It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:40 am 

Where can I learn the history of this part of the game?

I missed all of the history as I only started playing last year. Did a new Age appear one day and everyone worked together to figure out what it was?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

coffeemancer wrote:

I missed all of the history as I only started playing last year. Did a new Age appear one day and everyone worked together to figure out what it was?

It's difficult to find a comprehensive guide to this kind of thing. Some of it can be inferred by reading what's left of DRCSite.org, and you can get a bigger picture by using the Wayback Machine in the internet archive site to look for previous versions of DRCSite, which had more information.

Briefly, the museum and the pod age were opened over a period of four months, and figuring out what the puzzle even was took time.

The museum was opened on January 4, 2007, but it was pretty much empty. The first linking book, Negilahn, wasn't placed on the pedestals in it until February 28th. Learning about the portal and seeing the animals was hit or miss (seeing the animals still is), because the main clue wasn't in place yet. Dereno was the next book to appear on the pedestals, on March 15th. Payiferen appeared on April 4th, and Tetsonot on April 18th, which completed the set. There were never any plans to make models for any of the other pod locations.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:11 am 

coffeemancer wrote:

Here is where you can find all of the history of the game, as well as some information on what happened when ages were released.

You're actually pretty much on the money with what happens when a new Age appears in the game. Though, the DRC (D'ni Restoration Council) actually plans out when to release Ages to the public and usually tells visitors to the Cavern somehow, so it's not like everyone logged in one day and was like "HOLY MOLY THERE'S A LINKING BOOK HERE WHERE DID IT COME FROM".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Cyan had a web site, http://www.drcsite.org. They put up news, information, and a list of the what was in the works and what its restoration status was. The site still exists. Most of what it used to have is gone now, but the list of Ages and locations they were planning is still there.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:47 am 
Obduction Backer

larryf58 wrote:
Cyan had a web site, http://www.drcsite.org. They put up news, information, and a list of the what was in the works and what its restoration status was. The site still exists. Most of what it used to have is gone now, but the list of Ages and locations they were planning is still there.

Also, the Discussions button at the site will take you to the archived forums where you can read some interesting discussions from the past, including some of the ones between the various DRC members. :)