance in order to solve the age.

Someone else recently mentioned having an issue in Kadish using a walkthrough and I referred them to the Guild of Greeters Kadish walkthrough and they had better luck with that version.

Iamme wrote:
Not sure if this is the right place but having some trouble with Uru.
Typically, these kinds of questions are posted in the Spoilers, Hints & Tips section. You might get a quicker response there.

Good luck and safe journeys! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:28 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

It's maybe also worth asking if you're asking about the offline Uru (Uru:Ages Beyond Just or Uru:Complete Chronicles) or the online game - there are differences.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:16 pm 

Also note that the gadgets in Kadish Tolesa have some subtle elements that don't show up well in the clues. It took me several tries before I finally got them set right. Once you get the gross features in place the chance of success with the subtle ones is greater, and the differences easier to see.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:49 pm 

Thanks to all for the replies, particularly Tai'lahr. I will endeavour to solve the personal version of Gahreesen I am in. Out of curiosity how to I get to the neighbourhood version. PS. I loved Myst when I played it years ago, this is both a continuation and blows the doors off the original. Love it. Thanks again to all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Iamme wrote:
Out of curiosity how to I get to the neighbourhood version.
If you couldn't get around the barrier before the hole in the floor, then you were in the neighborhood instance. The book to that instance is in the bookroom of your neighborhood (which is accessed via the blue book on your Relto shelf) where the stained glass art hangs. Your personal instance is the book you get from the pillar in the same way you acquired Kadish Tolesa. There is also a barrier in the personal instance, but it's not centered in front of the doorway and you can easily walk around it to get through the door.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:02 am 

Thanks, this is amazing! Never participated in any forums before. Got to Gahreesen from the pillar, fell in the pit. When I got back to Relto the pillar was closed and wouldn't open. Guess I have do go back to the desert cleft and reactivate everything. Can't seem to get back to their either. HELP!
As an aside, my game didn't start like the walkthroughs say. I started in a cave and never left until it hit ESC. Then I was at Relto.
If someone can get be started here I promise not to be a nuisance, posting every problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Iamme wrote:
Got to Gahreesen from the pillar, fell in the pit. When I got back to Relto the pillar was closed and wouldn't open.
Once you have collected a book from a pillar, it will appear on your bookshelf.
Iamme wrote:
my game didn't start like the walkthroughs say. I started in a cave and never left until it hit ESC. Then I was at Relto.
Yes, that's where the introduction movie was, but it's been removed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:28 am 

Thanks, now how do I get to the desert cleft.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:34 am 

That's a long journey. In the words of Mr. Zandi, "Keep exploring. You'll find what you're looking for."
Enjoy the trip!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:41 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Many walkthroughs will refer to the offline version of Uru, which started at the desert cleft. The current online version starts you at Relto (that scrolling cave wall thing is a bit of an oddity that has long story behind it, but essentially it's just the background that would have had the intro video on top of it).

If you got to Gahreesen from the pillar on Relto, then you must have already completed the Desert Cleft (the first part of it at least) in order to get the four pillars. But you will need to find a different way back there later ;)

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Feel free to ask people in the Plaza on Ae'gura for hints as well. People are very friendly and helpful generally speaking. Let them know how much of a hint you want so they can reply in private chat and not spoil it for you or other people wandering past.

Ventris

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Anytime you link to a new location, it either creates a copy of the linking book on your bookshelf, or it adds a new entry in an existing book. Take a moment to open each of the books you have and turn the pages to see where you can get from your Relto hut. When you go anywhere, pay attention to things you can click on, since there are going to be many links and other things you can add.

One exception to that are the book terminals located in Ae'gura Island. Placing your hand in the scanner on those will add new links to something else you can get to.

The KI device you picked up is also there for many good reasons, and can be a great help. First off, if you open it, in the upper right corner it will usually tell you the name of the place you are in, and knowing the right name insures that people you ask for advice know what you're talking about.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:00 am 
Obduction Backer

It possibly bears repeating that there are two instances of The City on Ae'gura; the one you access through the city book on your shelf which is your own, and the one you reach through the yellow nexus book on your shelf which is the public one and is the one in which you will meet other explorers. Some people play for ages without discovering that they are two separate things.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:01 am 
Obduction Backer

ventris wrote:
the one you access through the city book on your shelf which is your own

Isn’t that one shared with neighborhood members?

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.