It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:22 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:02 pm 

*BoT SPOILERS*

IIRC, the main antagonist in BoT (I can't remember his name! It starts with a V) has a very large armory of guns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Dan'nee wrote:
whether this was an actual D'ni weapon, something Gehn himself designed and produced, or "artistic license" meaning to show the violent intent Gehn had for his son, we don't know.

Since we have a D'ni word for Gehn's cane (heek) I guess it's a real D'ni weapon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:55 pm 

A maintainer paintball age anyone? Though probably with hologram paintballs.

Could make for good training stealth, evasion, planning all skills you need use of to play as well as need to use to explore new ages. One team defends markers while the other tries to collect them, if your hit you lose your progress and have to start over just like on the wall.

If the entire team is hit within a time limit the defenders win, and their age is safe from the invaders. If the maintainers hit all the defenders within their time limit the maintainers win, and the age is safe for the D'ni.

Equal teams are possible, but one native defender aginst a team of Maintainers could be down right fun.

Last edited by MustardJeep on Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wait! Gehn's cane is "heek"? So when we play Ahroheek, but just call it "heek" for short, we're calling it a gun?

I remember, in BoT Veovis (that's the V name) and his partner also had bombs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:02 pm 

That's a great idea! A training age that simulates various circumstances a maintainer may face, but managed in a controlled enviornment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:21 am 

Well, that's the whole point of the Wall in Gahreesen - to simulate various environmental conditions and then force you complete a cerebral set of tasks (climbing the wall with barriers). Hones your thinking-under-pressure skills.

~Rils

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:32 am 

I've always been under the impression that the D'ni would have relied more heavily on some kind of technological crowd-control or mass life-killing weaponry as opposed to actual hand-to-hand combat. Things like blinding explosives or trauma-inducing projectiles come to mind. As far as wiping out whole hordes of enemies, induced plagues seem to be their weapons of choice in wars past.

Quote:
What kind of armor and guns do ya get?

I hear lauching cones down the Great Stairs can be pretty deadly...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Re: armor n guns
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:00 am 

Gohnac wrote:
What kind of armor and guns do ya get? :?:

how i shoot book

No, seriously, with all this talk about cannons, I can't believe no one posted this response:
Quote:
You get a cannen at the end of To D'ni, which is a free expansion pack to Uru: Ages Beyond Myst (sometimes shortened to Uru:ABM or Uru Prime), and includes much of the online content that had been available during the first open beta, which is called Prologue, not to be confused with the closed betas known as Choru and Ubiru, named respectively for the server used ("Cho") and for the original intended publisher of Uru Live ("Ubisoft"), though now Cyan is working with a different publisher (Turner Enterprises, via Gametap for those areas in which it is available), but To D'ni has slightly more content than what was available at the end of Prologue, such as the cannen about which we are speaking, though all of the To D'ni content is included in the second expansion pack (which is not free, though by now very inexpensive) called "The Path of the Shell," which is available by itself and bundled with Uru: Ages Beyond Myst under the title Uru: Complete Chronicles. But this forum is for Uru Live and we don't talk about those things.

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:09 am 

I think the armor aspect would make a good decorative feature for characters in the maintainers guild? Theres no one to kill in Uru, unless theres a shortage off puzzles...! :shock: lol

but yeah the maintainer mini game would be great, or maybe there could be guild specific activities for a level system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:29 am 

J'on
Quote:
Note however, the linking clothes are a completely different story. But we already know that Yeesha can bend all the linking rules, so this is just one more rule she can work around (however, note there is an inconsistancy here, since the solution to Ahnonay relies on the linking clothes obeying the more traditional linking rules, i.e. on Ahnonay you link to where the cloth was at the time you touched it, rather than returning to the cloth wherever it currently is). But, since Ahnonay wasn't part of Prologue, my guess is that the linking clothes were a workaround to what originally was supposed to be a multiplayer puzzle.

Or maybe Yeesha just desided to change the rules of the cloths?

But on the topic of guns and such in Uru... it seems somehow degrading to the entire concept and community. Think of the guns so far encountered by the largest part of the myst series playing population: Gehn's (a twisted meglomaniacs) and the one on Teledahn which had the possibility of either being used by the caterers who owned the age at one point to hunt food or of being used by slavers.
While yes the D'ni easily had the technological knowhow for any type of gun you want there are few is any to be found and those that are found are usually in the possesion of the unbalanced or outright evil.
Guns are unsubtle, dangerous and of limited use against a prepared enemy (when dealing with D'ni who could easily overcome a gun with various forms of protection or avoidance)... all in all guns are out of character and spirit for D'ni civilisation.

I am a player of violent games, a consumer of violent media and realize that everyone has violence within them but something as crude as guns on any large scale in cavern is just ridiculous to me.

Armour of many various forms on the other hand seems quite apropriate. I want to see the maintainer version of a space suit for use in ages without atmospheres.... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:49 am 

I WANT THIS GUN SO IF I GET SOME CRIP IN THE GAME TRESPASSIN' ON MY FLOATING ISLAND I CAN CAP DAT FOOL AND STAB HIM AT THE SAME TIME

I don't see the point of guns in the game sheerly becuase of the fact that RMIT explorers are not going to kill you becuase they're are more interested in getting the d'wdfs'da'sa'sad'as'das'da from the gg'sdf'd'fdf'dd'd'd'd'dd'd' then steal your shoes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:24 pm 

wow with that gun you could stab someone in the eye and pull the trigger at the same time to blow their bain out! genius!

i think if D'ni ever used guns or had armours (except the maintainer suit) or collected souvenirs like weapons and armors from people of other ages (they mightr have met, but i dont think they would take souvenirs), they should appear in the museum.
heck even standard D'ni clothing and maybe the cloths of the guild leaders etc. etc. in a museum, maybe an entire hangar with the drilling machines and stuff?

HECK I WANT A MUSEUM SHOWING D'NI STUFF!
...and not only books

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:03 pm 

Like the "museum" that shows art...in the city?

Anyways the maintainers were more of the entire age police/age testing/criminal watching group...more like a swat team-specialized training, armor etc.

The City Guard (mentioned in BOT) was more like the local police...and helped keep the peace.

Also, take a look at the histories and you will see that these people fought wars (in addition to the bio warfare) with weapons-guns and bombs both cited in the books used by Veovis and A'gaeris.

I always pictured their weapons to be more classic- but with new technology...like energy spears (like those on Stargate the Gould) etc....not neccesarily like the modern guns found today (gotta love airsoft :)

I always pictured the Pento during the war to fight with bows and arrows and lances or something...more primitive

Perhaps we will find out eventually :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:29 pm 

the current museum doesnt look too great to me, and im not talking about paintings and stuff, i mean 3D models of ancient clothing, armours, weapons utensils behind a glass case

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:08 pm 

Yeah I was being sarcastic ;)

And that (your discription) is what I pictured the museum to be more like as well.

And the art in there are reproductions as well! :o

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next