It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:36 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Maintainer Suit?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:45 am 

So I was playing MOULa in Uru Obsession's hood this past Thursday or Friday during a surprise Spoken Word night, and I KNOW I saw someone wearing a Maintainer Suit. Though I went to Gahreesen and couldn't acquire one from the usual machine. Anyone know anything about this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:30 pm 

That would have been Dra, I'm interested in this as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

I was there and asked but did not get a response from him. I'd like to know because I want to wear one really badly! (if Cyan will let us of course) :)

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

IIRC there was something in the Hood of Illusions board about requesting grey hat abilities for events. I'd imagine that this was authorized and agreed upon for effect to make that SWN more "real."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

tanshin wrote:
IIRC there was something in the Hood of Illusions board about requesting grey hat abilities for events. I'd imagine that this was authorized and agreed upon for effect to make that SWN more "real."

But those events *must* take place in The Fun House or the Hood of Illusions.

They don't take place in a random hood, or in public. To do so would break the rules set by Cyan re: the Grey Hats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ah true...

The plot thickens :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:54 pm 

A bit off-topic but I just want to set the record straight for people that may not know the story behind the maintainer suits even being in the game to begin with.

the original intention was to have the Maintainer suit put on in Gahreesen and then dropped immediately into The Wall. The tube beneath the dispenser opens up and drops you down into it. Technically you're not supposed to even see yourself in the suit until you get to the actual Wall area (which is why in the offline Uru the scene which puts it on you is kind of mean person/people). When The Wall was open for a very brief time in the early days it never worked properly, that is it was supposed to link you to a small yellow and purple version of the Nexus referred to as the "Maintainer's Nexus" when you climbed to the top. The MN was supposed to remove the suit from you and then its only visible linking book would take you back to the Gahreesen Wall observation room.

The problem is that many times you'd link to the MN and still have the suit on and then the link out wouldn't work so you would have to Relto out. This meant you would travel to Relto still wearing the suit and people started to take advantage of that glitch to keep the suit for public areas. Cyan later added the suit to the closet after acquiring it in the offline version as an easter egg. My point is, the suit was never intended to be worn outside The Wall.. that of course doesn't stop hackers from acquiring it anyway.

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sorry I do not properly remember the details on this.

Did they have their Relto book with them?

If I remember right, with Relto book the suit was aquired correctly, with out Relto book the suit is a hack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

I have asked again and again for those of those of you who have come to #writers looking for help building the internal client. I have no idea if it was one of you whom we helped or if it was someone else, but I will reiterate: Please do not wear non-public (internal) clothing in public areas. By doing otherwise, you damage all of our reputations for no good reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

I do believe he had his book.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

these individuals only ruin their own reputation. any reflection on others reputations is invalid. don't sweat it. it's too much to ask for some people to play by the rules. this is gonna keep happening. perhaps this is another case of "no harm done" but it's still a flagrant display of disrespect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Main_Avvie wrote:
these individuals only ruin their own reputation

In a world where everyone has the ability to think for himself, then this would be true. However, the tendency to lump all "hackers" together dictates that any infractions (like this one) on anyone's part affects the reputation of all hackers. Sad that we don't live in that ideal world, eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

well, you've presented this view on us before, adam. and you're right, people are inclined to think that way. but really, such thinking is baseless and anyone who is willing to believe in such reasoning is just fooling themselves so how much merit do any such criticisms have anyway? we've asked nicely that this stuff doesn't happen and yet it still happens. honestly i think making note of these things on the forums only encourages such continued behavior. i knew there'd be a post on it when i saw it. i really don't like having been right about that. like i said, it was harmless but it was a flagrant display of disrespect that garnered unnecessary attention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

lunanne wrote:
It was probably someone using an internal client.

While this is (I hope) rather innocent, I don't think I approve of using an internal client to do things like that in public(other then TFH), not on someone else's server . Nasty things can happen and be done with one.

It was done using an internal client and it was innocent. This however raises a very important question (I think it has been posted before..): if anyone can grab the source, build it, and play around with the game, what's to stop someone with too much time on their hands from messing up the game badly?

AdamJohnso wrote:
I have asked again and again for those of those of you who have come to #writers looking for help building the internal client. I have no idea if it was one of you whom we helped or if it was someone else, but I will reiterate: Please do not wear non-public (internal) clothing in public areas. By doing otherwise, you damage all of our reputations for no good reason.

True, I shouldn't have done it and for that I am sorry :oops: It was one of these moments when you do stuff just because it seems fun.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next