It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:16 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:06 pm 

Wait a sec I thought Rand wanted us to get rewarded for our progress, yes i want to superfically make my Relto better than yours :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:54 pm 

Same here! :D :D :D

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:23 pm 

uuh i want an armory on my relto... not that i could use that stuff, but it would be awesome to have a room full of D'ni tech (they must have had weapons!)

on the if you like guns n stuff uru is not for you... i love UT and WoW, and any RPG where i can get a gigantic sword in my avatars hands and slice something up. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:32 pm 

crrash wrote:
on the if you like guns n stuff uru is not for you... i love UT and WoW, and any RPG where i can get a gigantic sword in my avatars hands and slice something up. :D

Amen to that! Three cheers for Dark Messiah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:57 pm 

My understanding was that their weapon of choice was disease. Remember the Pento war and the Fall...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:40 pm 

i never caught it but what happened in the Pento Wars?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

A number of fans here play other MMORPG games such as World of Warcraft. That doesn't mean they don't like Uru and are looking forward to playing Uru Live!

Post subject: Re: armor n guns
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:35 pm 

Gohnac wrote:
What kind of armor and guns do ya get? :?:

Classic. :wink:

To expand upon this, I wouldn't be opposed to a maintainer mini-game that involves combat, maybe something like paintball. I mean, they had to train somehow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:54 pm 

Where has it been said that Maintainers need to know how to fight?

The Maintainer's training, as I understand it, was training to SURVIVE in the extreme conditions they would encounter, testing ages for safety.

I mean, sure, maybe they'll encounter nasty animals or something, but I would tend to believe that the Maintainer's response to such a circumstance is not to kill the animal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:04 pm 

I always thought that the construction of Gahreesen implied that maintainers at one point or another were at war. The huge spikes around the fortress, the way the tower and the other platform rotated. I assumed that the rotation was to keep large groups of invaders from getting through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:23 pm 

No, I'm fairly sure it was that way for two reasons:

1. They kept criminals there, and didn't want them escaping.
2. They didn't want unauthorized access (sortof like military bases, but without the military aprt of it)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:24 pm 

The fortress was also built (if you've read Simpson's journal about it) to keep the Maintainers safe from the giant beasts that roam Gahreesen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:44 am 

As I recall the Maintainers were also the D'ni equivilent of police officers, maintaining law and order within D'ni and the other Ages. As law enforcement officers they would have to be skilled at self defense at least, and probably more aggressive means of combat to ensure the could apprehend wrong doers with a minimum of personal risk.

I'm sure the Maintainer suits would offer a great deal of protection in a fight, but the fact that practically no D'ni weapons have been found is rather puzzeling. It would imply that either the weapons have been already been looted/removed/locked away, or that they relied on some kind of martial arts or other purely physical means to subdue criminals.

Actually knowing their distaste for violence, and their ingenuity, I would imagine that a proper D'ni weapon would be both more merciful and yet infinitely more cruel than anything we can concieve of.

After Myst IV, we have all seen exactly how bad being trapped in a Prison Age was.

"History is irredeemable."
- Kain, Scion of Balance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:03 am 
Obduction Backer

Most of you seem to have missed the primary reason that the buildings on Gahreesen rotate. Anyone with the right materials can write a linking book to a spot if they bring the materials with them. The buildings on Gahreesen are high security facilities, and they didn't want someone writing a linking book to a location within the building on the sly (Of course, they would have had to get their ink past the beetles at the entrance).

So, they made the buildings rotate so that you cannot "stand" in a stationary location and write a linking book that would work. All linking books into the facility had to have been written before the buildings started rotating (i.e. while it was under construction, as was noted in the Gahreesen notebook). In addition any linking book that was written before construction that linked to a location that was rotating would be very dangerous to use, because you could wind up inside a wall. The only way to use such a link would be with a special timing mechanism (i.e. that is how the prison cells worked). The only safe place to link without a timing mechanism is to the center of the rotation of the buildings, which is exactly where you wind up when you first link to Gahreesen.

Note however, the linking clothes are a completely different story. But we already know that Yeesha can bend all the linking rules, so this is just one more rule she can work around (however, note there is an inconsistancy here, since the solution to Ahnonay relies on the linking clothes obeying the more traditional linking rules, i.e. on Ahnonay you link to where the cloth was at the time you touched it, rather than returning to the cloth wherever it currently is). But, since Ahnonay wasn't part of Prologue, my guess is that the linking clothes were a workaround to what originally was supposed to be a multiplayer puzzle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

The Maintainers did know some sort of combat. In BoT, for example, when Anna made it down into D'ni there were rumors spreading about the surface dweller that had made it down the tunnels. Some of the rumors mention things like, it took the whole Guild of Maintainers to subdue them, or something like that. While this was an extravagent rumor, the fact that people believed it for a time means that they knew the Maintainers did have fighting in their repetoire.

Daggers have been the only weapon I can remember being mentioned that the D'ni have. Of course, in Riven (when in the trap book), we see gehn preparing some sort of rifle to go through to K'veer, to meet his son with. Now, whether this was an actual D'ni weapon, something Gehn himself designed and produced, or "artistic license" meaning to show the violent intent Gehn had for his son, we don't know. But daggers.... at least they had daggers...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next