It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:17 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:04 am 

I don't see why we should assume all the cloths should work the same anyway, since the spiral cloths in the garden Ages don't even link to bookmarks :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:29 pm 

Reverend Vader wrote:
Keep in mind too that the "hand" cloths and "shell" cloths behave differently.

The hand cloths actually bring you back to the location of the actual cloth... i.e. in Gahreesen's rotating buildings.

The shell cloths, instead, bring a person back to the place where they last touched it. So, the use of the word "lock" was probably misleading... Touching a shell cloth "locks" the linking point "in space..." not the cloth itself.

I can't remember how we were originally supposed to figure this out... Heh heh.

Alternately;
Links always take you to the Cloths( Hand or Shell ) and account for all movements of Cloths within the universe.
It's just that the Spheres of Ahnonay are some how unique, in their own little sub worlds and a part of the linking process is broken. Just one extra/unique movement that the links can't compensate for.
I mean that that was really a weird bird that designed/built/wrote that place. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:48 pm 

We don't really have any reason to assume that the cloths wouldn't work differently. Different journey, different rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

But you should have an idea that the cloths were going to work differently. It was much easier to follow before Complete Chronicles as ABM, To D'ni and PotS had a gap between them and you could see as the cloths changed.

IIRC there is a further clue in the (share) symbol above each book in your relto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:48 pm 

We have three types of journey cloth so far, and none of them work in quite the same ways. Are we really looking for an explanation where there's no reason for one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:25 pm 

Perhaps the cloths adjust to constant movement, which normally accounts for planetary movement but has the side effect of adjusting to the rotating in Gahreesen. Ahonnay doesn't constantly spin around so the cloths don't adjust to that rotation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:30 am 
Obduction Backer

Good one, whitehelm. I was just about to say that but you beat me to it.

We had this discussion a long long time ago on the Ubi forums. There are lots of different ways to explain the discrepancy between Gahreesen and Ahnonay by talking about "special cases". But a very logical, consistent explanation is: In Gahreesen, the link is moving when created, so the link is relative to the building. In Ahnonay, the link is stationary when created, so the link is relative to the planet (the "real" planet).

This idea extends further to explain why, if you create a link (in any given Age), why didn't the planet continue orbiting the sun, and therefore when you link back you appear floating in space where the planet *used* to be? The answer is: the link was created while the planet was orbiting, and therefore it carries the planet's orbital momentum. So you link back to the same place relative to the planet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:09 am 

Once people are Writing Linking Books, we might be able to experiment with this. Write a Linking Book on a moving train, say, and see if when you use it you link to the train, or to a point along the path of the train's travel at the time that it would have reached if it hadn't had to stop at the terminus. Or, of course, possibly the link just won't work. (I believe you'd link to the train, but then I believe that linking is a complex mental process to do with the words (or symbols, or whatever) rather than a simple physical process to do with the ink and paper or whatever.)

I know Books and cloths are even more different than different types of cloth, but Occam's Razor would seem to indicate that the process of linking, of making a link between source point A and destination B, is the same in all cases. It occurs to me, incidentally, that the distinction between Relto and ordinary Linking Books is that the "source point A" end of the link, in Relto's case, is assigned to the person of the book holder, rather than a spatial point in the Age the book is in--so that, rather than travelling along a rope stretched between two fixed points, when we link to Relto we are effectively "lassoing" the destination and pulling ourselves up. But the rope is the same in both cases.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2