It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:23 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:26 am 

So by now we know that the recent update incorporated a few fixes via fans courtesy of Chogon but what interests me is the line about " a small hidden change by me for future stuff". The fact that the KI now registers the Great Shaft as "D'ni-Tiwah" instead of "Descent" is also intriguing. Could "future stuff" be referring to the heretofore unreleased completed Great Shaft?

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:31 am 

Oddly, when you actually go to D'ni Tiwah, the KI still reports your location as "Descent". :?

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:09 am 
Obduction Backer

It is curious that every location in D'ni has D'ni- in front of it now. Hopefully new areas will open soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:36 pm 

It did confuse a friend of mine - wondering where all his Descent KI pictures had gone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

the Ki is almost *never* spot on. it'll say you're in one area somewhere when you're not one moment and the next some other place. though it's sometimes "mostly" right. :? giving every cavern location the designation "D'ni" is sort of beside the point to me :roll: somebody mentioned to me that any existing files in the Descent folder have been moved to the Ae'gura folder. just relink to descent to re-establish that age directory in the Ki (i wonder if the trick to sharing descent still applies?) why this name change is warrented is beyond me? :? but whatever works. (i get the importance of renaming "Bevin" to "Hood" for some people not that i've ever rly cared) the security fixes are the more pratical updates, and Chogon's mention of "something hidden for future plans" is quite tantalizing indeed!! Can't wait to see what that's about!! :)

(btw nice going invoking the davvie B. 8) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think the intention was to have every location in D'ni prefixed with it, but they forgot. It makes sense -- when you're in K'veer, you're not in the K'veer age. You're still in D'ni. It just makes it easier for people to know where each place is. Some might not know the Great Shaft is close to the cavern, so D'ni-Twiah is a bit more helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

I noticed the update today (haven't logged on MOULa for quite a while), I was thrilled when Iauncher began an update I though it might be new quests or ages added. I'm a bit disappointed finding this thread saying this update is about name change. But I have a question -- just changing some names could result in a 150mb update?! you guys are kidding me.....

KI #00464109

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:51 pm 

markringo wrote:
just changing some names could result in a 150mb update?! you guys are kidding me.....

Well, yes, exactly. Every piece of code may have multiple dependencies (or think that every place that a name change is reflected has to be updated). Almost every Age was affected since the KI has to show where you are. This is probably what made the update so large.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:53 pm 

Chogon wrote:
These were patches to the KI that were provided by Paradox a long time ago (about 10 months ago). I'll have to figure out on Monday why they seemingly didn't show up until now (I noticed that Grey Hats xKI didn't have Paradox's changes so I merged them back in - more to figure out on Monday).

That's not the right place to look for changes. I believe there were some - one I suspect is that the building noise inside the north-easterly building in the courtyard on Ae'gura (the one with the map outside) is now louder, but I've not been able to confirm that one.

Keep your eyes peeled is all I really can say. 8) There were changes - largely really minor stuff, but still changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:02 pm 

I suspect many of the files that have new dates may not have changed at all... they simply got picked up because of some other module dependency.

What I am curious about is the what might have changed (if anything) in the Wall. It might have been tagged for recompile for the same reason as most of the other Ages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Chogon mentioned something "hidden" for something they plan to do in the future... can't wait to see what that is!!

perhaps you fellas can do anything possible (and allowed) to scourer for whatever that might be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Might that "hidden" change be not yet turned on, or might it be something we can find if we look in the right place at the right time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

or perhaps on second thought we're better of *not* spoiling any surprises...?

... just a thought ...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]