It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:16 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:57 pm 

Shorah everybody!

After experimenting with the new Uru Live, I put together this guide with the help of the people listed at the very bottom of this post.

Here are the most important points you might want to take into account as a beta tester. Note: Most of them are just rules of thumb.

First of all here's a short index:
  • Current issues
  • Don't create another and another and another topic if there is already a topic concerning your problem
  • It's a beta after all - don't get annoyed by bugs or other problems
  • Read through the From the Developer section
  • Use the Uru Live Support System
  • Report major bugs/problems only
  • Create tickets (bug reports) about the bugs you find, even though someone else has reported it already
  • Make screenshots
  • Attach logs
  • Submit your found bugs as soon as possible
  • When problems/bugs were solved due to an update, close your submitted tickets yourself
  • Frequently Asked Questions
For more information about one of the topics above, just scroll down.

Current issues below
Last section update: 2007-01-28, 15:10 UTC - concerning "live 2" (build 11)

There are no known current issues.
Current issues above

Don't create another and another and another topic if there is already a topic concerning your problem
In particular during server downtimes everybody asks him-/herself what exactly the problem is. But please take some time to look through the most recent topics, and particulary stickies. In most cases you'll find the information you need in those topics.

It's a beta after all - don't get annoyed by bugs or other problems
Uru Live is still in development and beta testing. So you should be prepared to encounter bugs or other problems while playing (or better: testing) the game. It doesn't help Cyan, you, or anyone else at all to become frustrated. Just take the Uru Live beta as it is: a test.
Remember, we have about a month or little more time to help Cyan to get the game ready for launch. Let's all focus on serious beta testing, so let's get those tickets submitted.

Read through the From the Developer section
This section contains really important information about how most things work. Please read the posts there carefully.

Use the Uru Live Support System
Create an account at the system and when you find a bug report it there. Note: You shouldn't use any other charaters besides the alphanumeric and standard punctuation chars as those characters might cause problems in the system.

Report major bugs/problems only
With beta build 8 Cyan has intoduced a new policy concerning the importance of bugs, announced in the build release notes:
Cyan wrote:
Additionally we are now moving our focus to only serious bug fixes. Please write up only urgent bugs / puzzle breakage bugs or serious game play issues from this point on.

Create tickets (bug reports) about the bugs you find, even though someone else has reported it already
Even if you're completely sure that someone else has already reported the bug in question, your additional information might help Cyan to find out how to solve the bug. Also make up a new single ticket for each new bug you find, i.e. don't submit a list of completely different bugs.

Make screenshots
Sometimes screenshots say more than words. Good programs to make screenshots are ScreenHunter 4.0 FREE, Fraps or IrfanView. Remember to save your screenshot in JPEG (JPG) format.

Attach logs
When submitting tickets, you should use the new Uru Live beta KI command "/dumplogs", then zip the resulting log folder (it's in "My Documents\Uru Live\Log\{your log folder name}"). Finally you should attach the zip file to the ticket. Good programs to zip files and folders are 7-Zip or IZArc.

Submit your found bugs as soon as possible
This will make the work of the support team much easier, especially when attaching logs.

When problems/bugs were solved due to an update, close your submitted tickets yourself
We should close our tickets with a note that says "no longer occuring" when they are absolutely 100% not happening any more. This would apply for bugs like spelling errors or graphic fixes that are obviously there.
In case of bugs that are just intermittent and weren't seen since an update, just attach a note saying "Not seen in current version" but don't close the ticket.

Frequently Asked Questions
  • What do I put into the text box "Invitation code"?
    Answer: Nothing. Just leave it empty.
  • What are the forum rules?
    See this topic.

I'd love to see any suggestions or comments to this.

Hope that helps!
Modi

Thanks to the following persons for their contributions to this guide: Tweek, Hamsta, weldergeek, BladeLakem, Shadowcats, ToxicMoon (Bunny), ireenquench, Tiran, HannaGertie, Indy, Tehl Nava, Rusty_Russell, Islander

Last edited by The.Modificator on Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:43 pm 

re: Screenshots - you can also just hit the "PrintScrn" key, and then alt-tab and paste the image straight into a graphics program like MS Paint. From there you can also add things like arrows or red circles around graphics problems, outlines around invisible walls, and text explaining exactly what the problem in the picture is.

re: zipping files - Windows will do it also; just highlight a folder or block of files, right click on it, select "Send to..." and choose "Zipped (Compressed) File". It's much faster than trying to use a separate program, can be done straight from windows Explorer, and lets you rename as necessary.

