It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ercana Questions
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

I did a search for pellet recipes (I even read the 27-page thread from 2007 & got very confused) and the GOG walkthrough and ended up with the following questions:

- what is the "super oven"
- which oven in the baking room is Oven 4
- why do I care what my "pellet score" is

I do understand that adding pellets to the lake will increase its brightness (in theory) - but does this really happen in ULagain, or is it just a sideline, waste of time activity (i.e., adding the pellets really doesn't do anything in ULagain)?

To "finish" this age, and get another donut/wedge, what is the minimum I need to do? Make 2 pellets? 3? 4? Go to the holographic shell image outside in the canyon & touch it? Both?

Thanks so much for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
To "finish" this age, and get another donut/wedge, what is the minimum I need to do? Make 2 pellets? 3? 4? Go to the holographic shell image outside in the canyon & touch it? Both?

To get the wedge: [spoiler]touch the holographic image[/spoiler]

Making pellets: [spoiler]they are needed for another part of the big picture[/spoiler]

Not sure how much information you really want / need?

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject: Re: Ercana Questions
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

ces wrote:
I did a search for pellet recipes (I even read the 27-page thread from 2007 & got very confused) and the GOG walkthrough and ended up with the following questions:

I do understand that adding pellets to the lake will increase its brightness (in theory) - but does this really happen in ULagain, or is it just a sideline, waste of time activity (i.e., adding the pellets really doesn't do anything in ULagain)?
Thanks so much for your help!

Charura addressed the important bit. There's no need to do any more pellet baking in MO:ULa besides that required to finish the age. (It's to get to K'veer, actually). The explicit link between the pellet drop and lighting the lake was never implemented in MO:UL.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

ces wrote:

The "super oven" is Oven 4, named so because it tends to bake hotter than the other three (which all bake the same).
When you enter the oven room from the water tanks area, Oven 4 is the first one on your left. Since the cavern lighting system was never implemented, there is technically no reason to worry about your pellet score at the current time. That said, it may be possible that at some point in the future that system will be implemented. We don't know how far into development the system was, nor how much work it would take to get it working. And making high-scoring pellets is something to do. Think of it kinda like the xbox live gamer points, they don't really do anything, but you can compare them to see who has the most. I particularly enjoy seeing what the highest score I can get from a single pellet is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thank you very much fellow Explorers!

My goal at the moment is to finish the ages & get the donuts. Then I'll go back & do the "extras" - for example, make oodles & oodles of pellets! After all, they can be done in the background while I do something else.

Also, I've been trying to draw a visual diagram of the manufacturing plant for myself (yes, I know there are in-game diagrams & Explorer created diagrams) to see if I really understand what's connected to what. So far I've got the ovens, vats, pipes, and grinding room doors connected - now I just need to see how the water treatment basins (the 3 pools just before the grinding room) fit in - or maybe that doesn't matter. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:08 am 

Just a note, the four ovens each have their own setting, each of which adds to the total (whether it be time, amount or the third measurement (I forget what that one is...) Oven number 4 is the oven that is connected to the vat that cannot be emptied. Follow the diagram located in the control room to find it or read the spoiler below...

[spoiler]Oven 4 or the "super oven" is first oven on the left as you approach it from the door that faces the vats.[/spoiler]

Oven 4 does not actually cook any hotter than the others necessarily, but it's contribution is double that of the other ovens, and so it maxes out it's settings about halfway (give or take) up the heat? intensity? whatever... slider (that's the second slider from the left). A group of intrepid explorers banded together to chart out the results of each setting for each oven and came up with some very interesting recipes!

For more information, you can check out the original Ercana pellet data link located here...

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 742#179742

Somewhere around here is a link that will let you download a very nice set of graphs and a document explaining the data collected for Er'cana... Maybe some other kind person knows of the link and can post it. :)

Oh, and your "pellet score" is an arbitrary number that is placed on the pellet you create, but taken by itself it means very very little. Pellets that are not "perfect" will still score very high. Ultimately, if your goal is to feed the lake, stick to one of the proven formulas (located in the link I provided). If your goal is something else, then trial and error might be the way to go. Have fun, and keep in mind that the pellets do take awhile to bake (the formula I use takes 1 hour 57 minutes).

KI: 03390194

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:23 am 

Rusty_Russell wrote:
Charura addressed the important bit. There's no need to do any more pellet baking in MO:ULa besides that required to finish the age. (It's to get to K'veer, actually). The explicit link between the pellet drop and lighting the lake was never implemented in MO:UL.

From what I observed, this wasn't implimented partly because Cyan wanted to gather data on what the user-base demonstrated as "normal" before setting any hard numbers into an "automagic" lake lighting subroutine. This could have been a preventative measure to ensure that it worked the way the wanted it to work, and to keep griefers from messing with other peoples experience by "breaking the lake" (which has a very real possiblity of occurring if the settings are wrong). I think they wanted to do something kind of like what Blizzard did with several of their "World Dungeons" where the entire community had to work together (by gathering supplies in one particular case) to accomplish the goal of opening the dungeon for use. It seemed to work pretty well too.

There is nothing at all preventing them from collecting the data and then implimenting the thing some time in the future.

KI: 03390194