It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:30 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
No, this doesn't belong in the Creativity section because I only want real stories of things that have happened in the Uru Community. I've started a little project to document the history of Uru with a focus on the community and hope people will share their histories and experiences for it.

It can be IC, OOC, an official or unofficial event, written in first or third person, as an article, story, journal entry, or a simple timeline; it doesn't matter. The only stipulations are that it happened between September 1993 (the release of Myst) and April 2008 (the closing of the cavern) and, most importantly, that it relates to the community.

It could be about an IC event that happened in the cavern, following Spyder in Cyan Chat and discovering the realMyst Easter Eggs, participating in the RivenGuild or the Riven Lyst, following the events of PreAfter, participating in the making of an explorer's video, organizing a group, creating a website, finding ways to entertain each other during Until Uru, researching the Bahro or the D'ni, going on a Bahro Glyph Tour, attending the Day of Dancing... anything.

Just one story with as much depth and detail as you can recall. (Extra credit for links to sources. :wink: )

Have fun strolling down memory lane and sharing your best experience with us. :)

Edit: removed an extraneous "the."

Last edited by Tai'lahr on Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

I.. Have one. The memories of that night are a bit hazy, but its the night MO:UL closed.

April 10th, 2008.

People were /everywhere/ - some of my friends, Terrier, IBNetweasel, Ri'ana (who would later become my Fiance.. and then my Ex-fiance >.>) and I made the trip back, from Guild Wars - where we were building a new future for ourselves...

To see the end. so many people everywhere... more than I had ever seen in Uru. And there were the Bahro.. they seemed so sad - the first time I'd seen the Bahro up close. We went to K'veer, as the world came down around us - and... then we wanted to go the Myst - Where the story began, right? so only appropriate it was where it would end. No one was hopeful, but everyone grouped together. We were one. So.. Terrier, IB, Ri, and myself.. we made our way to myst, 5 minutes to closure... I linked... and crashed.

I tried to log back in - I never made it back in. It would take me over 5 minutes to make it through the Secure Preloader (that thing you download every time you log in) so.. i never got back in.

We had massive skype groups that night - so many people, many of whom i made friends with - Mister Cloak (I miss him) Lady Ech0 (Skydiver Ech0), others. It... was the end. but it signaled some new beginnings, too.

http://mistercloak.deviantart.com/art/E ... h-82393445

Memories. <3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:49 am 

Oh boy, there are so many, and you said we only get one....hmmmm...

Ok, if I had to pick any story at all from my time in Uru, it would be the story of what a few of us did the night Wheely Engberg died.

Everyone was arguing that night all over AeGura and the hoods--Bevins, as they were called then--and there was a lot of buzz as people who'd missed parts of the story were trying to get caught up. People were trying to explain what happened, stuff was getting passed around secondhand, and misinformation was spreading just as fast as good information. To make matters worse, everyone had different theories about Wheely's death. Some people thought the bahro had killed her and were out for blood. Others were certain there was some other explanation, and some were trying to figure out if there was a real connection with the mysterious "Pod Age Predator" we'd all been hearing about. Then there were a lot of people who were mad at Cyan, OOCly, for killing off one of our favorite characters.

Anyway, my head was spinning because I was trying to make sense of it all, too, and I felt like it would be too hard to try to have a real conversation in the public areas about what was going on. So, I Linked to my instance of Negilahn. This was significant because a little while before the "Scars" episode that resulted in Wheely's death, when Dereno was released, Wheely had gone to both Dereno and Negilahn with a few of us. It was Cyan's way to promote the new areas, but it had also given us a chance to interact with one of the official characters. Wheely did that a lot--hung out with small groups of explorers as well as the big crowds. It had been a fun experience and I wanted to remember it. I remembered that of the two, her favorite had been Negilahn.

Then I invited a few explorers that I knew well to come join me. They were all people who paid close attention to the story, were knowledgeable about D'ni and were pretty cool-headed: Gondar, Gadren, Serephina, and DocOlanA. As far as I know, all 4 of them are no longer active in the community, although I wish they were. As some of you know, I try to pretty much always be IC when I'm in the game, so when they showed up I played the part of a grief-stricken explorer. This was actually partly true anyway--I really WAS very sad when Wheely was killed, in much the same way that Harry Potter fans were sad when one of their favorite wizards was killed near the end of the series. It was kind of like that for me. So all of our IC grief was actually kind of an expression of actual sadness at the death of a beloved fictional character.

