It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:31 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Where Is This?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:48 am 

OK, I'm asking this in the spoiler section, just in case (Mods, please move this thread if it's in the wrong place).

I am thinking of buying URU: Complete Chronicles on Steam and I noticed this picture in amongst their screen shots for it.

I have played URU before MOUL, and yet I do not recall this screen shot or anything similar to it. Any sites I've looked at for MOUL do not mention, reference or allude to this age, so I'm baffled.

Does anyone know what this is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:06 pm 

That is the Great Tree in the Watcher's Pub. You enter it during Path of the Shell in Uru:CC. In MOULa, you can see the tree and walkway from a balcony in the pub, but you can't enter the area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:20 pm 

OK, thank you. Looks like a reason to get URU: Complete Chronicles, unless Cyan are planning anything?
(nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean? (sorry, the Monty Python fan in me comes out sometimes.))

The weird thing is, I know I've played Uru because I remember the Cleft, Neighborhoods, Eder Gira & Eder Kemo, Kadish age, Ahnonay and Er'cana. But I can't remember when I played it or the Great Tree. I must be getting old ... er .... ish :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:41 pm 

Very pretty :), also a reason for me to also play the CC offline version :).

"All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth." - Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:32 pm 

The tree is pretty much the last thing you do before the Path of The Shell expansion ends. The place where it leads is reachable in MOULa by different means. [spoiler]although in POTS you end up inside the fireplace which is curiously deactivated in MOUL[/spoiler]

I suspect that the reason the tree is currently inaccessible is because, like Ahnonay, the puzzle to get to it required multiple people and was altered for the expansion to be solvable solo (albeit in a really cheap way) There's a lot of complex looking doodads in there that don't really do anything in the context of what needs to be "solved". Also, I suspect that the reason the place the tree leads in the offline Uru is different is because it was intended to go somewhere else. Because of this curious texture (see spoiler for rest of sentence) [spoiler]Image I believe that place was going to/will be Noloben[/spoiler]

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

the chambers beyond the door in the watcher's pub are one of the few areas actually unavaliable in MOUL compared to URU:CC. and yes, the tree can be viewed from the balcony in MO's version of the watchers pub. unfortunately it's look don't touch. other select few areas include the kirel class/egg rooms. it would be nice if they were opened just for the heek of it. and yes, the whole ending of the POTS content was altered between the two versions to fit multi/single player modes. if you have or can get a hold of a copy of URU: Complete Chronicles, you can explore those areas offline. check goodolgames.com for a pelthora of Cyan products. and don't get your hopes up for Cyan having anything in the works anytime soon barring miracles or acts of god.

i still link to kirel and the watchers pub from time to time and click on the door switches because "someday" (tm Cyan Worlds inc. all rights reserved) those doors are gonna open!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:03 pm 

I don't think a miracle is needed, just a steadily growing playerbase that donates fairly consistently...

The MO:UL Statistics Explorer (made by OHB and a team of others) indicates that of the 51,000 'player accounts' present in Uru, nearly 40,000 are real people, not spambots... and that the (real) player count is still growing - at a rate of about 400 per week.

If every player puts in an average of $1-2/month, and the growth rate in number of players remains stable, well, we would expect to see somewhere between $500,000 and $1 million in the Uru production fund over the course of the year, which is enough for Cyan Worlds to add a few new things to the game, I imagine.

We've been at CAVCON 4 for a year now - a surplus has been building for a year - and I figure that pretty soon that saved-up surplus will be enough that it can be used to do something, even if it's only something small.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:14 pm 

We waited 3 years in silence without any hope whatsoever but look where we are. MOULa is back online and playable. Cyan may not be one to move quickly but the Myst games are all about patience. Uru has existed in some form now for over a decade and been through two closures and has had new content added since the early days after literally years with nothing. There's always hope. The fact that we're still here speaks volumes.

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

matthornb wrote:
The MO:UL Statistics Explorer (made by OHB and a team of others) indicates that of the 51,000 'player accounts' present in Uru, nearly 40,000 are real people, not spambots... and that the (real) player count is still growing - at a rate of about 400 per week.

I too hold hope that someday Uru will return in a more active form, but I want to point out that those numbers say nothing about the active player base. Accounts that may not have been touched for a year (and may not be planning to return) are listed as Active Accounts, as well, because that stat only indicates that they have at least one avatar on them. Also; though there may be 400 new accounts with avatars created each week, some portion of those people is bound to quit within that week or the coming few (for a large variety of possible reasons), so that number can't be used to determine anything, either.

We can't really say anything about the active player base with certainty until OHB adds some stats on that specifically (not meaning to rush, or anything ;)).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

oh look, i've gone and turned this thread into another "Cyan doesn't do anything anymore why not and how can we get them to do stuff" thread...

admirable discussion to be sure but it's been done before in may others to little to no avail. also, such disscussions are so easily started on just about any thread... prob best to avoid that from happening...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:19 pm 

Main_Avvie wrote:
oh look, i've gone and turned this thread into another "Cyan doesn't do anything anymore why not and how can we get them to do stuff" thread...

admirable discussion to be sure but it's been done before in may others to little to no avail. also, such disscussions are so easily started on just about any thread... prob best to avoid that from happening...

I didn't start this thread with those intentions, I only wanted to find out where in URU the picture was from.
Now that that has been answered, I am wondering why people are still posting in this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:01 am 
Obduction Backer

Loshem wrote:
We waited 3 years in silence without any hope whatsoever but look where we are. MOULa is back online and playable. Cyan may not be one to move quickly but the Myst games are all about patience. Uru has existed in some form now for over a decade and been through two closures and has had new content added since the early days after literally years with nothing. There's always hope. The fact that we're still here speaks volumes.

Best post I've read all day. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:34 am 

More to the point, that screenshot isn't actually from the same tree as what's in the game. There's slight differences between that image and the actual place. That screenshot actually dates back to 2001 when Uru was still in extremely early development as "MUDPIE". The following was the front page of Cyanworlds.com circa 2001. Check the bottom left corner. [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:49 am 

Loshem wrote:
That Do To List is hilarious ... if you get the reference! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:42 pm 

Susa'n wrote:
That Do To List is hilarious ... if you get the reference! :lol:

Hahaha! Wickedly funny of them to joke like that. :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next