It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

korovev wrote:
sirpuma wrote:
the way cool Pod Clock doesn't seem to be calibrated properly.

You have to calibrate it yourself :wink:

I ran the calibration button on it, it creates a .txt file. Not sure what exactly it's supposed to do, but last night I sat in Pod 18 for 30 minutes, 15 minutes prior to indicated opening time to 15 minutes after indicated opening time and there was nothing.

Does it make a difference if I link in from my Relto or the Cavern?

**ETA Looking at the calibration stuff on the tool, it looks like I'll have to sit in a pod for 13 hours and wait till it opens, then adjust the tool to indicate when that pod opened. :?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

sirpuma wrote:
Does it make a difference if I link in from my Relto or the Cavern?
**ETA Looking at the calibration stuff on the tool, it looks like I'll have to sit in a pod for 13 hours and wait till it opens, then adjust the tool to indicate when that pod opened. :?
No, I suppose it doesn't make a difference ... As for the calibration, this is very simple, I just added one correct time to the calibration window at the bottom ... You have to have a correct time of one portal appearence, in the calibration window choose the resp. pod, which shows up with the 'old time', down below then enter the correct 'new time', then save the 'Calibration.txt' ... all other times for the other pods are being adjusted automatically on the basis of that txt file ... I've added another time for the fun of it, which didn't make much of a difference, so one correct time might be enough ... until such occurrence I'd use one of the other pod tools though (see my link above), cause they work quite precisely with two to three minutes up or down ... :P

I wonder how it could happen that nothing happens for such a long time though ... There's one portal calendar which doesn't observe DST, it actually only shows UTC+1, in case you've used that one, but it is indicated as such clearly, so, you'd have to add or subtract some hours up or down, maybe you should use others instead, other than that I cannot imagine sth else, all others show local time ... maybe someone else has other additional thoughts or ideas, don't despair, sirpuma ... :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:57 am 
Obduction Backer

sirpuma wrote:
I ran the calibration button on it, it creates a .txt file. Not sure what exactly it's supposed to do

That text file just saves your entered calibration points so you can load them again or share them with other explorers. A calibration point is an observation of the actual time when you saw a portal open. Predictions of future portals are based on your observations of past portals, although to give you a headstart and not require you to enter the full number of observations required to make predictions (at least one for each pod and two for at least one), there are some built-in estimates. This is to accommodate for the most common use today – people who just want to get their portals as quickly as possible. But the purpose Pod Clock was really made for is as a tool for people (specifically, myself) who want to solve the puzzle on their own.

sirpuma wrote:
last night I sat in Pod 18 for 30 minutes, 15 minutes prior to indicated opening time to 15 minutes after indicated opening time and there was nothing.

That’s weird, it shouldn’t be off by that much, just by a few minutes. If uncalibrated (built-in estimates are used), that is – if you have already entered any calibration points that are way off, then the predictions will be equally way off, of course. In Negilahn (pod 18) and Payiferen (pod 13), you can tell from the time of day whether the predictions are halfways reasonable. If you can tell me the exact time you were expecting a portal, I can check that for you as well (or you can compare it to any of the online predictors).

sirpuma wrote:

You don’t have to wait for 13 hours if you solve the puzzle properly. There are hints that give you a better starting point… :)

janaba1 wrote:
I've added another time for the fun of it, which didn't make much of a difference, so one correct time might be enough

Note that once you add a second observation for the same pod, long-term predictions may actually get less accurate. That’s because as soon as there are two observations for one pod, the difference between those (or a divisor of it if they are multiple pod days apart) is used as the estimate for the day length (portal period), replacing the built-in estimate. The built-in estimate for the day length is pretty accurate, because otherwise predictions would run out of sync with reality too quickly. The difference between any two portals observations is likely to be less accurate than that if you didn’t measure them to a fraction of a second, and it takes many observations (or few observations but a long time apart) to average out the errors.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:50 am 
Obduction Backer

Christian Walther wrote:
janaba1 wrote:
I've added another time for the fun of it, which didn't make much of a difference, so one correct time might be enough
Note that once you add a second observation for the same pod, long-term predictions may actually get less accurate. That’s because as soon as there are two observations for one pod, the difference between those (or a divisor of it if they are multiple pod days apart) is used as the estimate for the day length (portal period), replacing the built-in estimate. The built-in estimate for the day length is pretty accurate, because otherwise predictions would run out of sync with reality too quickly. The difference between any two portals observations is likely to be less accurate than that if you didn’t measure them to a fraction of a second, and it takes many observations (or few observations but a long time apart) to average out the errors.
I've added another time for a different pod not the same, but it is good that you've explained it for all that it would make no sense to confuse your wonderful pod calendar tool in that way ... :D

As I still needed the Negilahn portal I grabbed it yesterday night (my time), it appeared exactly at 00:33 am my time (UTC+2) = 16:33 pm KI time as indicated/predicted by your now calibrated fancy app, Christian ... 8)

The only calendar which is also precise even without calibration is the one of the 'D'ni Museum of Art', I don't know how they did it, maybe you can make a guess or know it even, but it is only convenient for Europeans as it shows UTC+1, so I myself only have to add an hour atm, and have local time shown between November and March, but their predicted time is the only precise one besides yours ... However, with all other tools one usually cannot miss any portal by being there 5 (or 10 to be sure lol) minutes beforehand and then waiting for about 10 or 15 minutes, taking into account that it might be possible that sometimes the portals might appear at slighty different times (maybe seconds or 1 or 2 minutes I suppose) for some as Annabelle has been told by others ... :)