It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:41 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: minkata question
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:09 pm 

shorah all,

ive got a question here.

Do i need to follow the path exactly as its been written in the minkata journal?
or can i just run straight to the cave (ive got a walktrough with a map)?

plzz answer

later, roeiboot4

and always remember: D'ni has fallen, but we will not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:38 pm 

yep you can walk straight, it is the going back you need to be mindful of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

You can run to the caves.

The caves are a physical location, so they will be in the same place regardless of the path you take to them. Sort of like your house isn't going to move just because you walked home by a different route. ;)

Have fun! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

If you are trying to solve the puzzle, the exact route you take provides an important clue.

If you're just trying to get your ring, only the destinations count.

Everybody ought to try Minkata the hard way at least once, though. :)

VidRoth -- KI#50637

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:10 pm 

As I recall thier is some real cool music when you get near to the cave if you solve it the long way

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

I found that doing Minkata "the hard way" was actually kind of fun. :)

Now mind you, I have a tendency to enjoy tedious and frustrating things a lot more than most people do, so I may not be the best barometer. ;)

But if nothing else, it's certainly rewarding when you get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Sort of like your house isn't going to move just because you walked home by a different route.

Or because of a different reason....Been there, done that,,,even at my young age....

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:45 pm 

In the search for the second hole, I'm getting stumped pretty quickly. If I go in the direction that I'm supposed to from the center of the compass, one of the bone poles is directly in my way. Going around it loses the direction completely, so all of the journey legs after that are inaccurate. Am I doing something wrong, or should I go and try to find a Greeter to help?

Anna Catherine wrote:
I found that doing Minkata "the hard way" was actually kind of fun. :)

Now mind you, I have a tendency to enjoy tedious and frustrating things a lot more than most people do, so I may not be the best barometer. ;)

But if nothing else, it's certainly rewarding when you get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
If I go in the direction that I'm supposed to from the center of the compass, one of the bone poles is directly in my way.

What I did was jump down, and then align myself on the ground using the bone itself as my guide. Since the bone was directly in your way facing the right direction on the compass, you can still get yourself going the right way based on it.

The camera angle isn't the most cooperative, but if you take a few steps, your footprints will tell you if you're aligned with the bone.

Not sure if that's the "right" way, but that's how I got around this problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:41 am 

Use the comma or period key to move a bit left or right so you can clear the pole. It's best to always do a running jump off the top of the enclosure. At most, you will be a only a few feet off but still parallel to the heading you've selected. Be careful of the rope ladder... you will climb down it if you do not jump off the top of the enclosure and throw off your running time and heading (if you are using run time instead of counting footsteps).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:35 am 

Quote:
its the going back you need to be mindfull of

why the going back?
i know that its something to do with the stars or am i wrong?

and always remember: D'ni has fallen, but we will not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:33 pm 

Yeah follow the right constellation to find your reward and the direction to get back to the centre for each Kiva (hole in the ground)

Like others here it really is great to do it the proper way at least once. It gave me a great sense of achievement. I try hard not to use walkthroughs if I can help it. But hey that's just me.

PS It you really need help try this http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... &highlight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:48 am 

roeiboot4 wrote:
Quote:
its the going back you need to be mindfull of

why the going back?
i know that its something to do with the stars or am i wrong?

I'm with you on this one. I am befuddled by the comment made by roeiboot4. Getting back is very easy. The most difficult thing that I did in Minkata was finding the second hole. It's wayyyy out in the boondocks, and the blowing sand becomes very distracting.

To those who state that one really should finish the age "correctly", here is an interesting anecdote. The first time I encountered Minkata, I read the included journal book. The very first thing I thought of was cartography! I actually plotted the resultant courses into a nifty cad-based cartography program I own. I then noticed that each course had the same start point, and a different end point. I assumed that the end point was the destination and that decyphering this fact was part of the puzzle. After using some clues in the age itself, I was able to determine distance measurements using the system that was demonstrated in Minkata. After a few calculations, along with distance measurements taken frrom within my cartography program, I was able to determine the approximate distance in Minkata units that each destination was from it's start point. I then completed each destination as represented in the journal, and I finished the age. Honestly, at the time it never even occured to me that the game would ask me to attempt to run around in a path represented by the journal. Some people have since mentioned that this method of finding the solution is tantamount to cheating, but I never felt like I was cheating. I simply solved a rather crafty puzzle. Ultimately, this illustrates that many times, at least where Uru is concerned, many different paths can lead to the same destination. 8)

KI: 03390194

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:05 am 

Did you know that...

[spoiler]On some computers did you know that in the night time version of Minkata it is possible to see the four farthest kivas (#2-3-4-5) at the horizon if you stand in specific spots ?

Like the # 5 kiva re: small blue line in the yellow "rectangular" frame on this spoiler image found at this link...
http://guildofmessengers.com/forum/topic/all-uru-and-myst-games-versions-pictures-gallery?page=4#comment-12059

It is then, possible to create night time straight line markers games that can be used day time or night time :wink: [/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:44 pm 

Latharion, taking the game files apart or pulling the age into Blender to figure it out would be cheat. Figuring out how to get the map destinations is fair enough play. Good move. :)

Several people reduced the individual routes into a single direction and distance. They solved Minkata by walking those direct paths from the center to the Kivatee.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next