So the five of us sat there in Negilahn and talked about what had happened. We went over EVERY detail we could think of related to the days that Wheely had spent trapped beneath the collapsed rubble, trying to figure out the mystery. The biggest problem was this: the most obvious culprit for Wheely's murder was the bahro that was with her. But that made no sense, because earlier in the drama, that same bahro had helped her--given her water, provided company, etc. If it wanted to kill her, why wait so long, and why help her out in the meantime? Eventually it was just Gondar and me--the others had all logged off--and we were still sitting in my Negilahn. The two of us were going over everything ad nauseum and were about to give up, when suddenly I had this epiphany. And because I love the story and am a glutton for fun drama, the next few lines of chat went something like this (I don't have the log, so this is from memory and not verbatim, but the gist is there):

ME: Oh Yahvo. I know the answer.
GONDAR: What?
ME: We've been going around in circles. It makes no sense. The fact that the bahro would help her, then kill her...it's completely irrational...
GONDAR: Yeah, I know. That's what I've been saying.
ME: IF YOU ASSUME THEY WERE THE SAME BAHRO!
GONDAR: Holy crap [or some other expression of amazement]
ME: There were TWO Bahro in the cave. The one that helped her...
GONDAR: And the one that killed her. And that means...
ME: It means you were right. It means the bahro are divided into factions.

See, Gondar had had this theory for a long time that the bahro were divided into factions. He'd reasoned that when a group of long-time slaves is suddenly freed all at once, they wouldn't be united in thought or social structure--at least not right away. He even figured that since we (the explorers) look like D'ni, at least one bahro faction might be violent and angry and want to take it out on us. He'd suggested this theory many times, but I'd never seen anyone give any credence to it. I didn't even believe it myself, mostly because even though I thought it made sense realistically, I didn't think it was where Cyan would take the story. For his theory to suddenly get that vindication, and for it to come as an epiphany in a conversation, like something out of a movie--that was just epic.

And then, of course, the next day we had that great visit from Douglas Sharper, who told us all about the Bahro Civil War that he had witnessed. We never did find out if the "Two bahro with Wheely" theory was correct, but the greater conclusion that it led to--that the theory about the divided bahro was accurate--was confirmed there and it was just really awesome.

And I think that's my favorite memory of Uru so far. No official characters or plot going on as part of the immediate experience, just a few explorers meeting within the greater context of the story. Really good times :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for the great story, Carl - it's very much the kind of thing I was hoping to see written here. :D

Here's one that was submitted to me by an explorer who doesn't have an account on these forums, but gave me permission to post it here:
Fil aka Yark wrote:
My Uru story begins with Myst; Buying the game for my daughter, playing it myself and then falling in love with the whole Myst Universe.

As a matter of course, i picked up URU when it came out and was immediately captivated by it and all of the subsequent additions. I never took advantage of the on-line function...i didn't see the point. To me, immersion in the Myst story was a personal thing. I didn't see a need to interact with others.

That all changed in 2006 when i stumbled upon a web page that contained the news that there was an online version called "Until Uru" still being offered to a select few. I bookmarked the page and basically forgot about it for a while.
On April 15, 2006, i revisited the page and decided, “I'll have a look, just for the sake of curiosity". I acquired an invitation and linked in. I chose the avie name “Filippe” (later shortened to “Fil”), the same one i had used previously in Uru. Reaching Relto, i paused.....kind of got cold feet...i knew i'd be in contact with other people when i linked into the Bevin...but i had no idea what that interaction would entail. I put my hand on the linking panel and found myself (my avie) standing by the fountain.....and there were other people there as well. I had no idea how to communicate at first and just stood there a while as words of welcome appeared on my screen. I think the Greeters that day were Kelm, Budgie and possibly Nita (if you were there and remember it let me know!). I believe my first typed communication was something like, "Wow There are people!"
Kelm finally got me sorted out and pointed me to the Gahreesen book so i could pick up my KI. I was hooked. I continued to link in day after day and hang out with the Greeters...finally moving on to complete the ages and marker missions. Eventually, i started hanging out in Ae'gura. My usual spot was the Library...where i'd sit and watch the text roll by, play an occasional game of Sardines, and generally make a nuisance of myself (lol).

I made a lot of friends. First the Greeters in my Hood...Later on Peni, Minta, IB, Pager, Capt Query, Lord and Lady Chaos, Donahoo, Ken S, Nadnerb, Amala Sandra, The Enlightened One, Madge and others. There were dances and parties, good times and bad. We all shared them as a community....a group of mad subterannean Myst junkies. Most nights we would hang out on the tent in Ae'gura, chatting and welcoming newcomers or going off on various adventures.

