It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:54 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:29 pm 

Subject; Avatars in the game with exact, duplicate names.
Being around the game for many years, I always thought that the use of duplicate names for separate avatars was not allowed. :?
Personally, I have no problem with it, but have heard privately that there are some peeps that object to this being allowed, for a number of reasons.
There are some avatar names in the game currently that are EXACT duplicates of each other, yet have different KI #'s.
(Same player with separate accounts doing the "twin" thing, I'm sure.)

In a worst case scenario, would this not allow for funky behavior by one "avvie" to be laid at the doorstep of another "avvie" with the exact same spelling of a given name? :twisted:

Just for the heck of it, I read the 'Naming Policy" of the EULA and did not see a clearly defined prohibition against this, but maybe I'm too thick too see it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:43 pm 

exact names may not be exact names. the use of a capital I and a lower case l will appear the same but actually be a different spelling. So before stating that there are exact names think about the possibilities.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:15 pm 

Thanks for the speedy reply and explaination, JayRho. :D
I knew there had to be some sort of a reason for the "appearance" of a duplication in avvie names.

As an aside, the last part of your reply comes across as a just a wee bit negative in possibly suggesting that I did not personally explore each and every possible combination of spelling before posting what was just a general question. Didn't intend to touch a nerve. A more polite way of saying the same thing would have been nice.
Thanks again for the reason for the confusion. I'll relay it to a few others who had the same question.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:26 am 

I have seen the same thing recently Zaphod22.
It isn't suppose to happen, but with the Bots
and other unknown "things" in the game, anything
would be possible.
Also, if toes are stepped on, then some will find a
reason to jump on it.
I just try to ignore such things before someone gets "upset".
Again, you are correct that no two names can be the same....unless......

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:10 am 

I apologize for seeming to be critical as that was no way my intention. I merely wanted to point out that sometimes what we see isn't really what we are seeing. Again my apologies.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:12 am 

No prob Jay Rho. No harm, no foul. :D
You are absolutely correct about the upper case I and the lower case L being almost perfectly identical. I never had noticed it before and that has answered a question of another matter for me.
I did a little experimentation myself with the in-game chat function and the difference is as you said, ever so slight as to be unnoticeable if one is not looking for it. :shock:
The only reason I posted the this thread is that a few days ago a fairly new player visiting the city noticed it and was very concerned about the possibility of griefing / troll type behavior and expressed a desire to quit the game all together rather than continue to finish the ages and I tried to assure her that this was probably not worth being concerned about.
Thanks again,
Cheers !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:16 am 

Buddy the 2 "duplicate" avatars...

You'll see right away who's messing with the code... :roll: :evil: :x

There's no mention in the EULA because normally you cannot create a 2nd avatar with the same exact name. You can try for yourselves.

Explorers should really explore something else... If you want to break into a Vault, play my marker quest: "Cracking the Vault" :lol: leave the game Vault alone!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

There aren't any duplicate names in the game... or at least none I've seen. In one case, a name that appears to have lower case LL in it is actually LL and 1L. The numeral 1 also looks like a lower case L in the game font.

Really, this is part of a recent tendency to make mountains out of molehills regarding it. People have been using two or more accounts for MO:UL pretty much since day one. It's not a rules violation, nor is it in any way reprehensible. I have a second account myself for an avatar that is a member of the Magic hood. There's no cheating involved; all you have to do is use a second computer and separate email address. Simultaneous movement is just manual dexterity on two different keyboards.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:22 pm 

larryf58 wrote:
Really, this is part of a recent tendency to make mountains out of molehills regarding it.

This reply suggests that you have NO idea whatsoever how the misusage can go far. In 1 minute from now, I can easily go in MOULa, and have myself walking around using this string: "larryf58" as my avatar's name. That's a real possibility. I'm just stating it!

Let's call them Avatar A and Avatar B. If Avatar B becomes Avatar A, there's always some way to tell that this "Avatar A" isn't really Avatar A but Avatar B in disguise. The KI number won't lie. That's why buddying explorers in that case makes sense, you'll know right away.

And if Avatar A (Avatar B in disguise) does some Vault modification (whether normal modifications or intended ones) then he/she steal the "property" of the genuine Avatar A assuming we "own" some part here (I know everything is Cyan's property... let's see that as an apartment rental versus landlord)

larryf58 wrote:
People have been using two or more accounts for MO:UL pretty much since day one. It's not a rules violation, nor is it in any way reprehensible. I have a second account myself for an avatar that is a member of the Magic hood. There's no cheating involved; all you have to do is use a second computer and separate email address. Simultaneous movement is just manual dexterity on two different keyboards.

I have got 4 full hands of accounts on MOULa. I cannot duplicate the name of my avatars. You are describing a whole other matter here. It can't explain why people seems to see duplicate names in the game. There's no way in normal usage to duplicate avatar's name.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:26 am 

Exactly what I was thinking, Annabelle.
I still think something is a bit fishy with these things.
Too much magic? Please, just don't mess with the vault.
Thanks for explaining everything about this.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]