It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:47 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The Backdoor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:30 am 

I've known for years that I can

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Jump into the water in the first Teledahn mushroom from the top of the linking hut,

but I was surprised again this week when I found that

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I can jump over the rock fall in Eder Gira from the top of the arch.

I wonder what other shortcuts I've missed.

Post subject: Re: The Backdoor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:08 pm 

I don't want to despair you but there's a lot of shortcuts that you can find here and there (and I'm staying in the field of normal run-jumps).

That rock fall in Gira is also quite easy to go over just by running up it and when your shoulders are clear you do a simple run-jump to go over the top no need for the vent puzzle solution.

I think we have a huge bias that comes from URU:CC and the early walkthroughs who were written for MOUL. Those explorers were maybe not the most skydiver type of explorers and the way they tell how to manoeuvre through certain area (Gahreesen for instance) is just funny.

An excerpt from my memory: "In the locker room, climb the ladder leading to the ledge where the cloth is located, touch the cloth, then climb back down the ladder and climb the opposite side ladder to reach the other ledge. From there, climb the broken top floor piece to reach what's remain of that original top floor..." I'll say there's more easy way to do that :lol: Once you touched the said cloth just run-jump on that broken top floor piece then you just need to keep run-jumping until you reach the top floor. So the writter of such walkthrough was option 1 not aware of that or option 2 unable to do it because of the behaviour of the game at that time. (talking of Gahreesen in that paragraph)

The thing is that it's stuck in our collective memory and now we think that's the only intended and mostly right way to behave in that area which in my opinion is false.

I think many explorers are just afraid and don't exploit some little stuff. In Gira, for example, it amazes me to read explorers saying, I'm reaching (hardly?!?) the vent in the middle of the lava stream then (exhausted?!?) by this (awesomely hard?!?) jump, I link out and return after.

From that vent on the rock formation, you just need a simple not terrible run-jump to free yourself afterward.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:44 pm 

Upper Gira is basically the only place where I use jumping shortcuts, but there I do it A LOT :P There's such an easy way to quickly get from the link-in spot to the rubble pile: run up the slope, turn left, jump off the steep ramp-like rock formation - you are now on one side of the big stone arch/bridge - and finally jump/run/slide down the ledge to the rubble. The way back isn't as quick, but you can still easily jump from the rock arch to the other side of the lava ravine.

As Annabelle mentioned it is also very easy to get off the pillar with the vent on it with a run-jump. I think you can also jump onto the pillar that way, but that usually isn't necessary, because then you'd need to go back up and slowly walk off the edge to get to the journey cloth.

But somehow I always overestimate how far the pillar is from the cloth ledge.
That looks kinda far away, but a run-jump should be safe enough... *flies miles over the pillar and slams into the opposite rock face*

The small Gahreesen fortress only has that one rubble spot where you can do some shortcutting, everything else is a high-security fortress (duh). In Er'cana you can do some rock-climbing, but it doesn't really get you anywhere. Oh, and in the final area of Kadish Tolesa you can run-jump off the ledge on the right side of the entrance and you'll land on the ledge in front of the journey door. Much faster than walking over that one beam.

Last edited by dgelessus on Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:45 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Annabelle wrote:
I think we have a huge bias that comes from URU:CC and the early walkthroughs who were written for MOUL. Those explorers were maybe not the most skydiver type of explorers and the way they tell how to manoeuvre through certain area (Gahreesen for instance) is just funny.
Yes, but I think those are probably following what was most likely the designer's expectation of how someone would move through the ages, largely how you'd do it if you were attempting it in real life - some of those run-jumps over uneven surfaces would sprain an ankle (at least) :wink:
From the game creator's point of view, it's difficult to test for and eliminate all such "exploits" so although many may get caught before a game is released (that's where the beta testers come in), lots will slip through testing. But it's in the nature of gamers to try to find the easy way to do something if the obvious way turns out to be "hard" :)

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:06 pm 

dgelessus wrote:
In the final area of Kadish Tolesa you can run-jump off the ledge on the right side of the entrance and you'll land on the ledge in front of the journey door.

That's the only way I knew how to get to that door :lol:

KI#02140834

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:21 am 

Mac_Fife wrote:
Yes, but I think those are probably following what was most likely the designer's expectation of how someone would move through the ages, largely how you'd do it if you were attempting it in real life - some of those run-jumps over uneven surfaces would sprain an ankle (at least) :wink:

In RL, I'm the average Jane :lol: I'm not overusing the Health Services for broken body parts due to a daredevil rush. I'm taking revenge online over RL :)

Mac_Fife wrote:
From the game creator's point of view, it's difficult to test for and eliminate all such "exploits" so although many may get caught before a game is released (that's where the beta testers come in), lots will slip through testing. But it's in the nature of gamers to try to find the easy way to do something if the obvious way turns out to be "hard" :)

"Hard" or "Demanding" or "Exacting", mostly this is why I'm shortcutting puzzles and areas but also for the thrill of it. I'm acting like that in RL. If there's a path or a trail in a park, high odds are I'm off it :wink: but but... I'm not taking risk for what I described above though.

