It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:23 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:57 am 

Hello everyone ! I've played URU and the Path of the Shell since it first came out....I didn't joing the Gametap(?) online version at the time because we had dial-up and it was so slow.
The guides for beginners on this site were very helpful; but there are still some questions I have. Both URU and POTS are so familiar I can zip through them if I wish; yet I seem to spend time exploring every nook and cranny of the ages --- just lovely !
So far I haven't downloaded this online version as I wanted to check a few things out first.
As soon as I registered for this forum my (Norton) anti-virus detected a high threat and deleted it--while letting me know about it. Is that something I should be careful about if I start playing online ?
Also, some of the new ages ( Eder Delin and also the Pods ) are accessable only if someone else invites you ; or is it available (for you) after you locate the book for it --- and then you can visit in your own 'instance' ?
I wouldn't be too disappointed if I didn't come across many others in the cavern/parties ; since I'm used to exploring this game alone. Although that may change. :)

The main reason I wanted to play online was to travel to some different ages. Are these ages ( like Devokah ) all fan-made ? That's pretty neat since I'd like to see the places others have created.

Presently I've got the cd version of URU and POTS installed in my pc. Do I need to uninstall this before playing online ?
My pc is windows vista 32-bit with options to go 64-bit. So far I have the Sims 2 and 3 installed and they play fine at the highest settings; so I'm hoping if I play Uru online my computer can handle it.

Thanks in advance for any help !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:35 am 

Welcome back to Myst ShambalaShorah
Here is some information to help you find your way around the community as it exists now. And some answers.

I’m not sure what is triggering your Norton. I’ve found Norton to big, bulky, and not particularly effective. But, I can’t image what in the forum would be a problem. Possibly one of the recent spam posts links to an infected web site. But, you should not have a problem with the forum.

Eder Delin and the Pods do NOT require an invitation. Find the linking books and your there.

Delin is an odd instance. The neighborhoods have their instances. So, you could go to different Delin’s from different neighborhoods.

This weekend there should be lots of people in cavern for the anniversary of the Cavern reopening (2/8/10). Otherwise it is usually not that crowded.

The fan made ages are not in MOULa. MOULa is the version that was on GameTap when the Cavern closed. Fan ages are for standalone play using tools made by the fans. You can find information on the Guild of Writers’ forum and wiki and the Guild of Maintainers’ forum. (Links below) Also, there are rumors of underground shards.

The MOULa is a separate install from the DVD versions. So, you have to do the download. MOULa is primarily a 32-bit game. My understanding is it runs fine on Win7 32 or 64. But. look through the Tech sections here for better answers on that. If you run SIMS, you can run MOULa.

Additional Info
First, there is a section of this forum collated by Artic_Wagon titled Ideas For Threads Of Special interest that lists the important threads and links for the community. It is rich in information. In the Guilds section there are resource lists for each guild, a good place to browse.

If you want to search for specific information, try the GoC’s Search Tool. It works for several Myst/Uru related fan sites. The search API key is only the free one, so only so many searches per hour. However, if you click the MORE choice at the end of a search the main Google search window will open with editable search criteria and you can keep searching.

There are manuals for the game. MOULagain User manual. Also there is the Guild of Greeters’ Uru FAQ about how the game works. Some tasks like sending messages to other players in other parts of Uru are explained.

MOULa is planned to go open source. That is taking some time to happen. In the mean time some fans are learning to build ages. The GoW is the place for age writers. They have a wiki with the tools and ‘manuals’ one will need, if they want to build ages. The GoMa handles age testing and they have additional tutorials on building ages. There is a library of 3D models/objects that the GoMa is putting together.

OpenUru.org is more of a planning group looking at how Open Source Uru Live will work, which MMO features need to be added or changed, where new players should enter the game, improving link consistency, lots of other things and how game servers may be set up.

There is lots of overlap among the forums. So, none of my descriptions are exact. You will find information about nearly every topic in each of the forums.

Much of the history of the game can be found at Uru Obsession. The UO forum server crashed Oct 2009 and backups were used to move it to a new host and forum software. The web site portion is still being restored. The Canon story and history are at the Guild of Archiver’s.

The Uru Live New Comers Guide may help.

And check out Rel.to for a list of fan sites.

For a list of Myst related events see the Guild of Messengers Calendar.

A significant number of Myst-Uru fans hang out in other virtual worlds; Second Life (Find D’ni Refugees group), OpenSim, OSGrid, Minecraft, and some others. There is a fan story spinoff named Devokan that appears here in Creativity. There is also a forum for Devokan now: Devokan Trust, which is about places in fan shards, SL, In-Worldz, and OSGrid.

And once again… welcome to Uru.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject: Nalates
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:51 pm 

Got it ! Thank you for the excellent info !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Myst Online URU Live is hosted by Cyan Worlds from generous donations from the fans although there is no new content for the time being. Cyan will activate existiting limited time content on occasion which is always quite fun! and they will find the time to fix bugs and work with the fans when they can (they're cool like that :wink: ) what you were speaking of is *fan content* on their own time fans have developed and host content independently (and discussions about it is limited on these forums) you won't find any of that content here, however...

in regards to age access... all players have access to their own "instances" of ages (with the afore mentioned exception being the Bevin garden ages) these instancing mechanics are quite convoluted but limit who has access to certain areas of the game and under what conditions; sometimes a book "share" is necessary to get explorers to the same instance or explorers can send invites through their Ki's to other explorers to provide them access to personal instances of ages...

uninstalling other versions of URU isn't necessary to play the Myst Online client download from this site... i have my URU:CC install still there and running (though both applications cannot run at the same time) and as far as the flag your antivirus software sent up... well, i'm constantly getting false alarms from my protection programs all the time; i've never encountered malicious software on these forums nor has there ever been an issue afaik... there has been alot of spam traffic recently which should be cleared up by now...

Welcome Back to URU!! you've come at a GREAT time!! MOULa is about to celebrate its first year online!! Enjoy Your Stay and I hope to see you in cavern sometime!! Cheers! :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]