It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:01 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

In the Archaeology thread it was suggested that perhaps the Concert Hall balcony might have special acoustic properties thus explaining what appears to be a suboptimal location for a performance space. A partial test of this theory would require someone to climb to the balcony while one or more researchers stationed themselves at the different observation points around the canyon. The researcher on the Balcony would then speak and the observers could discover if voice carried unusually far from the balcony. Last night a generous group of explorers donated part of their evening to the advancement of knowledge to test this idea.

I first approached Annabelle knowing the yawning chasm that so intimidated me would hold no terrors for her. True to her intrepid nature she was off to make the climb without waiting for the complicated justification. Quickly other explorers volunteered to man the observation spots. Unfortunately when Annabelle reached the lower balcony we discovered that she did not have all the proper equipment to make the test. We could see that our KI's did not give us the < > signal but a thorough test required voice.

DaVinci then valiantly volunteered to make the treacherous climb to the balcony bearing the appropriate equipment (a microphone). Having wisely tested beforehand that our equipment was compatible (he stood next to me and we talked) he managed to join Annabelle on the balcony.

Despite repeated efforts none of the explorers on the observation platforms were able to hear anything DaVinci said. The observer on the mall could hear him but was within the normal range of spoken voice.

This does not absolutely rule out special acoustic properties of the balcony. DaVinci did not get his equipment into the upper balcony. The canyon's acoustics may also have been altered by the earthquake damage which is so evident. This however was probably the best test that could be conducted until someone gains access to the upper balcony or Concert Hall.

Thanks again to those who kindly indulged my curiosity.

As a side note, Davinci reported that he could not see evidence of a doorway in the lower balcony but that there was enough damage to obscure such evidence. I did not think to ask him to check for a trap door from above or below.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:30 pm 

Your wish is my command (bow) :) So shall I seek again this pathway .

KI 00142411

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah fellow explorers,

I suggest that you also include D'ni technology in this very interesting experiment. Perhaps someone can figure out how to liberate one of the (working!) Neighborhood lecture hall podium devices. We know these devices are capable of recording and playing back sounds, but perhaps there are other common uses the D'ni had for them.

And, of course, look for D'ni technology when you get to the balconies (or remnants/clues to their former presence, as we can't be sure what the DRC did and did not remove during their restoration work).

Good luck! I will hope to read more about these experiments in the near future. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:15 am 

I looked today and found an interesting view....this is a spoiler so it is not shown here in the spoiler-free discussion.

You can see my opinion here....

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 892#398892

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:43 am 
Obduction Backer

Lordly, I can almost see what you mean, we have certainly seen D'ni technology do things even more amazing, but I have trouble visualizing how your proposed concert hall would house an audience. Can you explain further or provide a diagram?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:42 am 

What if, and just stay with me for a moment here, but what if the concert hall was not intended as an enclosed performance space? Noticing it from the outside, and how it is open the way it is, perhaps it was designed to actually carry sound produced within further out into the cavern itself than in a simple, open space? Basically what I'm saying is...what if the concert hall is just a big amplification chamber? I recall someone noting in another thread how the concert hall didn't seem very well accommodated to allowing large numbers of patrons inside, but if it was only really intended for the performers to enter and then their performance to be heard from the whole of Ae'gura (or even beyond), that would explain a bit as to why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:21 am 

I have been surveying this area extensively and have come to an almost certain conclusion we are looking at this wrong. It is not front to back,but, UP and Down the Foyer we see is the upper level(s). I have some interesting pictures I will share as soon as I can develop them.
The idea of an amphitheater is plausible but I don't think the cavern acoustics would work for musicals. The echo would most likely distort to much, now a stage speaker might be feasible for giving speeches.

Big thanks to Lordly who made me look differently.

KI 00142411

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:34 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
We really don't know how it would sound. It's quite possible that the cavern was carved out in a specific way to carry music & speeches throughout. Think about the large round areas jutting out over the cavern; perhaps they served as the listening areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:45 pm 

Here is one picture for you to examine.

If you look you will see what I believe to be a lower balcony, and a wall going up.This leads me to believe that the Foyer we walk through is the top upper level. The lower front balcony<? would be at a wider point in the rock (kind of like looking at a cone) and so would have more room on the inside. What this balcony<? is far I can not tell yet,but, I do know it is connected to the Concert Hall Foyer by construction. How many levels is yet unknown also, could be 2 or 4. If I come across anything to disprove this I will inform you.

http://postimg.org/image/kx84n6vyh/

first pic I have posted please forgive my mistakes

KI 00142411

Last edited by DaVinci on Fri May 31, 2013 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:03 pm 

this doesn't have anything to do with the exploration but thought you might like to see it :) :). This is a tree I found ummm
somewhere, :) on an excursion.

Look familiar???

KI 00142411

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

I have read about that lower structure but never seen it so clearly. Does it lie on the same plane as the balcony on the other side?

It has also occurred to me to ask if the DRC designated the balcony as belonging to the concert hall? Or is it like the "tree" in the plaza just named by the explorers. We could be tying ourselves in knots trying to make some sort of pub balcony tie into the Concert Hall. I'm searching the DRC forums but it's slow going.

That's a great tree, where is it? I bet we could create a whole thread on trees. There are stands of trees on the coast that resemble the ironwork pattern in the Ae'gua. As a Mom my mind quickly turned to the trees in Go Dog Go and Fantasia.

[edit] I just looked and it is. I also see that the DRC map seems to include the balcony. The map is often not precise but that seems pretty clear. Still, it could be the balcony is not part of the performance space.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:22 am 
Obduction Backer

In examinations of the structure designated by the DRC as a concert hall the issue of the small and awkward space has been mentioned more than once over the years.

It has occurred to me that due to the shape of the theater space on the DRC map (which is inaccurate in a number of other respects) and my own preconceived notion of "a theater" I have not been taking all possibilities into account.

How would a 17th/18th century style theater fit in the concert hall space? The floor would not be raked but flat and surrounded by stacked galleries like the Globe theater or Comedie Francaise. The foyer entry would lead to the top of stairways leading down to the galleries and the floor. This still seems an awkward entry for any large audience. The space would still not be large, even if the stairs doubled back to include the space under the foyer in the theater.

The canyon balcony would still be mysterious. Perhaps we could suppose that like the early theaters, audience members of sufficient status could sit on stage? Or again perhaps it is a exclusive pub-like space.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:22 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
the issue of the small and awkward space

This has often struck me about D'ni design in general. For example, access to the Ferry Terminal seems remarkably deficient. Perhaps possession of the linking book technology has given them a different slant on things compared to us?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:16 am 

When one thinks of a concert hall or theater you automatically think of a large room filled or that can be filled with a great many people, but we forget it doesn't necessarily have to mean exactly that and your descriptions put me in mind of late 18th/early 19th century when a few well to do, the rich and/or influential would be invited to a performance of an artist of one type or another, usually a pianist i think.
If intended for small gatherings like that it would explain the dimensions of the room and entrance and fit well into what we know of D'ni class society.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:44 am 
This is Ae'gura, remember. The home of the very upper class, if memory serves.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next