It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:34 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:41 am 

Shorah everyone :D

I forgot it. :oops:
My KI has Age of "Neighborhood".

However, I do not remember how I went to Neighborhood. :roll:
Where is Neighborhood?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:58 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
The Neighborhood is the first book on your shelf, the first place you linked into on your way to Gahreesen to get the KI; it has the fountain, light garden, egg room and classroom.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:05 am 

:D :D :D Thank you very much Tai'lahr!! :D :D :D

However, it is usually called Bevin. :wink:
My KI has a neighborhood except Bevin and Hood.

If I remember correctly, I think that I used Nexus to go there.

--- By the way ---
For example, Descent is displayed with D'ni-Tiwah.

My KI...
Relto
Bevin
Gahreesen
Nexus
D’ni-Ae’gura
Cleft
Teledahn
Kadish
Eder Gira
Eder Kemo
~~~~~~~~
Neighborhood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:32 am 
Obduction Backer

Chiro wrote:
However, it is usually called Bevin. :wink:

Yes, but it should not :wink: .

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:45 am 
Obduction Backer

Bevin was the name of a neighborhood and it became instanced meaning there were multiple versions of it. Many Uru fan historians didn't like that, so they were renamed Hoods (because "Neighborhood" was too long to fit on the nexus). However, the change didn't apply to DRC neighborhoods.

According to the D'ni Dictionary, tiwah means shaft, so that's probably what the D'ni called it and why it would show up that way in the KI which was made by them. Descent is probably the name given to it by the surface humans who discovered it, and since it led downwards (descended) for them, they named it that.

Hope that helps make some sense of these names for you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Neighborhoods are something of a touchy subject. That's because they were supposed to be different places scattered all around the walls of the cavern, but aren't in practice. Instead, they are all at exactly the same KI coordinates, and are identical in layout down to and including placement of stalactites and stalagmites, which would be impossible if they were real. There is a small library of floor cracks that are used to make them look a little different, and they have some features such as the clock and the paper lanterns that are turned off when neighborhoods are created. This causes arguments about their true nature. For example, I tend to think of them as being instances of the same place, while many others hold to the idea that they are separate locations and the KI coordinates should be ignored.

Three of the neighborhoods are named: Bevin, Seret, and Kirel. Kirel is the only one that is actually different; its layout is reversed, and it has a different lighting scheme and KI coordinates. Supposedly, Bevin was the first neighborhood that was restored by the DRC for explorer habitation, and (I'm not sure about this) Seret was the second. In practice, there are two main variations of the neighborhoods, which are the Bevin and Seret styles. The only difference between them is the lamp covers; Bevin style neighborhoods have a design called the Hand Tree on their lamps, and Seret style neighborhoods have a bee design on them.

Tiwah means shaft, and the formal name of Descent is regahro tiwah (The Great Shaft), which is regaro tiwa in D'ni characters. D'ni-x is a prefix added to a few places outside the normal territory occupied by the D'ni; the desert around the cleft is labeled "D'ni-riltagamin", which loosely translates as "unknown". The word tiwah can be found in a number of places at the bottom of the Shaft as monograms. There are four atop pillars, and the center of the main room has one. This can be seen in detail in Myst V.

Just to get the word out there, D'ni-Ae'gura is the name for Ae'gura Island, which is the proper name for the location most call "the city". It isn't. The actual D'ni city was a large concentration of buildings on the wall of the cavern directly across from the Arch of Kerath. The practice came about because "city" is found as the category in Nexus where Island links can be found. However, so is Kirel. That category was intended to also hold links to the real city had it been made. Ae'gura was the administrative and religious center of D'ni, and generally only the elite of D'ni society were allowed to go there. There was only one exception to that. King Kedri had a residential district named Shamathen built to house commoners who worked on the Island. This district was renamed after the abdication of King Kerath to honor him, and was called Kerath'en from that time forward.

At some point in D'ni history, they stopped calling Ae'gura that name, and simply referred to it as "the Island". In the message that is found on the Ferry Terminal, Kerath's Arch, the canyon mall, and inside the Great Library, that's how it is referred to: the message reads, "rebahntahno taineeehn shemtee", which means "the Island welcomes you", with "you" being in plural case.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Last edited by larryf58 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

larryf58 wrote:
the formal name of Descent is regahro tiwah (The Great Shaft), which is regaro tiwa in D'ni characters.

There shouldn't be a space in that.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:47 pm 

Ohhhh!!
Thank you for splendid information. :D :D :D

Tai'lahr wrote:
However, the change didn't apply to DRC neighborhoods.

Oh, I remembered it!!
It was "DRC Neighborhood".

Thank you very much Tai'lahr!! :o

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Grammatically, you're correct, Kath. But I'm following the convention used by Tweek when he designed his stained glass panel for the the Great Zero. His rendition has a space between the words. Since that was accepted as a contest winner by Cyan, I'm assuming that it's at least semi-official.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

And I'm going on all the canon publications. In my view, those have vastly more weight than one panel by Tweek, which was likely selected because it looked the best, not because it incorporated 100% perfect D'ni.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

If you go by technical grammatical structure, then garo should follow the noun with a space between them. Yet the only time I can think of off the top of my head when someone put garo after the noun is when Douglas Sharper named the giant insects of Teledahn buggaro, using an English word coupled with a D'ni word in D'ni word order.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

You're welcome, Chiro. Glad you got the answer you needed. :)

KathAveara wrote:
And I'm going on all the canon publications. In my view, those have vastly more weight than one panel by Tweek, which was likely selected because it looked the best, not because it incorporated 100% perfect D'ni.
You could have also pointed out that, ICly, it was accepted by the DRC who are quite knowledgeable about the language, but still are not D'ni. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

larryf58 wrote:
If you go by technical grammatical structure, then garo should follow the noun with a space between them. Yet the only time I can think of off the top of my head when someone put garo after the noun is when Douglas Sharper named the giant insects of Teledahn buggaro, using an English word coupled with a D'ni word in D'ni word order.

Well, no, because this kind of compound is actually the majority type (as I have just discovered).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:20 pm 

I found another "Neighborhood"!!
It was "The Fun House"!! :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:20 pm 

I've noticed that when we visit the Hood of Illusions (Stone's hood) during the Friday night Cavern Tours, the KI displays as "Neighborhood" instead of "Hood" or "Bevin."

Susa'n KI#1040105 (member Shorah gah bigtotee's Hood)
CT Hostess Susa'n KI#9122427 (member Cavern Tour's Hood)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next