It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: MOUL Walkthrough
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:24 am 

Well Season 1 is over and it definitely had its ups and downs, but overall it was nice to have Uru back alive with a lot of new and old faces here. I know there are some people out there that still may need help getting though some of the ages and there are others that may not have found some items. So I have created a walkthrough based on the released material from Season 1 of MOUL. This is mostly geared to help new explorers. Hopefully if there is a Second Season I can continue to add to this. Just a warning it is quite long, but there is also a lot of stuff to do in this game. I tried to make it as descriptive and short as possible. So for those of you who want it enjoy, for those of you who won't like it I am sorry. Any kind of opinions are greatly appreciated good or bad.

For your own downloadable version
http://www.mediafire.com/?2siqtgmaxg1

A big thank you to the CCN - Cavern Communications Network, the walkthrough will be posted online http://www.uruarchives.com/uruarchives/ ... hrough.pdf

Note this is in PDF format. So you will need Adobe Reader or Acrobat 5.0 or greater. I would have posted the Microsoft Word version, but the file is huge.

Last edited by J'ffrey on Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:55 am 

For some of us who are "time challenged" and haven't been able to really sink our teeth into MOUL the way we would like to during the first season, this is REALLY appreciated...thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:02 pm 

Really good! The only nit I'd pick is that it's not D'ni Bevin! It's a Neighborhood! :P

Otherwise this is very nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:24 pm 

Wow!
Good job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wow! This looks really complete! :D I haven't even had time to read through the whole thing, but it looks like you've got it covered. I love the way you can link around to follow the journey, but the text is organized "geographically." Ain't hypertext wonderful!

One thing I would love to see, if you have time, is a breakdown of those long paragraphs into "single item" size. We're lazy readers, most of us, and we're in a hurry when we read "instructions," so the longer a block of text is, the more likely we are to miss steps. (Something I learned long ago, writing instructional material and manuals.)

The other thing that would be helpful to new players is to place the illustrations near the related bits of text, especially if it's something they don't get to, or understand the significance of, until they've been in an Age for a while.

Great job!

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:10 pm 

Thank you everyone for the wonderful feedback so far. Glad to see people are finding it useful.

Kerryth: I ageree 100% and will definetly take this into consideration. I was actually thinking the same thing while I was creating this. I don't like to read long paragraphs either :). What I might do is have a short step single item version and the long text version to suit both types of readers; it would be really easy to do.. I was basically using a walkthrough format that I found for the Tomb Raider Games.

Whilyam: I struggled with Bevins vs Neighborhoods.

What I would like to know, is how to Hyperlink to the exact place in the walkthrough with Adobe. The document I use to create the walkthrough is in Microsoft Word 2003, covnerted to pdf. In the Microsoft Version the Hyperlinking leads directly to the place in the walkthrough, after conversion to pdf it just goes to the page. If anyone has any suggestions of an easy way to do this with the pdf format please feel free to offer suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

J'ffrey, I looked at the help file on Word 2003 for setting a hyperlink within the document, and what you need to do is place a bookmark where you want the link to go, then use the Insert menu to insert a hyperlink on the selected text elsewhere. I've never used this feature myself, but it's kind of cool. You'll be prompted for a location, it says. You can also link to headers. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:08 pm 

Kerryth wrote:
J'ffrey, I looked at the help file on Word 2003 for setting a hyperlink within the document, and what you need to do is place a bookmark where you want the link to go, then use the Insert menu to insert a hyperlink on the selected text elsewhere. I've never used this feature myself, but it's kind of cool. You'll be prompted for a location, it says. You can also link to headers. Good luck!

Thank you very much for finding that, but I was looking for how to do it in a PDF document. The Word Document I created it in does that to the specific point, but when it is converted to PDF is where the Hyperlinking onlys goes to the page. Again thanks for looking :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:36 am 

A very well written walkthrough.
I have though only one crit - some players just want hints and not a full walkthrough.
www.uhs-hints.com is a very good site for handing out hints, and the PoTS entry is out of date for what is in MOUL now.

Lian-Li PC-V1000 plus II case, 600W powersupply, Striker Extreme motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, nVidia 8800GTS 512, 2x1GB Corsair memory @ 800Mhz, 5.1 audio, wireless mouse, 200GB main hard disk.
Grogyan KI# 00793984 -> www.guildofwriters.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:38 pm 

Just to let everyone know I have put up a new version of the walkthrough. The link is in the first post of the thread. I have tried to make it a bit easier to follow by breaking most of the big paragraphs down into smaller steps and color coding things. Enjoy and Happy New Year.

To the mods: is there anyway I might get a Sticky on this thread. It might be helpful if new explorers are having difficulty to make it easier to find. Thanks if it is possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:11 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
J'ffrey wrote:
To the mods: is there anyway I might get a Sticky on this thread.

You don't need the thread stickied if you can get them to put a link in here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:17 am 

Ths thing is I will keep updating this walkthrough, which means I will have to upload a new file to mediafire and the link will constantly change. If they stickly the thread it will be easier to find since most people come here for spoilers anyhow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:15 am 
Obduction Backer

We'll do something to get people to notice it. It would be nice to have a link we could put in that thread, but it not, maybe I can put a link to this thread. Let me think about it and talk to the mod who usually does the walkthrough links.

It's an amazing walkthrough - so wonderful. I love it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:45 am 
Obduction Backer

If you could find a place to host it, wouldn't it be a good thing to have this walkthrough available in HTML form? That way you could update only the parts that change and not have to create a new PDF each time; the link to the walkthrough would be stable. Also the inside links would be much easier to set up, maintain and change.

Perhaps Guild of Greeters would be willing to host it on their site. :)

Thanks for all the hard work, J'ffrey!

Edit to add: If you don't know how to write HTML, I would be happy to help out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:58 am 
Obduction Backer

CCN - Cavern Communications Network is willing to host this walkthrough.
You can use this link

Last edited by veralun on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.