It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:07 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:19 am 

"Uru Basics for the computer novice" I like that. :D

Maybe Cyan/Turner are already rewriting the help system as we speak
to incorporate so much more we will see and new actions/interactions ect. :wink:
We already know they are changing to 'no start at the cleft' for one
and Greydragon said that the Havoc physics engine is being stripped out
so a whole new game with new errors for people I for-see. :(

I always liked the UO Library

But if your talking about pure technical help/info for people sounds like a good idea all conglomerated in one handy reference manual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:08 pm 

Cats does have a fantastic point...there have been lots of people who have gone through a lot of trouble on those sites...and one big manual could help so many people to just be able to go to one place to get their tech problems answered.

However, sometimes it can be a little intimidating to go to people you don't quite know for help...

If it's here, then I think those who are unfamiliar with the rest of the community have a fighting chance to get into it and meet people who can help them and get gently indoctrinated into the community as well.

Also, it'll give our friendly Cyantists a chance to have a first-hand look at the problems people are having since it would be right here in their own forums...

Y'all both have great points...thanks for considering my suggestion anyway.

KI: 839389

Last edited by Sh'aeri on Thu May 18, 2006 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well with the next djc update the walkthrough/hint guides will be rewritten to make it more user friendly which is nice.

I wonder if the "Getting started" guide will be published again, I still have the original from the beta site before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:17 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

So maybe one of the first 'new' things we need to implement is the DCoA - D'ni Council on Aging ?
( I'm more than half serious here. I'm in the lower end of the senior sector, but movin' up fast ) :shock: .

I have my favorites, where I go for tech assistance, but having it all bundled up in one spot sounds great provided it can be linked through from all the other locations. Having it (or at least having a variation of it) written in language that seniors and tech-challenged players can understand would be awesome!

I learned more in my time during beta than I had during the 3-4 years prior when I first got my computer. (very late starter :oops: ) We have some real 'puter wizards' in our community and they saved my can more than once. Having all of their knowledge, along with the help system we will most likely have from Cyan and/or Turner available in one easily accessible location would be of enormous help, IMO.

Might help end a lot of this------>Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:36 pm 

The GoG website, besides being beautifully designed, contained the most helpful, well-written KI instructions. "How do you send an invite??? How do I take a pic?" Of course it's old hat now, but when I was new - whew! Those instructions were a lifesaver.

Go GoG!!

susanszy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:51 pm 

I agree with you Susanszy about the Guild of Greeters documentation and fora. I've been on the journey for about 6 weeks now and keep their KI information at close at hand as I travel. Their members been very helpful answering my questions. They've made getting started on the journey much easier.

Lial

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:14 pm 

Another thing we really need to do is this info needs to be in other languages as well
for everyone across this great community that does not have English as a first language.
I know we have many many translators around perhaps they could get together at some
point and help when things are being worked out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:19 am 

Hi.

Uhm. Forgive my complete ignorance. I have no idea what I'm doing. Help! I would love to play uru live but don't know how?! Help!

can someone walk me through step by step.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:06 am 
Obduction Backer

Hi Ulysses. This
is the place to start. Please read it over and then come back with your questions. Once you are ready someone here will be happy to send you a key.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:02 am 
Obduction Backer

... Then read the how to guides on the KI and such here...

http://www.greetersguild.com/howto.shtml

Try the Downloads section also (link on the LEFT).

There are many more posts with excellent "How to get started.." links... Try Uru Obsession "Newbie Guide" here:

http://www.uruobsession.com/forum/index ... 35ecfd09d9

And have fun!

Dadguy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:43 pm 

Ok thanks folks!
I read the "this" link and even emailed as instructed. I also checked out daguy's links. Didn't much understand those.
Bear in mind that I just completed UrU single player (expansions included) but have not yet played any other MYST games. I just discovered MYST. As far as I know the online version is available for a limited time only though, so would like to get in on the action soon if possible. Are my concerns valid? Can I jump right in? Any advice will be humbly accepted.