Thanks for posting this Modi!

~Rils

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:06 am 
Obduction Backer

BTW, if you copy screenshots into MS Paint, remember to save as JPG instead of BMP - JPG takes up a lot less space.

MOULagain KI#27460 - Second Life: Vax Sirnah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:41 am 

Irfanview works good for saving files! Mmm-hmm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:15 pm 

seems like Paint Shop Pro will open the KI images--- :mrgreen:

"Things are not what they used to be -- and they never were." Will Rogers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:33 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

This is mentioned above but due to the recent announcements I'd like to remind everyone of closing their tickets of bugs that don't occur anymore.

Post subject: Suggestion?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:30 pm 

A small suggestion: since beta testing is about finding bugs in the game as currently defined, would it not make sense to create an "advanced user's link" in your personal Relto, perhaps an extra book or just a notepaper image on the floor, with a linking image on it, which when clicked unlocks the standard puzzles in URU - it "activates" all seven journies in each standard age, returns all Bahro pillars, then unlocks the telescopes in Kadish, the bridges in Teledahn, the lights and doors in the Eders, the power in Gahreesen, the journey door in the Cleft?

Actually, never mind, I guess this is a stupid idea, if you're testing only gameplay, and not bugs in the operation of things like the physics engine, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:17 pm 

Nice idea, but kinda kills the point of actually doing things to test them out... Hard to find a bug in the Kadish pillar puzzle if you never hafta do it! :wink:

Post subject: The reason...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:25 pm 

The reason I suggested that is because of the last vault wipe, I no longer feel like doing any of those things! Perhaps it would make more sense if it were a switch you could throw that would set the puzzles to a saved state, and then revert them back. Oh well, I think we're about a week away from release probably by now anyway![/i]

Post subject: Re: The reason...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:44 pm 

thinkingman wrote:
The reason I suggested that is because of the last vault wipe, I no longer feel like doing any of those things!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hear you, I really do. We've been playing the same thing over and over and over again for 3 years now (some of us), and we're all a little tired of it I think!

I guess for me the motivation to keep testing the same thing over and over again is the idea of what Uru can be. By finally opening it to the public in the way we are, Uru will gain a vastly greater audience. As old-timers, it's up to us to ensure that the newest incarnation of Uru is as good as it can be for all the future Myst fans who will be seeing it for the very first time by the end of the year. If it means running the Ages one more time to ensure Uru Live gets the chance to succeed, then count me in!

Contrariwise, if someone is interested in a static version of the game, perhaps beta testing isn't the right fit for them. No shame in that, we all have something different that floats our boats... :wink:

Post subject: Yes...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:50 pm 

Yes, I'm definitely not interested in a static game, which is the point of all this endless test and re-testing. I would keep my GameTap subscription if there were a new age, say, every month... yes, that is a lot of work, but I would certainly love to be one of those age creators and know I have the skills necessary to do it... But running through the ages one more time gets a bit old, cause I'm not 19 anymore (the age I was when Myst came out)! I do a lot of programming and intense computer work for some demanding clientele, and having Uru open on the machine next to me as I work is very relaxing, especially when the day gets stressful.

And yes, I know this is getting off-topic, but it would help motivate more beta-testing if we could simply access locked areas, but from programming I know this often introduces a wonderful new set of bugs just for a testcase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:45 am 

Not relishing asking the blitheringly obvious to some, but exactly how do I designate the log folder as the location for bug logging dumps, and why has no one coded a simpler method of doing this than mucking about with code ourselves? I know it's asking a lot this late in the day, but wouldn't beta testing go smoother if you didn't make the process of reporting a bug as hard as finding and exploring bugs themselves?

Just thinking out loud. I'm one of the latecomers to the beta circuit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:09 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
but exactly how do I designate the log folder as the location for bug logging dumps,
You don't. My Documents\URU Live\Log (or c:\documents and settings\<user name>\My Documents\URU Live\Log)

That's a change for this release and is in the notes for the build on the support site.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]