It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:34 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:33 pm 

OK since everyone else has shoved their oar in :D ....

Regarding IC vs. OOC (interesting, your character can be an 'Ick' or an 'Ook' - both sound pretty nasty :P ):

It is like going to the theatre to watch a play - you can either witness (or enjoy, appreciate, immerse in, etc) the story told by the play, or you can witness (etc) the actors acting out he story in the play. At same play, it like the backdrop and sidedrops (sure that's not the correct name :? ) add to the story that you are in a forest, as opposed to seeing a very well put together scene (or even wondering when 7th dancer from right is going to kick that tree over :D ).

I guess to sum up, its like going to see the story or going to see the production.

At least from the POV of the theatre, in order for you to experience the story rather than the production, it is necessary to emply a technique known to all audiences as "Willing Suspence of Disbelief", where, at least for the period of the play, you are able to forget its only a play, those WWE moves are chreographed, or magic dont exist, and accept them as real. I'm fortunate in that I am quite good at it, and I'm sure I have a far better experience than if I couldn't 'make-belive'.

OK the application of WSD in Uru for RPs would be to automatically beep out OOC things, ie. if someone IC asks me ookishly (I LIKE that word! :D ) if I'm experiencing - dare I say it - LAAAGGG, then perhaps convice yourself that he asked you if you are drunk. Probabaly not the best of examples (but I wanted to use 'ookishly') but I hope you see what I mean. Or you could annoy Ooks by not understanding them on purpose. I'm trying to say if you try and apply a kind of WSD filter, maybe you experience at that moment will be Ickish rather than Ookish :wink:

As regarding the surface now being synched to the Cavern. A couple of events that I know of do link the two. One that people from the surface actually found and 'populated' the Cavern - each of those links the two. Also, on one of the timelines I saw (unfortunately not sure which) it included events where two blokes from Cyan, Rand & Robyn, actually visited the Cavern, and leter, from Catherine's notes, wrote the game Myst - this kind of makes R & R, and Cyan, and Myst, hence Uru and all the other Ages, and the surface - everything In Cavern (also kind of in a vicious circle :roll: )

So, OOC don't exist really - we are all figments of our own imaginations! :shock:

Oh dear :oops: what HAVE I just written! :? Someone mentioned rambling - well, that was it complete with deerstalker, walking stick, backpack and wellies :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ickish and Ookish! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Kerryth wrote:
Ickish and Ookish! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ROFFLE!

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:06 am 

Or Icky and Ooky, if you prefer :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:03 pm 

Funny, we were just talking about Monty Python in GoG Bevin the other day.

Ekke, Ekke, Ekke, Ekke, Ptang, Zoo boing! (Goodem-zoo-owli-zhiv).

We are now NO LONGER the Knights Who Say Ni!

Post subject: New to Online Gaming
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:44 am 

Hi,
I am new to the whole Online gaming thing , I basically joined this because I enjoy the challenging puzzles , artwork , music , and storyline of the Myst games. When I joined at the beginning of Feb. I have to be honest I was creeped out at the prospect of chatting to anyone when I
logged in to the GAME. I had a friend explain to me that some people online play the game as a ficticious character or roleplaying. I had always thought that Uru was "you are you". So I logged in started playing and pretty much stuck to myself for fear that if I did run into someone who is roleplaying they would blow a gasket if I didn't play along.
Well I have been playing for about 2 months now and I have to say I have not run into one person who ever did that to me. Everyone has been friendly and courteous to the point where I actually couldnt resist being social with them. Honestly I don't have much of an imagination which is why I enjoy this game as it makes me try and imagine what this little world and its people were like and how they lived.
I think my point to this is that in the beginning it was very intimidating
and just as a little suggestion to all the super smart people who make all this stuff work , I think it would help a lot if they made some kind of indicator on your little virtual person to let people know if they are playing a character or if they are just being there real life self.
Anyway thats all I wanted to say thanks for your time :o)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6