I also acquired access to a Kagi key and visited all of the shards, eventually settling in Slackers Shard where i made more friends.
Soon word came that Cyan had signed with Turner and Gametap and there would be a new version of Uru with new content to be called "MOUL". As the months passed, the cavern began to empty as explorers went to beta test the new format.
I had little interest in beta testing and decided to hang with UU until the end.
There were times when i sat on the tent alone, or with one other explorer. I wondered if the new MOUL would be as friendly and accommodating a place as i had enjoyed for so many months. There were questions as to whether explorers in some parts of the world would still have access.
One day i linked in and there was a single explorer sitting alone on the tent. I don't remember his name. He told me he was there waiting for his love. She had left the cavern (for whatever reason) promising to return. After a few days i didn't see him again...i don't know if they were ever reunited.

Finally word came from Cyan that they would be closing down Until Uru D'mala and the shards permanently. On the assigned day i linked in and joined the explorers awaiting the end. There weren't many. When the designated time came...Madge and I jumped from the cliff at Takotah alley...and Until Uru was no more.

For personal reasons i won't get into here, my time in MOUL was brief. I linked in, established an avie and ran through the ages, pods and missions up 'til Minkata. I saw many of my usual old friends, made a few new ones and then i was forced to leave. I managed to return for a few minutes on the day MOUL closed to say goodbye...

In February 2010, i heard that the cavern was again back online and i finally got to link in. I have to say it was one of the most enjoyable experiences since my first link....it was like coming home again.

Now i see that Uru is everywhere....There is MOULa, there are shards once again and there are the Refugees in SL. If you do a search for Uru on the web there are literally thousands of web pages devoted to it. This is a special thing we have here...and i don't believe it's going to go away.....

perhaps the ending has not yet been written......

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:56 pm 

Hi Tai!
Thanks for posting my story (above)!
:roll:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:50 am 
Obduction Backer

A story about Uru... I hope this counts.

We are on what can be considered the fifth generation of Uru now. Despite the challenges it has faced, it has been around longer than even World of Warcraft, which celebrates its 10th anniversary this year.

How'd I get to fifth? Well, first there was the Choru (the 2003 beta) era; then Prologue (when I joined); the Until Uru and D'mala era; the GameTap/MOUL/Episodic era; and now, we're in the MOULagain era.

In each generation of Uru, we've picked up some new people. And sadly as the years have ticked by, we've lost some people as well. This is a brief story about my experience with one of those people.

In early 2006, about 2 years after the Prologue shutdown, Cyan began to hint at bringing Uru back again. They launched D'mala, an "official" Until Uru shard funded by an unknown benefactor. And Mysterium, the Cyan-celebrating fan convention for all things Myst, made plans to host their 2006 event in Spokane, WA, near Cyan headquarters. I had recently moved from California to Washington State, and made arrangements to attend.

A highlight at Mysterium 2006 was an off-site trip on July 28 to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, home of Silverwood, a small amusement park. The Cyan trip wasn't until the 29th, and hanging around at the hotel all day with a lot of folks I didn't really know that well yet didn't seem appealing (no offense to those folks!), so I went to Silverwood and I ended up among a small group of friendly folk including Saphira, David (from Sweden), Thend, Cycreim, Eleri, River, Ireenquench (from Germany)... and one other person whose RL name was also David, and whose Uru name was familiar to me as he was well respected in the community. He seemed to have a never-ending passion for helping... he'd been involved in Uru long before I had, back in the formative stages of the Guild of Greeters during Choru. I did not know him personally or know anything about his history. But he seemed like a cool guy.

The nine of us had a fantastic time. It was a lovely day, the weather was good, the rides were fun, and the company was wonderful.

As I recall, when we got back to the hotel that evening, some of us went back to our rooms while others were hungry, so we (the hungry ones) went out to a nearby restaurant. There was this Mexican place not far from the hotel. And so we went to that, and that's where I learned how this one person in our group, who'd gone to Silverwood with us, who seemed in such high spirits and health, was quite ill.

He shared with us how his doctor had warned him not to go because of the stress it would put on his immune system. But he had gone anyway because he wanted to be there, to experience Cyan talking about the revival of Uru under GameTap, and to be social, and to help in any way he could as he always did. I learned how he'd gone through some difficult times earlier in his life, but had done his best to move past that... but he was still living with the consequences of his past actions, and he was taking a risk with his life to attend the convention at all, not to speak of heading out to an amusement park.

He just wanted to live life, to experience it, and to share in the joy of that experience with all those around him.

What else can I say about this man? IC, he was elected alongside several other long-time community members to a committee known as the DRC Liaisons, and served dutifully in his role until the Liaisons could no longer operate effectively. He also helped out with the Mysterium committee planning for their 2008 convention in Boston, MA. But sadly, he passed away in June that year, a month before the convention took place.

