It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:08 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:42 am 
Obduction Backer

once upon a time, at least, there was, or still is, a DRC website where in they logged the phases of restoration certain ages and city locations were in. while there's a plethora of what could have been content there i've always wondered about two city locations in particular. the Arch Museum and Aquarium.

there has never appeared to me to have been any cordoned off area in Ae'gura that could possibly allude to having either one of these areas beyond it. untill recently. i've always wondered what might lie behind the door at the split in the great stairs. i've often surmised it might lead to a waterworks or catacomb. but it's the motif of the great arch above the door that for some reason after all this time clicked with me. the image of the great arch of kerath above that door might possibly allude to that door as the entrance to the arch museum. so, finally, i have some indication to go on as to the Arch Museum's whereabouts. but that still leaves the question of the Aquariums location. i reason that it may be located elsewhere in the cavern, perhaps in the city proper or one of the islands on the lake.

i recall a structure in the cavern, not on ae'gura, that for some reason figures prominently in concepts and early work on uru's development. it's even seen in MOULa's intro video but never explored. i'm not sure if i recall what this building was for, but perhaps it may be one of these locations. somehow these two locations don't seem important enough for the attention paid to this building though.

what my question is, does anyone know or have any indication of the whereabouts of the Arch Museum and Aquarium? where were their locations intended to be? they could have even been nexus locations; their exact locations never really given in relation to anything, but i'm curious. also, if anyone can provide any concept work or early development screens of either of these two locations that would be splended!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:03 am 

The aquarium and arch museums are probably the most intriguing suspended projects on the DRC project list (which does still exist) http://drcsite.org/project.php

Unfortunately I can't give any insight as to where the two would be located, I CAN however confirm where that curious door leads. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this link here and will of course remove it if asked to, but using a certain external program I spent a good deal of time wandering around beyond the barricades.

[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cj6QqtId40[/spoiler]

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:28 am 
Obduction Backer

yes, i know what you mean Loshem, i've been back there too :wink: .

but, that wasn't the door i was speaking of. the door i mentioned is on the second landing up the great stairs where the stairs split. this is the same landing where the entrance to the kahlo pub is located. the door is set into the landings base. this door is flanked by two lamps and has the motif of the Arch of Kerath above it. that motif is the only evidence i'm going off of that it could be the entrance to the Arch Museum. that, and given it's proximity to the Ferry Terminal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

I heard that someone thought it was in thearch.. perhaps a walkway (long) to it starts ther? ..anh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:44 pm 

Ah I forgot about that one. Another door I've always been curious about is the one at the top of the stairs inside the city silo where you drop the pellets from Er'cana

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Perhaps they store spare parts for the pellet analyzer in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Loshem wrote:
Ah I forgot about that one. Another door I've always been curious about is the one at the top of the stairs inside the city silo where you drop the pellets from Er'cana

you know what!! for a long time i was under the impression there was a door up there. one day i looked again and for some reason there didn't appear to be!! there are those oval plates all over the metal structure of the Uran Silo but they don't appear to be doors to me. but, if the one on the balcony atop the ladder is a door it's prob the silo's front door as that section of the cavern is most likely more expansive than just the Uran Silo.

anyone ever notice how in Bevin, beneath the bridge along the water, when you walk past that nook in the wall the camera will pan to look at it in third person? there appears to be what looks like a walled up entryway in the back of that nook. the DRC site also lists a Bevin Game Room. i'd be willing to bet that's where it is. i asked someone what games would have been played other than Heek and he mentioned Gemdet which made perfect sense.

anywho, i've also given thought to the Arch Museum being located in the base of the Great Arch. prob instead of a walkway it would have been linked directly to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

true...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Main_Avvie wrote:
i've always wondered what might lie behind the door at the split in the great stairs.

I've always thought that it was where the D'ni Department of Sanitation kept their equipment.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wafna wrote:
Main_Avvie wrote:
i've always wondered what might lie behind the door at the split in the great stairs.

I've always thought that it was where the D'ni Department of Sanitation kept their equipment.

quite honestly i've often entertained the thought it might be some sort of sewer/waterworks, catacomb or in your case a storage locker. it does appear to have some sort of a utility function to me. i've also entertained the notion that whatever's behind there might have indirect access to the famed tomb of the great king beneath the guild hall. but recently, given the motif of the Great Arch above the door, i have reason to assume it may be the Arch Museum.

before i played Myst Online i didn't realize the Kadish Gallery was behind those two nondescript doors along the Canyon Mall. as subtle as this door on the Great Stairs may be i still think it could be the access point to an important location such as the Arch Museum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:48 am 
Obduction Backer

It could also be a government building

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:04 am 
Obduction Backer

Main_Avvie wrote:
anywho, i've also given thought to the Arch Museum being located in the base of the Great Arch. prob instead of a walkway it would have been linked directly to.

Or it would have been accessable by boat... Not sure about how the logistics would have worked (obviously it was a long long way from completion at any time during the game's history) but there's a really old map (older than the current layout of the city) showing what can only be a boat route from the Ferry Terminal to the Arch. Probably would have been serviced by the sunken vessel also mentioned on the DRC list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Do you have a picture of this map?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

pokemon71096 wrote:
Do you have a picture of this map?

It's on Chiso in the Ae'gura section if IIRC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:30 pm 

The map in question is an early layout of the city by Mark Engberg, who was the architect Cyan commissioned to design the city and several of the structures in it. It shows that the Guild Hall was originally going to be located where the Tokotah Plaza now is so it really only loosely counts as a source of what the city may eventually look like. It's on Chiso as OHB said or you can just check this spoiler.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Fear is the mind-killer

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]