It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Awww...No more Sharper?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:53 am 

I just got back from Sharpers' office intending to read his notebook once more, but much to my surprise, the only words in it were: "I'm an empty notebook" Do you think this means no more Sharper? I can understand that there are no longer any DRC members wandering around, but at least they had a history - they were there, once. To retroactively erase the existance of one of the most popular characters is, in my opinion, a shame ... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:12 am 

It's a bug. Though it wouldn't be beyond that snarky fellow to replace his journal with that as a prank to keep explorers from spying on him :P

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:00 am 

I wonder when it will be fixed- it's very important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I don't believe it's a bug. IC, when someone publicly asked Sharper when he was going to write something new in his journals, he expressed shock at hearing that people had been reading them and never wrote in them again after that. So, it stands to reason to assume that Cyan stayed with the IC reasoning and had Sharper take his journals with him when he left.

But, the fact that the text says, "I'm an empty notebook" seems to leave room for something new down the line.

Fortunately, some sneaky explorers wrote down everything they read and posted it at Guild of Greeters - Uru Notebooks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:59 pm 

If it's indeed not a bug... with all respect to IC story, this is purely crazy! Sharper's journey containes tons of story, important story! characters, ages, events, puzzle hints! I don't believe they took such an important book because of IC reasons. This would be crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:32 pm 

I just assumed they left stuff like that out for the next season?

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sharper's journal, or contents of it at least, is stored in the vault. Cyan just forgot to put it back in when they brought up these servers.. and since it's a few people on their spare time working on it it's probably low priority. Thankfully the servers aren't going up in flames nightly anymore, but it's probably still lower on the totem pole.

However.. there HAVE been bahro sightings in the city, so if they're not doing plot, they're having fun with variables (like triggering animations, or controlling individual bahro avatars themselves) so we may get more plot than none. Those of us who were in D'mala would have an idea what that could be like... although then there was a chance of a lead-in to commercial venture (and did with MOUL). But, it wouldn't surprise me if Cyan was going to replace the journal with modifications to account for MOUL's events and lead-off from that... right in time for Sharper himself to wander as another explorer. For a time.

Story doesn't mean we need new ages or new 'content' after all... :wink:

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:45 pm 

I still think they should get the journal back AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. It's very important to the game's world. Without this journal, players may would barely know who is anything which happened around 2003. That... would be BAD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:55 pm 

sharper's journal was always a fun read, but it's really not that essential anymore except from a historical standpoint. i'm sure cyan will get around to putting it back one of these days. i miss sharper. he was always good for stirring up trouble. :) maybe he'll pop back down one of these days to visit shroomie. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:21 pm 

I hope Sharper or somebody does show up to write in the book. i've always enjoyed the music in that office, and i would check up from time to time if anything new was written while i listen to the tune. Even if its the usual "Go Patriots" babbling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:28 pm 

Quote:
sharper's journal was always a fun read, but it's really not that essential anymore except from a historical standpoint.

It provides story, and lot's of it. Probably the greatest documentation of history in the game. And since the most important thing in this games is story, than I would say they need to get the journal back as soon as possible. It may not be very important to you, but what about new players? it won't be very much fun to play without knowing who is sharper, who is watson, what's the history of teledahn, who is zandi, what's the uru, what happened to phil and so on (and even less important stuff like minor characters or future ages hints). I mean, it's a Myst game! we can't compromise on the story!

(well a myst spinoff, but same idea)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:58 am 

If for nothing more than the hysterical record, Sharper's journal should be returned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:12 am 

If nothing else, to provide the new people with answers to questions like 'What's with that cubbyhole in Teledahn', 'What's with that spy room', 'Who's this Phil guy who's Relto I end up in', and 'Waah, why can't I get all those books like that Phil guy has, and where did he get that nice nighttime sky page for his Relto???' ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:22 pm 

Late to the party, but look at how tall the characters are...it's obviously placeholder text. Not a bug; they just haven't uploaded anything yet. Be happy to have seen this bit "under the hood" of Uru. It will be interesting to see how far the new journal updates...I don't know if he was at it the whole time the game was on GT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:57 pm 

But how players will know who is Zandi? and Sutherland, and Kodama, and Laxmen, and Nick, and Sharper, and Engberg? and Tweek, and Brian Fioca? and Cate? and Sam? and Sonya, and Simpson? and Hinahsh, Ventus, and Manesmo? how will they know about Rebek? how will they know about the DRC experience with ahnonay? how will they know about Watson's work in the DRC? and about the things which happened to Phil before his "death"? how will they know what has Sharper been doing before he came to the DRC, and what football team he likes? how will they know about the Uru? how will they know about the history of the KI restoration? about the phases of approval in the DRC? how will they know why there are prisons in Teledahn? and who were enslaved there? and why is the Bahro stone behind the crates? and what is shroomie? and what are the names of the animals of Teledahn? and what's the history of Rand and Robyn with the cavern? how will they know the cavern was shut down? how will they know about the history of the history of Teledahn, and the history of it's restoration? how will they know about The Great Tree (pub *and* group)? how will they know about the DRC over-caution? about Yeesha's involvement with the DRC? about Negilahn and the predetor problem at Teledahn? and about Nick being kicked out?

So, now you are probebly thinking:

1. "Some of these things aren't important! who cares what football team Sharper likes?!"... well yes, it's not very important, but it already there and added to the atmophere, why taking it out?

2. "They could just ask people in the cavern about these things"... the problem is that they will probably never see a hint of many of these things (like Negilahn predetor), so they will have nothing to ask. Besides, there are many other things to ask explorers (unwritten things), why add things which you could already find through a nice journal?

3. "They can find out about many of these things, like who is Watson and why there are prisons in Teledahn, later on/in other places in the game"... true, but 2 problems: with things like Watson, they may find out about it if they go to the Eder Tomahn before they read the journal. But how much it tells them about his work with the DRC? not much. That's why I wrote "Watson's work with the DRC" and not "who is Watson". The second problem is what things like why there are prisons, the age would seem amazingly dull (they find out about it only at Yeesha's speech, at the very end of the age). Besides, Yeesha doesn't tell a lot about the prisons.

They don't need to delete a journal with tons of IMPORTANT information just to write new things.