It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:57 pm 

Well, I've sorted it out.

There is no method in the Ae'Gura data files to change the lake or the overall light level. We've said this before, and it's still true. Anyone who claims otherwise is still wrong.

There are, however, two vantage points in the game where you can see the lake change, just as RAWA said:
[spoiler]The balconies in the neighborhoods. The "backdrop" of the cavern wall and the color of the lake water have their brightness adjusted based on the final calculated lighting values that RAWA mentioned[/spoiler]

Thanks to all the other modders and devs who poked things before me, without them it wouldn't have been this easy to figure it out :)

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:14 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

I believe, though I could be wrong because I wasn't involved in Until Uru, that any admin hosting an Until Uru shard had this information at the console level all along. No modding or poking necessary. I saw an extremely few incidental references to it around forums for all the speculation that has transpired and quite surprised it never surfaced, even as a guess, in all this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

@ Paladin -

Quote:
Join us in building a better, brighter Uru...

According to RAWA, it IS brighter.

:)

Mowog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:45 pm 

Right, it's just an SDL value. Anyone with access to an age instance an adjust it for that particular instance. Cyan of course has tools that let them say "set this SDL variable to this value in all instances of this age", and I'd expect that some form of that tool existed for Until Uru admins, but I wasn't around then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes they did exist in UU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:53 pm 

I went ahead and made a comparison of the region mentioned in my post. The top half is base light level, the bottom is what it will look like when the algae is fully grown. It's a *very* subtle effect - minimum brightness is about 60% of the what the area will look like when the lake is as bright as Cyan planned ahead for. If anyone's curious about RAWA's numbers, the dark one is level 0 and the bright one is level 4.

Presumably if the lake gets any brighter than level 4, Cyan will need to make actual age changes in Ae'gura and other city areas, in addition to just brightening this particular detail. I don't expect this is representative of what the lake will look like when it's at its brightest.

[spoiler]Image
Subtle, isn't it?[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:33 pm 

TOOO wrote:
On the other hand, are we really feeding the algae - or just polluting the lake? :wink:

Anything can be a pollutant if added in too large of a quantity. Which brings up a point I have wondered about for some time. How is the artificial addition of large quantities of algae not harmful for this ecosystem? I sure hope that the DRC has some ecologists who thought about this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

But are we truly adding algae, or are we just feeding it so it can successfully reproduce? If it's reproducing, then I suppose it will biologically figure itself out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:45 pm 

Quote:
But are we truly adding algae, or are we just feeding it so it can successfully reproduce? If it's reproducing, then I suppose it will biologically figure itself out.

I'm not very certain as to which of the two we are doing, but the effect is still the same. It is an example of eutrophication, which typically is bad for aquatic systems. The only way I can see this as being healthy is if something had happened to disrupt the food web of the lake in the first place. If we're replacing nutrients it's OK, but if we are introducing them then it is pollution.

I wasn't around when the project was begun, so I'm not sure what the rationale was. It appears that the original equipment was constructed by the D'ni, so they must not have seen a big problem with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:02 am 
Obduction Backer

I also did my own screen captures like PaladinOfKaos did. If you look at the right angle in the neighborhoods, you can see the lake light closest to the hoods is also affected as well as the horizon.

[spoiler]I also compared the different screen prints with one from MOULagain and it seems that we are currently at level 1 (the second darkest) lighting.[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:22 am 

eutrophication?... I doubt that plant growth is going to be a problem without sunlight.

It is presumable the D'ni were making pellets. I'm not sure what other purpose Er'cana may have had... has anyone eaten a pellet?

So, after ages of neglect, the lake is probably a long way from being over nourished. More likely it is still on the verge of starvation.

Since there are no 7-Seas fishing vendors, I'm sure there are no fish. (its an SL insider thing)

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:36 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Nalates wrote:
Since there are no 7-Seas fishing vendors, I'm sure there are no fish. (its an SL insider thing)

If there were, we could have bumped the CAVCON meter up to 10 by now. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:15 am 
Obduction Backer

I always figured that the D'ni wrote Er'cana solely to provide a source for the pellets, which they formulated specifically for the purpose of nourishing the Lake.

That is, the pellets were used by the D'ni while they still lived in the Cavern, perhaps because they noticed a deficiency in the Lake's light and day/night cycle and developed a remedy in the pellets. When we took the Journeys and learned the workings of Er'cana, it was up to us to learn this original purpose of Er'cana, the purpose of the pellets, and the optimum formulation for the pellets... just to carry on the work of the D'ni and resume their own feeding of the Lake.

So in an IC sort of way, we can't overfeed the Lake - the D'ni developed the pellets to provide a suitable growth medium for the algae, and as we haven't yet reached the target nutrient level... and are not likely to for some time to come... we may as well keep stuffing it!

IMHO, of course... :)

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:16 am 

Well, given who's age Er'cana is I'd say it's far more likely that it was an attempt to fulfill the Watcher's prophesies, than made in response to any pressing need of the time. However, the events of the Fall and the plague blighting the algae have given it a more practical purpose in our time, which only coincidentally results in it finally getting to serve the purpose for which it was intended.

cedward1 wrote:
Anything can be a pollutant if added in too large of a quantity. Which brings up a point I have wondered about for some time. How is the artificial addition of large quantities of algae not harmful for this ecosystem? I sure hope that the DRC has some ecologists who thought about this.

I would assume this is why the official word from the DRC has been in favor of a steady level of contribution. They apparently don't want wide spikes in pellet production, and they have in the past put out a request for "consistency" in production. That's just my take on it though. Either way, the fact that we now have verified results showing that the pellet efforts are, in fact, doing something is to me very hopeful on several levels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:33 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Yes, the simulator is key to giving the Lake Project meaning and purpose; there's no on/off switch to cheat the system. It was too bad the Great Zero seeded doubts about that. The simulator model is what makes it real and not the scripted illusion of effect. I believe it's the best, the most real, and the most significant part of the game so far with its integration of multiple ages, a public setting and the engendering of community cooperation - not division - within an environmental challenge.

It has pleased me no end to know that the simulator (and its algorithm) is safely beyond the reach of any easy answers of reverse engineering and the database; beyond the reach even of open source! Discovery will have to be scientific and, yes, empirical.

Uru Live in any incarnation never got the chance to fully implement and automate the linkage between model and content to make it completely a part of gameplay, but, as you can see, there is something real and this remains a very active project.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next