It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:38 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:17 pm 

Reverend Vader wrote:
Also of interest...

During the Town Hall meetings, Cyan indicated that past "episodes" and/or "occurences" will be available (and playable?) via books in the Library.

This seems to indicate that if anyone misses a significant event... or if something drastic permanently changes in an area such as the Cavern... we will have the opportunity to revisit (a bit like time-travel?!) those events.

So, someone who joins Uru Live "later in the game" will have the Library as a resource to catch up on what has happened.

Maybe this could be done by having it record what the live characters do and say when something important happens and you could 'replay' it in a viewer.

On the topic of having live as opposed to scripted characters, I think it's a great idea, because then the actual players would affect the way the story unfolds. Maybe if you had a combination of both, the AI characters could report what players said to them while conversing and then the authors could take it into account when deciding what should happen next. (Like spies, only not in a bad sense.) ex:

AI: "I believe that the only path to the return of D'ni lies in regaining our superiority."

Player: "I think Yeesha was correct and hubris brought about the fall."

AI scans for keywords and reports back:
Yeesha (or Veovis, etc.), hubris (instead of hatred, etc)

What do y'all think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

I really do love the idea of live actors playing in game characters. I think that's just the coolest thing. Has anyone even done that sort of thing before on this scale? I've been in NWN roleplay servers where they did something similar, and it was really neat. Makes you feel like you're talking to a celebrity, you know? Someone really important. Plus, the game becomes so much more immersive when there's a real person talking to you rather than a bot. I know that means more money for actors, but it really is just about the coolest thing you can do in an MMO, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:35 am 
Obduction Backer

Yes, Searu. Warner, before Sony bought Matirx Online from them as part of a larger deal, used live actors in game as part of special "events".
A player had a chance of meeting Niobe, Seraph, Morpheus, and Persephone.
Perhaps others. Sony may have continued that, but I am not sure.

You are right, when one appeared, they were quickly mobbed by the online players. It was hard to keep everyone at a distance so all could see and hear the conversations.

They always caused lots of excitement in the game whenever one of them made an appearance.

But then, Laxman, RAWA, and Phil had been making their appearances way before that.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:11 am 
Obduction Backer

I only attended one of the "celebrity" events (which was in MxO) because the lag and chat was overwhelming - probably like being around a movie star is... I personally prefer to just read about what was said and continue my gaming experience, but then I am not as much of an RP person as some are. I think it is wonderful when people get the chance to experience something ingame that they really like and having real people play the 'stars' that they have heard about can give quite the thrill in that scenerio.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2