Thanx again
Ulysses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:21 pm 

Well, hopefully Uru Live will be lasting for a very long time indeed, but it won't start until sometime later this year. What links have been given to you are actually for Until Uru, which has very similar content to Uru Ages Beyond Myst as well as To D'ni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:00 am 

Ulysses,

First, welcome to the community. I was just where you are now when I got Uru for Christmas of 2002...I had just played the original Myst, then got and finished the single player part of Uru just in time to be accepted to join the Prologue open beta. I had never touched another Myst game before, other than the original Myst, so I was feeling pretty lost when I got into Prologue. Don't think you are alone on your Journey of discovery, this community is fantastic about helping people that are new. One of our dear friends, Pepsi, helped to pick me up and dust me off. She spent lots of time with me to help me understand the world I had just joined, I'm just paying it forward to you. There are some great people here that will help you along as well. Please don't ever be afraid to ask for help. There is never a shortage of helping hands here.

Now that you're here, some things that you might want to know that helped me.

First, D'ni numbering is a Base 25 number system, I found a great illustration of the numbers at this website: http://users.owt.com/leelan/web/Riven/numbers.htm. If you ever do decide to get Riven, there is a fantastic little teaching tool in one of the ages that will help you get to know the numeric system.

Also, Leelan did an awesome job of the alphabet as well: http://users.owt.com/leelan/web/Riven/rivnidx.htm

There are lots of places that nice folks have put together things about the D'ni Alpha-Numeric systems...one of the best places I could think to point you, if you are interested in getting more in depth with the language aspect of the Myst Series, you should go see the Guild of Linguists. Their materials can help you out enormously.

I had to do a lot of catch-up learning between the time Prologue closed up to the moment Until Uru began...and you've got all the time in the world to enjoy the other Myst Games as we all get excited for the Rebirth of Uru Live, so I highly recommend picking up the Myst 10th Anniversary Edition, it will help you fill in the gaps in the story and by then you'll probably be a junkie like the rest of us, so you'll want Myst 4 and Myst 5, but just doing the catch up learning in Myst, Riven and Exile helped me out a ton, and it made me feel a lot better knowing what people were talking about. Simply, the background knowledge and skills (and patterns) that you pick up and learn will help you greatly as we all step together into the New Uru Live.

Also, if you need game help, posting here will always get you a fairly quick answer, or you can find walkthroughs on numerous sites like http://www.guildofgreeters.com or http://uruobsession.com.

Most of all, please do not feel you are alone on your journey, as I said, I started out right where you are, not knowing much about this wonderful world, and you have joined the company of some great folks...

OK, Until Uru...here we go...the instructions are located here: http://plasma.cyanworlds.com/getting-started.xml They are easy to follow instructions. Remember, any one of us can get you an invite, (which I believe is quicker than requesting one from the site, but don't quote me, I could be wrong) but we'd need your e-mail address to get it to you. So the option is yours...just make sure, if you want one of us to send you the invite, make sure you PM us, we don't need real e-mail addresses floating around in the forums... :wink:

Our server system are known as "Shards". The Official Cyan Shard is called D'mala. You can access the shards when you install and get your invite to Until Uru. (My best advice to give you is to do a fresh install of Uru somewhere other than the same directory as your single player game so you can go back and enjoy the single-player portion whenever you'd like.)

So again, Welcome to the Community...may your time with us be filled with wonder, joy and happiness.

Shorah! (Which means "Peace" in D'ni.)

KI: 839389

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:42 am 

Whatever the status of the Greeters will be... I just hope there will be the ability to use voice over the internet again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:31 pm 

Ok thanks, I think I pm'ed you. You folks are great! The only other on-line community I know of is pokerstars. Let me tell you it ain't this nice! Oh and by the way I did buy the entire series. From Myst to End of Ages. So it might be a while before I hop on. We'll see. Any way I'll stay out of the way of your regular discussion now that one of you has my e-mail. World doesn't revolve around me... At least I hope it doesn't cause if it does, then we're all screwed! ;)

Thanx again
Ulysses.

P.S: I'll keep watching this discussion in case my adress didn't work or something like that.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next