It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:51 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nyrphame wrote:
Second, having a free zone that is always available doesn't preclude Cyan/Gametap from periodically offering limited-time teasers to the intitial part of the game

A few of us were talking an occasional D'ni style Carnival/Faire, that would have games and fun stuff to do, maybe even games that were teasers for paid Ages.

Me, I think the free thing is absolutely brilliant. Come try this cool game, and get to socialize, for an unlimited time, without having to buy a thing.

And, we've been told that it starts in a different place, so we have no idea how, or if, Yeesha's original journey is even going to be a factor in the new Live.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think that it is very important that it is made clear that the free player (visitor) option is not a viable way to play the game, that all they are doing is visiting. The limitations should be made clear.

My concern is that people will see the option and think, "Hey! They have a free option. I can live without all the extra goodies if it means I won't have do drop $10 every month!"

They think that and then realize that the game is unplayable/uncompleteable, and they feel as if they have been tricked or jipped, and are angry.

It should be made clear that it is only a demo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
It should be made clear that it is only a demo

Good point, but somehow I already know when something is offered to me for free that I get what I pay for. :)

Still, a big, gnarly disclaimer never hurt anyone. :) :)

nerf.

Post subject: still liek the idea
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:00 am 

but hwoever i will keep playign ththe litied verison(Freebie) and styign inhte limite age!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:56 am 
Obduction Backer

Sometimes you really get a good deal when something is free, and it's worth your while. The people playing Guild Wars appear to be pretty happy with playing the game for no monthly fee, though you do have to buy them game. On free stuff that I use, I find that the free instant messaging clients that I use - they work quite well for me.

I expect the free part of Uru Live to look good, and be bug free, and be a lovely view into a whole new world, with the ability to socialize with people, online. I expect it to be a wonderful and high quality experience. Hopefully, it will make you want more, which is why you'd sign up for the whole big Uru Live. I suspect that if GameTap and Cyan discover that's not happening - that enought people aren't using the free thing as a trial for the full version - then I expect that the free version would be discontinued. We'll have to see, won't we? People have said for years that if they could get their friends to try an online version of Uru, without paying for it at first, then they could get their friends interested in subscribing to the game. That's the idea, that's the marketing attempt, that's the experiment. I think it's a lovely approach, and certainly worth a try.

Companies have different ways of marketing and paying for "free stuff" and they publish stuff free to the consumer for a reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:51 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
People have said for years that if they could get their friends to try an online version of Uru, without paying for it at first, then they could get their friends interested in subscribing to the game. That's the idea, that's the marketing attempt, that's the experiment. I think it's a lovely approach, and certainly worth a try.

Companies have different ways of marketing and paying for "free stuff" and they publish stuff free to the consumer for a reason.

Yep, I think my earlier post said much the same thing.

I completely understand the marketing concepts behind the idea. This was not the issue. I was responding to the poster above me who was concerned that new users would have great expectations of the free zone for Uru Live - My point was that I don't think this will be much of a concern since it will be pretty clear that there IS a paid portion of Uru Live where ongoing developments are taking place. If you want them, you will have to pay for them.

Guild Wars, although a great game, is not a good comparison as it functions on an entirely different business model where no such free/paid distinction exists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:26 pm 
Cyan Employee

crrash wrote:
you are most likely be able to play the same things as in UU (but maybe without Aegura?)

No you will not.

crrash wrote:
MMORPG trials are becoming very popular, as are the MMORPG themselves, it just makes sense to have a trial for URU. But that would mean that you wouldn't need Gametap for it.

I dislike the word trial as it presumes that there will be a time period.

You can play as a visitor as long as you like, but it’s really just a small taste of the game. You will see people with cooler clothing, you will see pictures of ages and will hear the cool stories you as explorers tell. We hope that those items and others are enough for someone to move from a Visitor to become an Explorer.

Post subject: i love it!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:57 pm 

yeah sounds cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for clarifying, greydragon.

I do think it is a great idea for any number of reasons.

nerf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:43 am 

Best news I've heard since the resurrection of Live.
As has been already been said it will allow people who find themselves unable to make the subs able keep in touch and connected so that when they can resume payments there still aroundf to do so.
We all know that if we can get new people into the Cavern theres a good chance Uru will work the same magic on them as it has on us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

It is s nice idea, isn't it? I might even be able to get a person or two to wander by, to see what Uru live is all about, and hopefully (the whole purpose of the thing) subscribe!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2