It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:27 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:55 pm 

I have altered my Teledahn routine where I first go feed the flappers (wooden plank) and then come back to feed Shroomie. 2 days ago while running to feed the flappers, I heard Shroomie while on the dirt platform and raced to the edge just in time to (I think) see Shroomie breach and then dive.

I had wondered for a few weeks whether anyone had seen Shroomie from somewhere other than the feeding pier, and I now can say yes.

Unfortunately, no pic.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

has this thread been necroed? i've never seen it before... but it reads familiar; i started a thread asking about much of the same stuff and many of the responses were similar... i'll post a link to it if i can find it should that help at all...

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22126&highlight=

note: prob isn't as helpful as i figured. i didn't realize how much off topic discussion made its way into this thread. still, i suppose it can't hurt if anyone's interested... btw, i still haven't managed to get shroomie behind the gate... the thread is only one page and interest in it had been lost; disregard my comments on Ahnonay as they don't pretain to the topic at all :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:17 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Yeah, this is an old thread resurrected.

dj_ wrote:
... 2 days ago while running to feed the flappers, I heard Shroomie while on the dirt platform and raced to the edge ...

I think the noise of running is enough to chase Shroomie off. I can't be sure of that, but I always take care to walk in that area of Teledahn, if I'm looking for a Shroomie sighting.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:46 pm 

Mac_Fife wrote:
Yeah, this is an old thread resurrected.

dj_ wrote:
... 2 days ago while running to feed the flappers, I heard Shroomie while on the dirt platform and raced to the edge ...

I think the noise of running is enough to chase Shroomie off. I can't be sure of that, but I always take care to walk in that area of Teledahn, if I'm looking for a Shroomie sighting.

I reject that quiet is better. I have this feeling that she responds to footfalls on the metal ramp. And running is louder than walking. I see her more than 50% of the time now, probably close to 80% of my visits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:58 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Fair enough, but I'll generally see her within a minute or so of going to the feeder, pretty much 100% of the time. My observation here though, is that once she surfaces any noise will immediately chase her back below the surface, e.g. if she surfaces just as I'm about to operate the spore dispenser, she seems to dive immediately in response to the machinery noise. If I avoid operating the dispenser, she appears to stay on the surface for a little while.

I'm not claiming it to be a fact, but that's the perception I've built up over time.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

though evidence to back up these statements can be hard to come by (no one's word is sacred anymore :P ) i beleive i have encountered a situation where i did not realize shroomie was breaching and i took off running which scared her off...

it inturrupted her animation and sent her diving prematurely...

shroomie has appeared to me on the ledge on the other side of the shroom w/o having fed her (or the flapers more precisely; i think i can hear shroomie's call when i pull the lever which might be what attracts her if not the spores)

she has also appeared w/o having fed her upon stepping onto the metal walkway. she has only ever appeared to me once per trip (if at all) but i joined someone in his newly opened teledahn and he was getting shroomie to appear repeatidly every four or five pulls of the lever...

i'd like to think running instead of walking makes her more unlikely to appear, even on the metal walkway leading past the power tower, but i am not sure if there is any indication of this... i still don't know what the feeder on the wooden walkway to/from the slave caves does if anything... the dynamics of shroomies behavior are quite complex and this thread has renewed interest in trying to figure some things out...

if what Sharper writes about in his journal is anything similar to shroomie's bahavior in response to explorers actions his journal would make a good source for information... i beleive he writes of having to move slowly when he was in the process of hunting her...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:58 pm 

I keep the power turned off in my completed Teledahn because I was told that the noise scares Shroomie off. So often, she appears without being fed as soon as I emerge from the cave onto the metal stairs.

And to think I only found out about Shroomie because a veteran in the cavern took me under her wing. So now, when I get the chance to help newbies, I tell them about her too. :P

But I would like to have that big wall and lever explained.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:18 am 
Obduction Backer

and i wonder under what circumstances Shroomie would appear fed or unfed just by being in a certain spot... or not at all...
... if the feeder does emmite a shroomie call when activated she may be responding to it if the feeder feeds the flappers and not shroomie; sharper's journal states that shroomie eats the flappers and the flappers eat the spores... if that is the case, it may take a few feedings before shroomie is willing to eat the flappers which may change her behavior...

... that and i wonder if and how the second feeder applies...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:22 am 

Well I've never bothered to operate the second feeder until reading this thread yesterday. But the space is too small for shroomie anyway. I wonder..... if I lower that wall and then operate the feeder - will shroomie venture into such a tight space?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:32 am 
Obduction Backer

shroomie is quite large... i doubt it; but i suppose anytime she does venture into the lagoon (if so) as it states in sharper's journal... it is to eat the flappers; i'd imagine the spores collect in the lagoon which are gobbled up by the flappers... so shroomie would eat the flappers where ever they're at and not necesarily have to venture into that space...

and i haven't messed with the second feeder there either because i don't have any inclination if or how it figures in...

and the walkway you apeak of A'na... if it's not down alrdy it prob should be otherwise it's a one way trip through that area;
afaik, it wouldn't necessarily figure in to shroomie's routines... at least, i can't see how it would...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:53 pm 

I keep the power of because I prefer the peace and quiet. In one glitch tho, the machinery came on, and I could not turn it off, with all the commotion, I still saw Shroomie. But, it was a glitch.

[spoiler]I wouldn't be so sure getting Shroomie behind the gate would do much. While it might retard her egress from the lagoon that way, there appears to be another out. Visible out at the end of the walkway past the bucket ride (only in 3rd person view). This would also explains how she gets her flapper meals.[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

the person who told me he managed to coral shroomie in the lagoon offline said she made a fuss while she was there...
... yeah, the lagoon is open at the dam and the area beyond the bucket ride, so she does have means to enter the lagoon if not at the dam... i'd imagine that area can be accessed from the open water where she appears as well...

... sharper also writes of hearing her sleeping on the surface... i've never heard shroomie snore before :?

... he also writes of taking a boat out and finding a nest so apparently there's a whole pod of these things...

and i wonder if it's likely we'll ever know the whereabouts of the remains of one slain shroomie that sharper dumped???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:08 am 

I recall many years ago there being a blurry photo of the dead shroomie on the table in front of the Tokotah. At least I think thats what was in the picture. If you had someone tell you it's possible to get her into the lagoon behind the gate then you have been lied to. It is fact, not opinion, that in this version of the game and all so far before it there is no way to get her close enough.

[spoiler]Her appearances are semi-random and increasingly closer distances are "unlocked" via regular feedings. There is a limit to how close she can appear and if you don't believe me ask about it in the Fun House or Illusions hoods. Any of the Grey Hats can tell you more about how she works and possibly even trigger the closest possible view of her for you to see personally.[/spoiler]

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:43 am 
Obduction Backer

well i must admit the claim was far fetched but i have no reason to doubt this person...

but yeah, my conclusion is the same as yours... i don't think her behavior is any more complex then that....

the photo was of shroomie but i never noticed any indication that it was a dead one... though sharper sunk evidence that he had killed one; perhaps he took that photo or someone from the DRC was spying on him? or perhaps it was just research?

still, perhaps there is more to be discovered about shroomie's habbits...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:25 am 

Sarah and her shroomie...
http://www.myst-universe.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=85781#85781

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next