It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:49 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks, Dragossh. like i said, innocent, but rather than a show of disrespect it's apparent to me it was simply a lack of oversight. there are those who do show disrespect when they do these things even if they claim otherwise. but it seems to have garnered the same attention these things tend to stir up. that's why people ask nicely that it only happen where acceptable.

Dragossh brings up a good point (he's not the first) that these things *can* happen puts URU at risk...
... that's what bothers me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:17 pm 

While the internal client makes it easier to do things like this, it's quite possible to do just about every single hack you can imagine without that special build. There is absolutely no security built in to the servers, so all it takes is someone with the right motivation. The information on how to connect to the servers with your own code has been in the wild for a long, long time.

Cyan's decision not to release the server code contributes to the continued lack of security. The security flaws are already well-known, and we can't fix anything server-side without access to the code. Keeping that code hidden gains nothing and significantly decreases the chances that the security flaws will be fixed.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:21 am 
Obduction Backer

while i understand Cyan only has the capacity for limited commitment to URU these days it would be a shame for any lack of necessary attention to finally put to bed this thing that so much work has been poured in to after so many false ends...

fixing security seems like priority number one on their checklist unless they'd just prefer to *hope* nothing happens...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:04 am 
Obduction Backer

Main_Avvie wrote:
while i understand Cyan only has the capacity for limited commitment to URU these days it would be a shame for any lack of necessary attention to finally put to bed this thing that so much work has been poured in to after so many false ends...

fixing security seems like priority number one on their checklist unless they'd just prefer to *hope* nothing happens...

I'm hoping, IMHO, that security is a number one (1) issue....I'll wait for that elusive spark in Minkata and go back every night and hope to find it and be the first to report it to the rest of you...geez loueeze..It's free for cripes sake!!!!

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:16 am 
Obduction Backer

On another note....I'm MORE than happy with what Cyan and EVERYONE involved has attempted to provide AND given to us in whatever time WE think is acceptable...

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2