It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:11 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:19 am 

Of course it's not a big deal to get the solution of one puzzle at hand quickly pass it, but if we start here and there making excuses and taking away the challenge from the game, what's left in it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:28 am 

Ok, you have confused me a little bit, are you saying that the door runs are spoiling things for new players who may not even know what a door run is, never mind how to do it, or are you saying it is ok to effectively "give" them the two halves of that donut?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:09 pm 

But there is nothing of explorer's interest outside that door anyway, so if you're not a newbie and need the wedge you don't need to open it (door runs, anyone?).

Anyway, we've made our points clear. You go on what you're doing and I'll go on with what I do or what I plan to do. I only stated my view so that I wouldn't be accused of not having anything positive to contribute in this conversation.

Sorry for intruding. =_=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

I would like to propose some things:
1) This discussion must (because of Magor spoilers) moved to the spoilers free subforum.Even the title of the bevin "Door runners" is a major spoiler.

2) My opinion is that all the explorers have to be warned for the spoilers at least once even before they will follow the door runners team to a Delin ot Tsogal.

3) Finally we need people dedicated to do these runs.Nowdays i believe they are completely necessary and if they have fun doing that and help others that is beautifull.
Shorah!

Greece Ki # 117119

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:36 pm 

Dimitrios wrote:
I would like to propose some things:
1) This discussion must (because of Magor spoilers) moved to the spoilers free subforum.Even the title of the bevin "Door runners" is a major spoiler.

I am wondering if doing door runs is spoiling the game for new players, I am happy to abide by what they majority of other people decide. If they decide that it is spoiling, I will change how I organise door runs accordingly.

Dimitrios wrote:
2) My opinion is that all the explorers have to be warned for the spoilers at least once even before they will follow the door runners team to a Delin ot Tsogal.

That is a good idea except 1) Suppose a new player is warned about possible spoilers and replies that they do not want their game spoiled, they will be the ones who lose out if they don't join a door run so as not to have their game spoiled. 2) How do you propose organising a door run so that the new players can be warned about spoilers, but not have their game spoiled if they go on the door run? I'm not being critical, just asking for your input.

Dimitrios wrote:
3) Finally we need people dedicated to do these runs.Nowdays i believe they are completely necessary and if they have fun doing that and help others that is beautifull.
Shorah!

We have people dedicated to organising door runs. They are having fun helping new players and others. One of them even set up a bevin for organising door runs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Here's my go at explaining it for you Alien, I'll only give it one go as I don't want to go post crazy on this. People aren't saying that doing a door run is a spoiler, but it depends how you run it whether or not it is a spoiler. If the person has never been to Delin or Tsogal and hasn't had any time to experiment in there, then yes, it's a spoiler. If you take your time with the person as I try to do, and bring them in perhaps one on one and let them look and explore and show the workings of the age before gathering a group to go tackle it, then it isn't. To just sweep them along takes all the fun out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Here's a slightly different perspective. I was part of a group that first experienced Eder Tsogal without the possibility of having it spoiled (you can read between the lines where that would have been, as I'm not sure whether that particular NDA was lifted ;) ). We played around with the door and clothes, until someone figured out the connection. We slowly but surely got organized, and managed to get many of us through the door (it was still somewhat buggy, IIRC). This true newbie experience was tons of fun, and ideally, every newbie who enjoys that sort of puzzle-solving should have the opportunity to experience it that way.

Yet at the same time, organizing door runs is a valuable service, one that I need to take advantage of myself someday! So I would heartily encourage the organizers to keep up the good work, but perhaps find ways to impress upon newbies that there are two ways to solve puzzles in Uru (and yes, even mention the two Eders, as I think not mentioning that there are puzzles there is going to an extreme) - with the help of experienced explorers, in which case spoilage is a strong possibility, and completely on one's (newbie) own. Perhaps groups of newbies could be organized and sent to the Eders without any experienced explorers (whether a person qualifies as a newbie would have to be taken on faith, of course). In any case, I think erring on the side of a little more organization, even if some spoilage leaks out, is wise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well said Zardoz, and as for some of that stuff you mentioned... not sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:57 pm 

Well you do raise an interesting idea.

OK, this Saturday's door run (If I organise it) will be a Newbie Exploration Door run.
Veterans are welcome to attend, as with any exploration (and they may actually be needed)., but no-one is to spoil anything.
The newbies will be in charge and as long as they are confident enough, may ask us to do anything.

This is an experiment to see if :
a) We can find any genuine newbies, who really have not done this before
b) If they can figure out what to do

Provided of course, they want to do this. I will not force, manipulate or pressure anyone to do anything they don't want to.

However, if not, we may very well just do a normal door run. This is very much being played by ear, I have no idea if this will work or is even feasible, but I'm willing to try it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:30 am 

We tried to do a beginners door run yesterday, where we let a couple of beginners figure Eder Tsogal for themselves,
Myself and another were there and it was decided by the newbies that we'd need more people. I asked a couple of buddies, and we soon had more people.

Godrick did very well.

Lady Marion, I was very angry with you, but I'd like to help you.
You lack leadership skills, and I'd like to give you some tips to help you improve.
But you would have to be willing to listen, I can't force you.
It's up to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:09 pm 

I'm sorry to have to inform you that the Door Runner's Bevin will be closed. All announced runs are called off and we will not continue do the runs. We, the Door Runners, cannot guarantee for your safety in our Bevin anymore. We don't want anyone come to harm because he participated on a run we organised.

We apologise for any inconvenience newbies and veterans might suffer due to this situation. We wish you the best of luck to find enough people to do the runs in Eder Delin and Tsogal.

Finally I want to thank all the volunteers who helped in countless runs - we couldn't have done without you!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:21 pm 

I'm a sort of newbie, sort of oldie and I'm sorry I didn't see this conversation before you closed the door runs. While I began with Uru in the very first set of beta tests many years ago, I've been out of the Cavern until just recently. With a great deal of excitement, I linked into the new ages under discussion here but as I was alone, I couldn't figure them out. Only by reading in these forums did I discover that these were a group project.

At first that ticked me off. I'm not much of a joiner and while I enjoy a good conversation now and again, I've always liked being able to do the puzzles by myself. But then I was in the Cavern last weekend and angelmyst invited me to a door run. I took her up on her offer and met Alien for the first time (she led the group). I have to say, I haven't had that much fun in the Cavern in a very long time!

The run was a blast. I enjoyed the camraderie, the careful steps that needed to be taken, the double checking to make sure everyone knew what to do. No one told me what to do once I went through the door (no spoilers) and I goofed it up the first time [spoiler] I turned around to look at things and fell off the edge <smacks head>[/spoiler] but figured it out by the second one.

I've been looking forward to joining the next run I can be in the Cavern for as I now have only half a wedge -- and I liked the people I got to meet.

To me, the door runs are (were) a valuable service. I do hope you reconsider and schedule more. I have questions...and another wedge to get!

Wiste

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:28 pm 

cpt-jericho wrote:
I'm sorry to have to inform you that the Door Runner's Bevin will be closed. All announced runs are called off and we will not continue do the runs. We, the Door Runners, cannot guarantee for your safety in our Bevin anymore. We don't want anyone come to harm because he participated on a run we organised.

We apologise for any inconvenience newbies and veterans might suffer due to this situation. We wish you the best of luck to find enough people to do the runs in Eder Delin and Tsogal.

Finally I want to thank all the volunteers who helped in countless runs - we couldn't have done without you!

Uhh.... what?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlpRBLkgcBo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next