It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:51 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:43 pm 

While playing Uru Complete Chronicals, I was on the harvester and I noticed something was missing, the red button.
So I went back to the online Uru and there is a red button that is missing from the single player, offline version.

So, I started wondering, why is the button there in the online version? What is it for? If it still does nothing, then what is the point of putting a red flashing button there? (other than to annoy us all and get us asking, why?)

Here are pictures of the two versions, so you all may see what I am refering to :

Complete Chronicals

Uru Online

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

That button controls OHBot's robot army. Best to leave it alone...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've heard that it calls the dead spirit of Kadish so he can kill all who break into his age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

it summons the "Uru Streaker."

See, uh...flasher...streaker. Oh, never mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

If I recall, none of the flashing red lights in Er'cana were in CC. Is this correct? If so, it's probably just added decoration for some reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

it's not a button, it's a warning light.

if someone is standing on the walkways between the harvester and loader and someone at the controlls tries to undock the loader from the harvester, nothing will happen, and that light will flash to indicate the mechanism can't work because someone's standing in a rough spot...

same thing happens in the pillar room in kadish. if someone's trying to raise a pillar but someone is standing on them, a light atop the pannel with the reset button will flash indicating the mechanism can't operate because someone's standing on a pillar... why not in CC? because we were all to ourselves there... we could only be in one place at a time to man the controls...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:54 pm 

Main_Avvie wrote:
it's not a button, it's a warning light.

if someone is standing on the walkways between the harvester and loader and someone at the controlls tries to undock the loader from the harvester, nothing will happen, and that light will flash to indicate the mechanism can't work because someone's standing in a rough spot...

It flashes even without anyone standing anywhere... but it was a nice try of an "explanation" anyhow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

well, purely cosmetic or not there are other places online where those sorts of things have been added (such as the afore mentioned kadish pillar room) i'll have to accertain my claims for myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

EthanEver wrote:
It flashes even without anyone standing anywhere

Made ya look.. :D

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

well, that theroy's out... to me, there is no apparent reason for that light being there; it's just as useless as that left lever.

for all intents and purposes, it's purely cosmetic; though why include it in the online version is beyond me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:38 pm 

And the cutting heads, piping, main hopper, and unloading augur are also useless, for purposes of gameplay. So why are they there? The machine is a harvester. Doesn't it make sense that a harvester would have controls for the equipment that is used when the machine is performing its function, even if we never get to use it for that function? Their presence adds a bit of realism. Perhaps the red button flashes when the main hopper is nearly full, and is used to unload the grain into the hopper wagon. Perhaps the left lever lowers and raises the cutting heads, but is disabled as a safety precaution when the harvester is in the tight confines of the canyon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

BrettM wrote:
And the cutting heads, piping, main hopper, and unloading augur are also useless, for purposes of gameplay. So why are they there? The machine is a harvester. Doesn't it make sense that a harvester would have controls for the equipment that is used when the machine is performing its function, even if we never get to use it for that function? Their presence adds a bit of realism. Perhaps the red button flashes when the main hopper is nearly full, and is used to unload the grain into the hopper wagon. Perhaps the left lever lowers and raises the cutting heads, but is disabled as a safety precaution when the harvester is in the tight confines of the canyon.

true. like i said, purely cosmetic. nothing wrong with that. that's what i admire about Myst. it's still perplexing. what is the light there for? and why isn't it in the offline game? that's what this thread is asking. though, with nothing to go on so far, like so many things, it all seems to boil down to speculation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:51 pm 

Main_Avvie said
Quote:
if someone is standing on the walkways between the harvester and loader and someone at the controlls tries to undock the loader from the harvester, nothing will happen[...]

Have you tried standing on the walkway yourself? Something definitely happens when I try that :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

nonlinear wrote:
Main_Avvie said
Quote:
if someone is standing on the walkways between the harvester and loader and someone at the controlls tries to undock the loader from the harvester, nothing will happen[...]

Have you tried standing on the walkway yourself? Something definitely happens when I try that :)

yes, durring the course of my invistigations i figured that out too.

it just unceramoniously dumps the poor sap standing there off the train.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:48 pm 

Main_Avvie wrote
Quote:
it just unceramoniously dumps the poor sap standing there off the train.

Akshully...[spoiler]When I've done it, not in first person view, my avvie gets dropped, but my camera (viewpoint) rides up the track with the hopper. The view is interesting - I've watched myself fall, and seen myself running around in the valley. Plus there's some glitchy graphics inside the building. What you see seems to depend on which way your avvie was facing on the walkway.
I've had to relog each time to get connected again.[/spoiler]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next