It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:19 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Free Players?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:00 am 

In the Uru Live Support sytem on the front page I came across this.
Does that mean there will be the ability to play a small part of the game for free?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:53 am 

Yep. Basically, a 'trial' of Uru Live. Bring your friends, and get them hooked. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:53 am 
Obduction Backer

Yes... but you're confined to relto (?) and hood. There's a Randomos post / FAQ about it, but I can't remember where. It's a teaser if you like, to encourage you to pay for the full thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Visitors will only be able to visit public neighborhoods, a few parts of the city, and part of one Age at launch. Vistors also have limited clothing options, fewer avatar customization options, and only a few personal Age modifications available to them, but the biggest limitation is not being able to access the new Ages (areas) as they are released.

From: http://support.urulive.com/faq.php?do=a ... ticleid=48

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:01 pm 

Free gameplay? I like that, especially when I don't really have time to get what I pay for, being a student with exams and all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:00 pm 

you are most likely be able to play the same things as in UU (but maybe without Aegura?)

MMORPG trials are becoming very popular, as are the MMORPG themselves, it just makes sense to have a trial for URU. But that would mean that you wouldn't need Gametap for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Visitors will only be able to visit public neighborhoods, a few parts of the city, and part of one Age at launch.

I think this is both a clever strategy and a lovely gesture on the part of Cyan/Gametap.

From a marketing perspective, this is quite different from most MMORPG's offering limited trials that only allow the briefest "taste" of the game after which access is prevented. The Cyan/Gametap strategy offers new players a sustained experience that allows for time to make friends and develop community - one of the most significant joys of the game and one of the best incentives for anyone to decide to commit to subscribing.

Secondly, the strategy quite compassionately takes into account the fact that many Uru players are on a limited budget and may not be able to immediately afford the cost of ongoing subscription. Quite a few long-time devotees have expressed this concern. The "free zone" concept means that community ties need not be lost because someone may not be in a postition to subscribe immediately. You will have access to all the initial areas where the community congregates - the public hoods, parts of the city and parts of one age.

I am assuming too that, if you subcribe and then are unable to continue subscription, the free zone will continue to be available to you. This means that no-one need drop off the radar during difficult times - times when we may possibly need each other most.

I know that such deeper social concerns are not the purview of a business venture such as this one, and that is what makes the notion of a sustained free zone such a thing of beauty and a manifestation of what makes Cyan such a rare bird in the first place.

nerf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

crrash wrote:
you are most likely be able to play the same things as in UU (but maybe without Aegura?)

While that sounds like a nice guess, the official word seems to suggest that the free Uru Live access will be more limited than UU (though with the introduction of more games to the neighborhoods, it could also offer content not available in UU). UU gives players access to five playable ages (not including Ae'gura, Neighborhoods & Nexus), while the official word says that free Live players will have access to "public neighborhoods, a few parts of the city, and part of one Age." (We may also assume Relto will be available because "personal Age modifications" are mentioned.)

Also note that while the Until Uru authentication server may continue operating beyond the opening of Uru Live, Cyan has not indicated whether the D'mala shard will continue to run. If D'mala is shut down, then only players with Kagi Keys would be able to continue playing Until Uru. I don't know what Cyan is planning; I'm only pointing out potential consequences. Cyan has, however, indicated that no more Kagi Keys will be made available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:12 pm 

I'm guessing the part of one Age is Gahreesen (To get the KI).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:12 pm 

i know what the official word is, but it just makes sense to let people at least try the first journey, but it seems cyan will only let people do the hchatting part (being th age bit as www2 pointed out Gahreesen to get the KI)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
i know what the official word is, but it just makes sense to let people at least try the first journey,

Two things - First, we don't even know if "yeesha's journey" will be the first stage of Uru Live this time around, do we?

Second, having a free zone that is always available doesn't preclude Cyan/Gametap from periodically offering limited-time teasers to the intitial part of the game as well, especially if interest begins to flag later on and/or as the game story develops more deeply (fingers crossed) and more an more ages (toes crossed) are added.

nerf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nyrphame wrote:
Having a free zone that is always available doesn't preclude Cyan/Gametap from periodically offering limited-time teasers to the intitial part of the game as well.

Definitely true! We don't know what they may do... but it's pretty obvious that Cyan left the proverbial door open when they added the words "at launch" to the end of their description of the free content.

They could also shrink the free content too, but I doubt that's likely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:23 am 

Marten wrote:
They could also shrink the free content too,

Maybe the visitors will be restricted to the 'hood balcony. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:46 am 

www2 wrote:
Maybe the visitors will be restricted to the 'hood balcony. :P

"hey those guys are doing something down there... seems like their meeting. Hey Joe, do you have a better view?"
"seems like two are hugging"
"can't be the girl has red stuff on him. I think its blood"
"no thats her multi-colored shirt"
"hey, they are going away, don't go! darn now we're alone again"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:56 am 

Hey Newbie wanna learn the way to get down there ?
Newbie "Sure"
Come over here it's called the 'hood balcony jump"
the way to do it is ............

lololol sorry just remembering the fun of this jump. :oops:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next