It is currently Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:39 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:34 am 

Third avatar just made it to the Tetsonot portal just gone after my PC decided to restart on me. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:25 pm 

Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
SCGreyWolf wrote:
IngisKahn wrote:
Texana wrote:
It is not fun, nor is it practical, to sit in a pod until the portal appears and then move along the progression path to get all four of the portals.

That's not how you're supposed to solve it.

Explain to me how to solve the pod age without calcucating the times based on the map and Payiferen then. What difference does it make if you use a caluclator, an abacus, or a pencil and paper?

Um, that is how you're supposed to solve it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

IngisKahn wrote:
SCGreyWolf wrote:
IngisKahn wrote:
Texana wrote:
It is not fun, nor is it practical, to sit in a pod until the portal appears and then move along the progression path to get all four of the portals.

Explain to me how to solve the pod age without calcucating the times based on the map and Payiferen then. What difference does it make if you use a caluclator, an abacus, or a pencil and paper?

:?: With an abacus? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mirage wrote:
[..]
I don't want to drag this think out too far, but it seems to me, with Sharper runiing around again, Rils, and others, it would be easy enough to leave a note somewhere in game saying something like... "New age discovered. Very little information at this time. Strange day/night cycles. Can't seem to find an exit. Must investigate more when I have time".

That alone would point people in the right direction. But they don't do that. [..]

Hm. I think they do.
Happend on Friday, 20. An explorer (darkstar) came to our hood (NULP's Bevin) and asked us "did you see Nick said the DRC has found a new age".
We were too excited so forgot to start a log, but i re-type this from a randomly made screenshot.
We asked "do you mean Tetsonot" and he said "No, not Tetsonot. A new age."
Other things he said: "no details but exciting" and
"he (Nick) was in Cavern last night said the calibration is going well and that Laxman was happy".

I think this is the kind of information spreading you mean and would prefer, Mirage. I would prefer this too, and fortunatelly it really happend.
Of course i think it's difficult for cyan employees (IC:DRC) to meet each explorer to tell as well as find a group of explorers who are willing to spread such infos, but sometimes it really seems to work out.

I for myself prefer to pass on such statements In Cavern (and will do), but couldn't resist to post it additionally here just to let you know that i think they already do point people in the right direction - stupidly it seems the radiotraffic between explorers doesn't work as expected.

peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:16 pm 

IngisKahn wrote:
SCGreyWolf wrote:
IngisKahn wrote:
Texana wrote:

Then why did you say it wasn't? Just because someone else let you borrow their calculator doesn't make it the wrong answer.

Post subject: HELP!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:40 pm 

I am not so good with these times and the calculator.
Can someone explain for me, RE: the Portal Calculator, what it means by "Local Time?" Who's local time? Is this calculator calibrating to MY local time? And if my time is -5GMT, which is EDT, and the next time given today is
[spoiler]21:05 UTC -4[/spoiler]
how do I calculate that for my time?
Do I add or subtract an hour?
And,
[spoiler]if it is 16:05, whether I've done the math correctly or not, is 16:05 going to be 4:05 PM, my time?[/spoiler]
I have a hard time with the 24 hour clock or military time.
Help!

You imitate the best. . .
the rest you memorize . . . .

Post subject: Re: HELP!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:59 pm 

Location: In the dark, behind you. With the glowsticks in my nose.
Lule wrote:
I am not so good with these times and the calculator.
Can someone explain for me, RE: the Portal Calculator, what it means by "Local Time?" Who's local time? Is this calculator calibrating to MY local time? And if my time is -5GMT, which is EDT, and the next time given today is
[spoiler]21:05 UTC -4[/spoiler]
how do I calculate that for my time?
Do I add or subtract an hour?
And,
[spoiler]if it is 16:05, whether I've done the math correctly or not, is 16:05 going to be 4:05 PM, my time?[/spoiler]
Help!

This program references itself to your current system clock.
It is your local time based on the accurate clock time of your computer DST and all. If you are in a timezone that observes DST, windows will automatically change your system time to reflect DST in your timezone - thus setting your UTC offset back or forward the hour as needed (as long as you checked off the box when you set your timezone). If your clock is not set right, there is nothing that can be done about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:11 pm 

tachzusamm wrote:

Hm. I think they do.
Happend on Friday, 20. An explorer (darkstar) came to our hood (NULP's Bevin) and asked us "did you see Nick said the DRC has found a new age".
We were too excited so forgot to start a log, but i re-type this from a randomly made screenshot.
We asked "do you mean Tetsonot" and he said "No, not Tetsonot. A new age."
Other things he said: "no details but exciting" and
"he (Nick) was in Cavern last night said the calibration is going well and that Laxman was happy".

