It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:41 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:32 pm 

I sometimes wonder too much about things, I know...

But as far as I know D'ni Ae'gura has only one instance that is not connected with the Neighborhoods, is that right?

However when you look in the telescope of any Nieghborhood out over the water you see D'ni Ae'gura with the blue lights of the ferry terminal at the bottom, the great stairs above and Great Zero flashing at the top, the the library out to the right. Increasing gamma will help. What instance of the city are we seeing here?
:?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Technically, as far as the story of Uru goes, there is only 1 instance of the city, of course. The only reason there are instances of the city in the game is due to server load. So you are seeing the one and only Ae'gura.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:45 pm 

If you want to be really technical, you're just looking at a painted texture that's in the same instance you're in, not a different instance or anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:49 pm 

S_Brennan wrote:
If you want to be really technical, you're just looking at a painted texture that's in the same instance you're in, not a different instance or anything.

Yes of cause, but I meant in relation to the story. This should not be possible unless the telescope can see through different ages.

Edit: It must be a XIT - a Cross Instance Telescope :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:42 pm 

The City and the hood are really the same Age. As is the Cleft and any balconies you get to in the hood or the City, as is the spyroom and the Barons office you get to through the link in the fishtank in Teledahn.

They are all on Earth.

Storywise, you are looking at the City, Ae'gura. The same one you get to through the link from the Nexus that says "Ferry Terminal"

This is also the same place that all City balcony links "really" are located. The same for the Baron's City office (from Tele) and the Spyroom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've looked into that scope many times, but had no idea I was looking at Ae'gura. I couldn't pick out the docks or anything. I always thought the Hood might be somewhere in the cavern, but I didn't know where. Shouldn't the Arch be visible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rik wrote:
I've looked into that scope many times, but had no idea I was looking at Ae'gura. I couldn't pick out the docks or anything. I always thought the Hood might be somewhere in the cavern, but I didn't know where. Shouldn't the Arch be visible?

The Arch is visible -- it's the large dark object obscuring part of your view.

As for where the hood is in relation to the Cavern...
The area labelled "H1" is supposed to be Bevin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:54 pm 

Rik wrote:
I couldn't pick out the docks or anything. I always thought the Hood might be somewhere in the cavern, but I didn't know where. Shouldn't the Arch be visible?

It is. The Arch is blocking the view on the whole left side of the scope. The scope is looking right at the bottom of the Great Stair, and you should easily be able to see the blue lights of the Ferry Terminal, the front of the Concert Hall, and the golden glow from the Library on the right.

The scope view can be moved a little -- horizontally and vertically -- by dragging with the right mouse button.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:57 pm 

Whilyam wrote:
Storywise, you are looking at the City, Ae'gura. The same one you get to through the link from the Nexus that says "Ferry Terminal"

Okay let's turn it the other way round then: Supposed there was a telescope at the ferry terminal that could look the other way against the Hood. Which one would you see? Town Hall, GoG, DRC37, DRC41...?

BTW I have not been the the mirror hood (Kiel.. sorry forgot its name) in UU - Wonder if the city is also mirrored there...

Rik I have wondered about the same thing, I think the Arch is in the dark area below.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, Kirel isn't in UU. The only hood we've ever been in in UU is the Bevin design.

As for the issue of duplicate hoods, it's an odd one. All the hoods have the exact same appearance, and when marker hunting, they all have the same coordinates in space. However, I sense that this is just one of those things that they don't want us to think too much about -- much like how we each have instances of our Ages. :) I suspect that in the future, we'll get the chance to customize our hoods and get different areas in the Cavern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:10 pm 

Yes I was aware this could be sensitive (inexplainable), that's why I started with:
Quote:
I sometimes wonder too much about things, I know...

Thanks for clarifying Gadren.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:40 am 
Obduction Backer

What would be great is if they could eventually work with a 'grid' of neighborhood locations around the cavern perimeter, and assign each new hood to unique coordinates. Of course they'd have to use different telescope views for each hood, but that could be done with snapshots taken from a prerendered cavern instance. Of course, it would make the number of hoods finite, so perhaps it's not such a good idea. It would add to the realism though.

Ah, what fun it is to muse on the possibilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:04 am 

astro wrote:
Rik I have wondered about the same thing, I think the Arch is in the dark area below.

Here's what you should see through the scope, brightened a bit and labeled for convenience:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:55 am 
Obduction Backer

Wow! That's an amazing picture! Thanks so much for posting that. Really cool. Looking forward to looking into the scope again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:26 am 

S_Brennan wrote:

I remember in prologue them being so detailed as to have tiny pinpoints of moving light that you could watch move if you sat patient long enough.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next