It's been six years since, and this lingering community would still benefit from more people like him.

In memoriam of CAGrayWolf, aka Wolfie.

CAGrayWolf at front right, exiting the river rapids ride at Silverwood. June 28, 2006.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:56 pm 

what a beautiful heartfelt post Marten

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:45 am 
Obduction Backer

Marten, thank you for posting a story that truly reflects CAGrayWolf's personality and spirit.

As I was searching the forums for something else, I came across another thread of memories and thought I'd post a link here:
MOUL Memories started by Zardoz on February 4, 2008.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:31 am 
Obduction Backer

My favorite memory from MOUL has to be the Wonderland characters party in the Looking Glass Hood.

Back in 2008 when I used to play as JayGee, another explorer named Chakra and I created the Looking Glass Hood and made alts named TweedleDum and TweedleDee. We started recruiting other players to make Wonderland themed alts. We had such an amazing group of people in our hood, all with Wonderland names. The Walrus, Mad Hatter, The Mouse, Cheshire Cat, Jubjub Bird, and a long list of others (including Alice, of course).

We had our inaugural party in Feb 2008. There was a reading of The Walrus and the Carpenter, a Caucus race in the egg room, and lots and lots of dancing thanks to beachrm's awesome playlist.

Everyone there became family. It was really the best time I've ever had before or since.

Here's the original thread about the party with some pics if you're interested: http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14892

Salvo Ludus: KI #21762126
JayGee: KI #63214

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:53 am 
Obduction Backer

I remember my first day in the cavern very well. It was back in the GameTap days. I arrived in my DRC hood and was looking around. Sitting in the middle of the floor outside the classroom was someone named mystystarlight. She said Sora and of course I asked what that was. Next question was "how do you use voice?" and she explained. I had so many questions and she had so many answers.

As time went on she introduced me to her husband sebastian and their group of friends and I joined their neighborhood. Everyone was so welcoming and nice and had great senses of humor. We'd spend hours at night just chatting and pulling silly stunts like dressing up as care bears and going to the city to play the care bears theme and dance to it to for no good reason. I'm not sure but it might qualify as the cavern's first flash mob!

When the cavern closed a bunch of us moved to There.com and we stayed together for the most part. I've met seb and mysty many times and stayed at their home in Indiana. I even met LittleRed2. I haven't seen them in years but we remain friends on Facebook to this day and I know that I could drop by their house anytime I'm in that part of the middle of nowhere :)

This story is more of an overview, but I mention it because of that first fateful day in the cavern. Without that chance meeting, who knows how things would have been different. But, my love of D'ni and this community has its roots in that moment. And, for that, I will be ever thankful.

Apart from that, my favorite memory is that time when my Arch Nemesis kidnapped me and threatened to blow up the cavern. What makes it my favorite is that everyone in the city rallied to solve a puzzle to disarm the bomb and free me. That event and some subsequent minor ones are pretty well documented already:

viewtopic.php?t=21589
viewtopic.php?t=21634
viewtopic.php?t=21639
viewtopic.php?t=22117
viewtopic.php?t=27041
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeSqC2gz39w

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

I don't know if it really makes a good story, but I'll share my experience. It's a sad story, really. But it starts out pretty good.

Way back in 2003, when Uru first came out, I was excited. The first game made by Cyan in a long time had finally been released. I went through and played through the ABM storyline. I loved it. Finally the veil had been pierced and I finally got a glimpse of who the D'ni really were.

Of course, I saw that there was to be a online component, and was intrigued. Not by the social aspect of it, but rather the promise of an ever-evolving storyline.

So of course I sign up to be included. I was part of those first groups to see the cavern.

When I first linked to Ae'Gura, I was stunned. At the time, it was the only public age. It was magnificent! Those towering stairs, and the giant tree above it. Now, at that time, I think the limit was 20 people at a time, so it wasn't as full as it was later, but even then, after all that time wandering the ages of Myst alone, to actually see people was really something.

At some point I sat down with a few other explorers and just chatted. Not about anything important that I remember, just about things going on, and other random subjects. The kind of things you discuss with longtime friends. For somebody who doesn't make friends easily, this was really something special.

After that, I was hooked. The story that I came for never did develop. It was canceled too soon for that to happen. I'll never forgive Ubisoft for that. However, I was hooked by the community. There is something so special about the Myst community, and this was my first exposure to it.

Thanks to those few explorers, I got involved with the community over at the UruObsession forums. Had a lot of good times there. Made some friends. Got into some debates about the finer points of linking theory.

