It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:20 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:52 pm 

This might be fun.... since we've all had to re-do the Ages, what's the Age you most like to replay, the one you LEAST like to replay, and why?

For me...

Most like to replay: Teledahn. For SO many reasons. The beautiful ambient track that plays in that shack you link into, the way that giant pollen looks like snow... that rapidly-moving sun in the sky was ALWAYS thrilling to me... nothing says 'you're on another world' more than a misbehaving sky.

Mainly, tho, it's the fact that it's the one Age I don't have to look up anything-- I solved this sucker without a walkthrough and I always remember the solution. So I can go right thru on the first try, from memory.

A close second would be Gahreesen, followed by Eders Tsogal and Gira.

Least like to replay: Minkata. This is the one Age I had to cheat on EVERY replay-- never cracked it; I never could make head or tail of what the flags & numbers meant, nor what order to climb into those kivas, nor what to do next.... I had to use a walkthrough just to figure out where to START, and even knowing HOW to 'work the problem' I still couldn't arrive at the correct solution.

A year or so back I made a giant marker game that led explorers to every needed feature. This is because even AFTER you already know the secrets, even AFTER you know the general direction to go in, you can still end up lost in the desert and have to link out to find yourself again. I haven't even replayed this one yet; I know I eventually will, but there's very little excitement about having to solve it.

Tho... I do like to go in and just SEE it. I will admit that the music there, the starry sky, the atmosphere, is also quite beautiful. I just wish it wasn't such an uphill battle to solve.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:56 pm 

My favorites are definetely Teledahn and Er'cana. They both have a certain techyness that I enjoy a lot, and all the little details that fit well into the big picture are fun to (re)discover. Not to mention the great soundtrack, especially in Er'cana.

For my least favorite ages I'd say the pods and their timing. It can be a pain to find a date on which the portals appear during the afternoon or evening in my timezone and then remember to be in Uru around the time. It's also very rare that I happen to be playing at the time when a portal appears, so I practically always have to plan ahead to get them.
Ahnonay is also somewhat tedious to do, though not as much as the pods. Running around the islands over and over and over again gets repetitive. It's also easy to forget what state you left the age in - I once accidentally turned the currents back on and jumped in the water, thinking I'd have turned them off. That was annoying to fix.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think Kadish is my least favourite because I can't remember the scope settings and always have to look them up - and because there are so many places where you can FAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaallll - I get this horrible vertigo at the vault (I think I saw that Alan D has this too.)

I agree with you about Minkata, Harvey - as I'm running for a kiva, I am always stressing that I'll get lost and will have to give up and start again. But I've got Zesty's Quest, and on my new laptop I can use Annabelle's light technique, so things are now a lot better.

The chair bug makes Ahnonay more annoying than it would otherwise be. But I even like chasing Quabs! I don't have a special favourite Age - I enjoy playing (the rest) of it!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, I like Teledahn too, and it is a source of considerable interest in trying to work out some of the story behind it. I get a bit annoyed with the running to and fro to get the book to the spy room, but you only have to do that once.

I really like Minkata :) It seems like I'm alone in this, but I find that the combination of mapping and astro-navigation to be fascinating. I solved it straight away, using the vector addition method, and still enjoy re-running it. I rarely miss a kiva so badly as to be unable to find it after finishing a run. The keys are getting the direction right, and shifting sideways once you have that so there is a clear run off the top of the bonehenge.

I do like the big vistas in Kadish, especially the vault. When you first see that place there is a definite sharp intake of breath :) Climbing up to the vault is not so bad, but the sense of exposure when you are descending that crumbling staircase, with a small platform at the bottom and no handrails, is quite alarming :o

Ahnonay is so involved that I still can't do it without my notes. And the amount of re-running the first three ages to get all the goodies as well as solving the puzzle is very tiresome :) One of these days I'll have to work out the best method to solve it with a group of people, I'm sure there are shortcuts to be made.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:48 pm 

Minkata is my favorite, because while I used a bit of help figuring out some of it, once I understood how it worked, I sat down with graph paper, a ruler, and a protractor, and mapped everything out properly. It was exciting to have "figured it out", and it was rewarding to find each kiva out there.

Plus the night music (after finding the symbol) is awesome! I will admit to, last night, standing in the broken cage at night for about 10 minutes, just rocking out to the music.

Least favorite... hrm, that's hard. Does Jalak count :D ? Other than that... you know, I might have to say Ae'gura. I feel that some of it just doesn't fit what I would expect of D'ni. After that, I would Er'cana, because the biggest area is just empty, and then you're funneled into this tiny, straight line part of the Age that doesn't really have a good pay off.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:32 pm 

Teledahn is the first age I head to....I love that I can just go do it without looking anything up. By far my favorite age is and always will be, E'rcana.. Mountains have always been my favorite landscape and the blue beauties of this age are captivating.
Least favorite....not an age...but finding the original red/ green GZ markers. As many times as I have done them, I still forget where one is, not always the same one.
Angelmyst is glad...very glad to have Catherine's tunic back...and fireworks in my relto!!

KI #03313934

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

in the best, i'd say Eder Delin, Kadish (i just love to sit by the 3rd scope and listen there) and Minkata at night (how many can we talk about?)

about the least... hmmm...

Membre du quartier Mystpedia - KI 9392
Alts : EG Jan (gone) / Sleeper Jan KI (coming soon)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:22 am 

My favorite is Eder Kemo. Most of the time it's quiet, there are spots where you can sit and enjoy/relax, it contains a fountain, clouds are moving, you can hear plants scroop or creak and sometimes it's getting windy. After a while weather changes: a storm approach, it's getting darker, thunder, bolts, rain and some lamps give light. After a short while everything is calming down.

I dislike Eder Gira. It is not quiet, desolation or solitude everywhere you're looking at and nothing what can excite, except stingrays, which reveal their secret at night. You can't relax because steamvents and waterfall do make bugging noise. Not an age to advise someone. The only thing that may blaze this fiasco/tragedy is the sky at night: wonderful stars and two moons.
After every visit i want to rest some hours in Gahreesan's Prison Cell, just escaping from that visual torture in Eder Gira.

Just my Image

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:11 am 
Obduction Backer

Who never gets sick and tired of Delin and Tsogal? I mean, who doesn't love door runs? amiright? :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:24 am 
Obduction Backer

I love them all, but I always find myself taking pictures in Kadish and Ercanna.
And I can stay in the Bahro Dni-Rudennas for a long time watching the ceiling lights !So Pretty!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:13 pm 

Shorah,

My least favorite Age to replay would be,

Gahreesen because I keep falling through the center rock pier and
the spinning bridges!!! No collision meshes on them at all! I have reinstalled
many times its just plain borked.

and then theres,
Minkata

As puzzles go IMO, this age is the hardest age to do without cheating! (via a marker quest)

URU - KI - Atrus 03668735, Katran 00982487,
URUb - KI - 00356281

Last edited by VoiZod on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Most favourite Kadish!

I hate minkata :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:51 am 
Obduction Backer

Least favorite to play through? Eder Delin and Eder Tsogahl. I love those Ages (Tsogahl is one of my favorites) but I hate having to try and find people to do a door run. Thus far those are the only Ages I still haven't completed since the data wipe last year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tweek, I'm astonished - the door run action was hectic after the Great Reset... I'd be surprised if there were too few takers for a "Door Run" call on the plaza, at any time - but having said that I've not been there very often in the past few weeks.

Propose a date and time and I bet we can get an allstar combination for you :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm in for that as well...Just let us know when

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next