It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:24 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:03 pm 

1). Can you change the name of your bevin?
2). Can I get one of those fancy looking clocks in my bevin?
3). Can I lock people out of the "book room" (room with the books in it xD)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

1.) i've tried it and it didn't register for me; though perhaps i didn't do it correctly... but yes, bevin names are generated based on the name of the explorer who created it; but, if you look at the nexus list, you'll notice that not all the bevin names include the names of explorers, i.e.: D'ni Museum of Arts, D'ni Musicological Society, etc.

2.) the way i understand it, sometimes clocks show up in a bevin when an explorer generates a new one, sometimes they don't; if you want one, delete your bevin, wait a day or so for a new one to become avaliable to you, and hope you get a clock this time...

3.) just close the doors to the book room, and any visitors cannot open them; if you're going to do this though, just make your bevin private... it annoys some people to have access to a bevin and not its linking books, and some marker missions put gz markers in there that are inaccessable if the bookroom doors are closed.... if they want to use a book or nab a marker, then they have to load the nexus and link through to another bevin... personally, i think it's sort of a dirty trick :P

Last edited by Main_Avvie on Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:29 pm 

1). darn

2). Not ideal (already on (3)) but thanks for the info

3). Awesome, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

james... check this thread again; i must have been editing the instant you posted a reply!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Main_Avvie wrote:
1.) i've tried it and it didn't register for me; though perhaps i didn't do it correctly... but yes, bevin names are generated based on the name of the explorer who created it; but, if you look at the nexus list, you'll notice that not all the bevin names include the names of explorers, i.e.: D'ni Museum of Arts, D'ni Musicological Society, etc.

Technically, these are the names of explorers - well, at least the names of avatars which were created with those names specifically for the purpose of creating a neighborhood with that name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

i've also just thought of a theory since you've mentioned this; in regards to changing the name of a bevin, if i'm correct in my assumptions (and i have never tried this before, this is just an off the top of my head theory) if you create a new avvie with the name of the bevin you'd like to create as the avvies player name, then create a new bevin with that avvie, then i suppose the bevin would also be generated with that name, just as usual...

for instance, whoever created the D'ni Museum of Arts bevin, would have created an avatar by the name of "D'ni Museum of Art" created a bevin with that avvie, then invited all his or her other avatars as that bevin's residents and any of his or her friends as neighbors... in that way, the bevin would have been generated with the name "D'ni Museum of Art's Bevin"... presumably, that avvie could then be deleted; i cannot foresee the harm it in since it would not disrupt the state of the bevin or its inhabitants to the best of my knowedge...

keep in mind this is only a theory, i do not know this for sure; it is just speculation... so, if you're interested in trying this, i'd ask for confirmation before hand since i cannot and will not be held responsible for anything that may go wrong as a result! just trying to help to the best of my abilaties; however, you have been warned!!

when i tried to change the name of my bevin, i could input it into the text box; however, upon pressing exicute it snapped back to the name it gave me with no change whatsoever...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

why are we so intent on posting while i'm in the process of posting mine!!!

you beat me to it tai!! so i guess i was correct in my assumptions after all!! :shock: :D

but either way Jimbo, there's your confirmation!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:23 pm 

LOL, first person to call me jimbo in an MMORPG

Your right though. dont you have to complete the cleft first do get to garaseen?(or whatever its called)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
*looks around for Main_Avvie before posting a reply* ;)

james.a.p wrote:
dont you have to complete the cleft first do get to garaseen?(or whatever its called)

Not in this version of Uru. Unlike the offline version, you immediately have access to a Relto which gives you access to a neighborhood (Bevin) in which you can find a book to Gahreesen so you can get your KI (this is actually a hood instance and only allows you to get in far enough to get the KI).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:11 am 
Obduction Backer

At one time (during one of the previous online iterations of Uru) it was, in fact, possible to rename Bevins to pretty much anything else using the KI interface. For the most part, it wasn't a big deal, but some people wouldn't leave the name alone... If I recall correctly, Cyan may have removed that feature just to help keep peace in the cavern.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:04 am 

(firstly I apologise for digging up an old thread)

I too, am looking for an answer, I messed up creating my first neighborhood (ok, I made a mistake, panicked, then realised how to undo my mistake, but it was too late at that point). Then made a second identical avatar name to try to make a neighborhood again, from scratch, but only to see a (2) after the name. Now as I'm a bit of a perfectionist, I'd like to have a neighborhood name without a silly number on the end, so editing the name would be ideal for me.

Now, if I am unable to edit the name, I have (as far as I can see) two options:
Create a new neighborhood in a different name, or
send a message to Cyan asking very nicely if someone would mind editing the name for me.
I feel that I'd rather not waste Cyan's time with a trivial matter just to please me when there are other more important things they would be doing. Let's face it, if they grant my request, they'll have to either grant every request or draw a line somewhere (and upset people). But if someone can reassure me that Cyan wouldn't consider trivial or too much trouble, then yes, I'd be willing to ask them.

So, does anyone have any advice for me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:26 am 
Obduction Backer

maybe perhaps make a new avvie with a space or two or a character that would be hardly noticable with a name otherwise the same as the avvie you want the bevin named after

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:05 am 
Obduction Backer

Yeah there's nothing that can be done about the (2). It's not actually part of the name. All of the entries you see that say "DRC Bevin" are actually all called "DRC Bevin". The number in parenthesis are there to show multiple hoods with the same name. The counter starts at one...and if a hood is number one, it doesn't get a number in parenthesis. That's why there's "DRC Bevin" and then "DRC Bevin (1000)". Exact same thing happens with custom hoods.

Imaging this scenario:

I make an avatar called Bob, and make "Bob's Bevin". Then a few people join it. Next I delete Bob, recreate Bob and make "Bob's Bevin (2)". Now Bob has two neighborhoods...and both can be public in the nexus. The (2) serves to differentiate between the two.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]