I was of course shocked and heartbroken when the Prologue was cancelled. I had formed a very real connection with this world and the people in it. Even with all the maddening bugs and problems it had, I cherish that time, because I can never have it back.

I tried to get back into it during the GameTap era, and while I did spend some time there, most of the friends I had made were either gone or I couldn't find them. I don't know why, but I never really got back into it. Perhaps I didn't want to be heartbroken again when it ended. So I missed large portions of the story. It's such a shame really, considering that's why I was so interested in the online part in the first place.

I spent some time in the watchers pub, did a few door runs, met some really nice people. I was less shocked when Cyan announced that they were ending it again. Maybe it was because I was less involved, or that I saw the early signs, but I knew it wasn't going to last.

When the GameTap era ended, I was lost. Shortly, the UruObsession forums closed down, and that was it. I've visited the caven sporadically since Cyan brought it back. I remember a party I went to in Phil's Relto that was pretty fun. Didn't know a single person there. All the people who I had made connections with were long gone. Hadn't heard from them in years. It's really kind of sad.

Last time I was in the cavern was during the Obduction campaign. That was fun, but again, I didn't feel that connection with everyone that I did that first trip. Maybe it was because so many of these people were new and hadn't experienced Uru the same way I had. Whatever the reason, I'm not sure I'll ever be as active as I was back then.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thank you, SalvoLudus, OHB, and Magic for sharing your wonderful stories.

Magic88889 wrote:
I was hooked by the community.
That seems to be a recurring theme in many of the stories I've read during my research.

Magic88889 wrote:
There is something so special about the Myst community
Which is why I'm so keen to document it and tell our story.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
SalvoLudus wrote:
My favorite memory from MOUL has to be the Wonderland characters party in the Looking Glass Hood.

Back in 2008 when I used to play as JayGee, another explorer named Chakra and I created the Looking Glass Hood and made alts named TweedleDum and TweedleDee. We started recruiting other players to make Wonderland themed alts. We had such an amazing group of people in our hood, all with Wonderland names. The Walrus, Mad Hatter, The Mouse, Cheshire Cat, Jubjub Bird, and a long list of others (including Alice, of course).

We had our inaugural party in Feb 2008. There was a reading of The Walrus and the Carpenter, a Caucus race in the egg room, and lots and lots of dancing thanks to beachrm's awesome playlist.

Everyone there became family. It was really the best time I've ever had before or since.

Here's the original thread about the party with some pics if you're interested: http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14892

Shorah, SalvoLudus! Yes, I was The Walrus (goob goob g'joob), and I remember that reading well. Why? Because we had no idea what else we could do within those particular avatars.

Anyways, whatever happened to that particular Hood? It seems everyone just lost interest and just wandered off, which is a shame. A lot of potential was lost.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

TOOO wrote:
Shorah, SalvoLudus! Yes, I was The Walrus (goob goob g'joob), and I remember that reading well. Why? Because we had no idea what else we could do within those particular avatars.

Anyways, whatever happened to that particular Hood? It seems everyone just lost interest and just wandered off, which is a shame. A lot of potential was lost.

Shorah, TOOO!! Lately I'm not in the cavern as often as I'd like, but when I am you're one of the people I look out for.

That reading was my favorite part of that party. You guys did a great job.

The Looking Glass Hood is still there. Last time I checked there were only a handful of neighbors left. I think Chakra and I had an argument over something incredibly stupid and just stopped having parties. The trial of the knave of hearts was going to be great! I still have the script we wrote lol

Salvo Ludus: KI #21762126
JayGee: KI #63214

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:41 am 

I remember an IC event probaly only 3-4 people know of, 2 of which have already posted to this thread. :)
It was an evening during Game Tap's reign, shortly after the Scars episode. Things in the cavern were gettign quite slow and nothing really new was ocurring.
There was a young avatar that came into the Guild of Greeters hood. Re'Ro'Dahn was his name, a frightened and scared explorer. He had been to the public city earlier seeking help and not getting any went to the GOG. There he stayed in the shadows trying to seek help but no one spoke his is language.
He went to the community hall to hide and listen trying to understand these strange people,until, some one frightened him away and he ran to the meditation/egg room. There an explorer came to him, she tried to speak with Re'Ro'Dahn, but called upon another explorer to help. This explorer came to help at the room but he also contacted another which was more fluent in the language.
Do you remember? :)
I enjoyed that particular evening, because it was a first attempt at doing anything like that and I entertained a few fellow explorers for about an hour. I was nervous as anyhting thinking it would not work out quite right.

KI 00142411

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next