I think this is the kind of information spreading you mean and would prefer, Mirage. I would prefer this too, and fortunatelly it really happend.
Of course i think it's difficult for cyan employees (IC:DRC) to meet each explorer to tell as well as find a group of explorers who are willing to spread such infos, but sometimes it really seems to work out.

I for myself prefer to pass on such statements In Cavern (and will do), but couldn't resist to post it additionally here just to let you know that i think they already do point people in the right direction - stupidly it seems the radiotraffic between explorers doesn't work as expected.

peace.

I agree 100%. And that would have been great news, if I heard it before I posted. But my point is, I know that some employees do show up, drop hints, etc. And I am very understanding that they can't be everywhere all the time and talk to everybody, that's just impossible. Then you have the problem with people passing dis-information, or an enhanced version of what was said, etc. But they could leave a note somewhere, for everyone to discover. Perhaps in a journal (Sharpers maybe) or just on a scrap of paper left on a table somewhere. That sort of thing.

Thanks for the input!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:20 pm 

Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
SCGreyWolf wrote:
IngisKahn wrote:
SCGreyWolf wrote:
IngisKahn wrote:
Texana wrote:

Then why did you say it wasn't? Just because someone else let you borrow their calculator doesn't make it the wrong answer.

Where did I say that? If you want to lookup the portal times or the code to the Kadish vault online then so be it, if you want to wait in each pod for a zik day or enter every combination into the Kadish vault then great. But that is different from using the clues provided to solve the puzzle.

Lule wrote:
And if my time is -5GMT, which is EDT...

Um, EDT is is GMT-4 :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mirage wrote:
[..] But they could leave a note somewhere, for everyone to discover. Perhaps in a journal (Sharpers maybe) or just on a scrap of paper left on a table somewhere. That sort of thing.

You're right! That would be much better, particularly to avoid such "enhanced versions" *g*
Nothing happened in Sharper's journal since weeks now :-(
By the way, there are so many DRC(xxxx) hoods ... a real DRC hood with an imager for such stuff would be a solution which maybe welcomed by most explorers in my opinion. Could contain some announcements, a newsletter (yeah!) or some kind of unsharp detail photos from undiscovered ages...

*dreaming*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:35 pm 

Lule;
Quote:
Help!

It's easy. Any number greater than 12, subtract 12 and put PM after it.
IE; 15:00 minus 12 = 3PM

12:05 minus 12 = 00:05PM or 5 minutes after Noon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

I can't get this program to work either. I try to run it and it gives me an error message saying that,

Quote:
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application.

Is this a vista program or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

quahog42 wrote:
So if there is no repercussion for doing something illegal, then it's okay to do it?

It's not illegal. It's not even ethically questionable. It's perfectly correct socially responsible behavior.

Quote:
I'll agree that calculator programs fall into a fuzzy area of legal authority. That's no reason to dismiss Cyan's legal rights.

Cyan has no legal rights here, and this is not a fuzzy area of legal authority. It is clear and simple.

I'm assuming a bit here, but it seems as though everyone who has ever used Napster or read a blog suddenly thinks they're an expert on Intellectual Property law. Sheesh!

fchall wrote:
It's easy. Any number greater than 12, subtract 12 and put PM after it.
{...}
12:05 minus 12 = 00:05PM or 5 minutes after Noon

No, 00:05 equals 5 minutes after midnight.

You're right about your "minus 12, add PM" rule, but "12" is not a number greater than "12" :lol: So 12:05hrs equals 12:05 PM.

Post subject: Okay
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:03 pm 

IngisKahn wrote:
Quote:
Um, EDT is is GMT-4 :D

Not with Daylight Savings; my computer's clock which gives me this:
says my time is -5 GMT as see in the pix.

Um . . . someone is whisling in my Terrorod Pod!
And very badly, too! :shock:

Five more minutes to see if I am correct!

And thanks Overdrive & et al for your help!

Post subject: PS:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:06 pm 

The way I figure out the 24 hour clock is to count from 13:00, which I know is 1:00 PM on my fingers and then, knowing my pinkie is "1" when I get to that certain time I'm trying to understand I can count the PM hours by looking at my fingers.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next