-----------------

Lights And Magic wrote:
dgelessus wrote:
In the final area of Kadish Tolesa you can run-jump off the ledge on the right side of the entrance and you'll land on the ledge in front of the journey door.

That's the only way I knew how to get to that door :lol:

A funny fact about that is that the walkthrough I mentioned earlier proposes it but as an alternative way. The intended way which doesn't involve too much jumping is...

[Reveal] Spoiler:
you get to the middle platform where you enter the code to unlock the vault door on the panel, you drop down on the big pole that stretches all the way down to the side wall ending just over the ledge of the journey door, you follow it and when you stand over the said ledge, you drop down again. (That would be in my words the intended way)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:50 am 

Mac_Fife wrote:
I think those are probably following what was most likely the designer's expectation of how someone would move through the ages, largely how you'd do it if you were attempting it in real life - some of those run-jumps over uneven surfaces would sprain an ankle (at least) :wink:
But it's in the nature of gamers to try to find the easy way to do something if the obvious way turns out to be "hard" :)

That's why I think it's funny that it's taken me five years to find such an easy shortcut. I tend to be a by-the-book, do-it-the-way-the-game-designers-intended kind of girl. (At least until I get bored. I confess I have used Annabelle's "jump to the other set of lockers" shortcut). Every other time I've been through Gira I've used the vents and never tried it any other way. I like that this game can still surprise me, even when I thought I'd discovered all it's secrets long ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:23 pm 

deck15 wrote:
I like that this game can still surprise me, even when I thought I'd discovered all it's secrets long ago.

And it's really the only important thing here despite all what I wrote or others wrote: the surprise, the fun of the discovery. I encourage you to get bored again and try something new! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Annabelle wrote:
That rock fall in Gira is also quite easy to go over just by running up it and when your shoulders are clear you do a simple run-jump to go over the top no need for the vent puzzle solution.

From that vent on the rock formation, you just need a simple not terrible run-jump to free yourself afterward.

The first I have just tried and it seems quite straight forward or simple to do but my Avvie seems not to have the spring in his legs to get over the rock fall. The second one freeing myself from the vent on the rock formations seems absolutely impossible. I am guessing my hardware is the problem. Annabelle, what do you have for hardware?

Thanks, jek

edit: I found how to jump off the stone formation with the vent :D . I never turned around and looked behind to see the way! Loaded the game on my wifes notebook that has a Core i5 64bit but still no luck clearing the rock rubble. :sad:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:43 pm 

jek,

I'm using mainly 2 PCs:

1st) quad-core i7 64bits with 12 Gb ram & 1 Gb Videocard (4 years old now)
2nd) duocore 32bits with 4 Gb ram & 512 Mb Videocard (8 years old now)

Here are some explanations in images:

[Reveal] Spoiler: "for the rock pile"

[Reveal] Spoiler: "for the rock formation with the vent"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hi Annabelle, thanks for the tips :D . I had figured out the second one on my own. Still have the imprint on my forehead from slapping myself for being so dense :oops: . I will work on the first one.

My hardware is now a bit old, Pentium D duo core with 4GB RAM and a ATI graphics card with 1GB, not a real expensive one but was a quick upgrade because something else would not work.

I just retired and am trying to decide if I want to build another new machine :roll: :?:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:55 pm 

Hi jek,

on a slower machine try to go up to the hips. I tried and it worked. And always use the skydiving client for these tricks, not that I'm saying it won't work otherwise but since I don't use any other client, my result can only be confirmed on the skydiving client.

Also remember the height of a female is not that of a male so you might have to adjust 'shoulders', 'hips' cues to your avatar's dimensions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

I tried installing uruskydiving.exe, MOULa not loaded or running, and I first got a complaint that libeay32.dll was missing which I searched for and found a zip I had downloaded and extracted that to the c:\windows\syswow64 folder and then tried again. Now a new complaint, nxcharacter.dll and who knows what after that?? Is there a full or complete skydiver client install that works better?

Annabelle wrote "on a slower machine try to go up to the hips." Not sure what you mean here or how I would begin to adjust.

I am researching new hardware, are you using Win 7 Pro? Have you tried Win 8.1?

Oh, hope you are safe where you live and away from the recent dangers!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:39 pm 

This should be all you need for the Skydiver's Client Setup.
Go step by step, and you shouldn't have a problem.

Click on this link:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26610

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:46 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Which has reminded me to update the link I gave in that thread for the OpenSSL DLLs - I rebuilt them at version 1.0.1h after the Heartbleed bug was fixed. OpenSSL is now at 1.0.1l, but I never intended to try to keep up to date with every version.

[Edit: Here is the 1.0.1l build of libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll - http://uru.mac-fife.me.uk/openssl-1.0.1l.zip]

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next