It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:58 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Teamwork
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:31 pm 

Hello All,

I'm saddened by the news regarding the Door Runners Group. As someone who received help from multiple people within Uru (on Ahnonay and Eder Tsogal in particular), I can tell you I've been impressed with the decency of explorers in helping each other explore and work on multiplayer problems. If there's a chance someone wants to start up a new group or is willing to continue this effort for all of the new explorers, let me know and I'd be happy to lend a hand. In the interest of full disclosure I have yet to complete Eder Delin, and so my message is not entirely noble :) Thanks for listening.

-Durant

Ki # - 05574859

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

If you float around at the right times you'll find some great groups to help you out until people decide to re-establish a set group. A good place to check is the D'ni Museum of Art around 1800-1900 KI Time. There's always plenty of people in there that have plenty of experience. And if you want a "less spoilered" version, just ask.

Post subject: door runners
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

I too am saddened by this. My first run was so exciting and everyone was so helpful and patient. These runs are the essence of what URU Live is all about - teamwork. It's a great opportunity to get help and to give it, I do hope it is re-established not just for the newcomers but for all of us. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

What malfunctioned?

Regardless, there are any number of ways to assemble a door run. find a crowded bevin and ask. go to the city and ask. pm buddies and ask and just find a bevin with the age you want, gather there and have at it.

if you can't assemble a team try again another time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

The door run has always been prone to malfunctions. Quite often someone (first / last? I can't remember) has to log out and come back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

sometimes they don't work as intended yes... just try to figure out that puzzle too (switch to a new bevin, link in out/log in out, the usual)

if the idea is to be spoiler free... just make your intentions clear to the group thats working with you that you want to figure it out for yourself and not to drop any hints or solutions.

i might advise people however, that experimenting with the ages yourself before getting a group involved is a more preferable course of action. they can't help until the process is understood and if they're not helping they're just standing around getting bored.

that and you may have a small group accompany you consisting of those who may not know the process or those who are sworn not to divulge it who can assist you before getting a whole group together to storm the door.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Main_Avvie wrote:
i might advise people however, that experimenting with the ages yourself before getting a group involved is a more preferable course of action. they can't help until the process is understood and if they're not helping they're just standing around getting bored.

Yeah, I would agree with this... and for an additional reason, too.

Once you bring someone else to help you, it's no longer possible to be spoiler-free or solve it entirely on your own. Even if that person has no prior knowledge of what to do either, any time they make a correct suggestion or figure something out before you do, you're getting a "spoiler." The only way to be sure you get your own crack at a puzzle is to go there by yourself.

Now of course, there are degrees of spoiler. It's very different to go with a group who all know how to do it, or to be handheld and instructed the whole way through, than to be with a group of relative newbies who are all figuring things out as you go along. I think this kind of general approach can and should be agreed before the run.

However, I don't think that having no spoilers at all is realistic for multi-player. There's no way to guarantee you'll be the one to think of things first, when a second player is involved. If you want to solve the door puzzles on your own, the best way to do that is to go by yourself and determine how it works, then just join a group to help you manage the mechanics. Anything else will result in at least some of the thinking being done for you by someone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:55 pm 

This quote is from the locked "Door Runners Bevin" thread:
cpt-jericho wrote:
I'm sorry to have to inform you that the Door Runner's Bevin will be closed. All announced runs are called off and we will not continue do the runs. We, the Door Runners, cannot guarantee for your safety in our Bevin anymore. We don't want anyone come to harm because he participated on a run we organised.

We apologise for any inconvenience newbies and veterans might suffer due to this situation. We wish you the best of luck to find enough people to do the runs in Eder Delin and Tsogal.

Finally I want to thank all the volunteers who helped in countless runs - we couldn't have done without you!
Is Cpt-Jericho the legitimate owner of the Door Runners Bevin? He has only made two posts in the forums, which makes me suspect he's a troll. :?:

Even if he is the owner, then even though he can delete the "Door Runners" explorer/avvie, he cannot delete the Door Runners Bevin (hood); it will remain in the Nexus, either private or public. The bevin/hood will remain accessible so long as its other neighbors keep it public in the Nexus. In short, the door runs could remain active so long as the neighbors choose to run them.

Last edited by Susa'n on Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:04 pm 

The avatar "Door Runner" that created the Bevin is my avatar.

Cpt Jericho made the announcement because it was inappropriate for me to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:08 pm 

Alien wrote:
The avatar "Door Runner" that created the Bevin is my avatar.

Cpt Jericho made the announcement because it was inappropriate for me to do so.
I'm glad Cpt-Jericho is not a troll (sorry, Cpt; it was hard to vet you out because the thread was closed so quickly). Alien, I'm disappointed you're no longer participating in the door runs; however, I do understand it takes a lot of patience (I'm a door caller). I hope the Door Runners Bevin neighbors continue to run them; after all, no one can stop them from doing so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockpuppet_(Internet)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:18 pm 

Thanks, Adam. That's what I figured.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:27 pm 

The reason why I stopped doing door runs is an incident that happened on Friday night. Various female avatars were harassed in the most inappropriate way in the city. Alien and me were right in the center of it. It's most probable that these elements will interfere with the runs we organise in the future.
My intention doing the runs has always been to help people. But I don't want to be responsible for others to be harassed and I can't guarantee for that anymore.

I hope you understand now why the Door Runners cannot proceed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Not to tushie in or anything, but I think it might be best to leave issues from the locked thread in that thread.

This thread has the potential to be a useful one regarding the future of door runs, ways to organize them, and ways to ensure people don't receive more spoilers than they are will to accept. All of that could end up being really productive, and could benefit people who still need to complete Delin and Tsogal.

Bringing in drama from another thread is likely not to be productive, and I wouldn't want to see the discussion closed because it turned into a rehash of the same issues.

Last edited by Anna Catherine on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next