It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:49 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:24 pm 

I have used 64-bit operating system's for 2+ year's and never have issue's except when company's design there software to refuse to install on a 64-bit OS, like Real Player did it before for a build so I switch to Real Alternative and GT doe's it so used the Standalone Uru Client and otherwise I only have driver issue's back when 64-bit OS's were released which in about 1-2 month's the driver's were released..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:12 pm 

The stand alone client still works. I think (very important word for I may be mistaken) I read somewhere that it will continue to work throught the rest of live. It's what I was using up until a few days ago when I saw that Cyan was asking us to go through gametap. After that I just copied the dat and sfx folders over to my Gametap client (so I wouldn't have to download them again) and uninstalled the stand alone.

I still have the installer though. Thought I should keep it should the link disappear or I lose the address. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:24 pm 

I've heard murmurings that GameTap will support Windows 2k, XP, and Vista "very soon".

I know this doesn't necessarily mean 64-bit vista, but still, you never know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:13 pm 

Let's hope. We'll be getting Vista soon. Not the 64-bit though so I won't have to worry about that if I ever install it on my pc.

The question was about 64-bit Windows XP though. If they get support going for 64-bit Vista I wonder if it'll be too hard to do for XP as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:48 pm 

StarLion wrote:
I've heard murmurings that GameTap will support Windows 2k, XP, and Vista "very soon".

its not gametap. the physx engine that is used in mo:ul does not support win 2k, xp-64, or vista (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:01 pm 

Not exactly true. Physx has had no problem for me.

As for why some of us are running XP 64 rather than 32...well...I don't have a copy of 32, and my computer savve brother suggested I get 64 bit when I got my new computer. And since I have already purchased it...well...I'm not going to go out and buy 32 bit. Especially when what I have works for most everything else.

I'm sure you've all been there before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Did you try to put the GT-Installer into compatibilty mode?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:13 am 

Firesign wrote:
StarLion wrote:

its not gametap. the physx engine that is used in mo:ul does not support win 2k, xp-64, or vista (yet).
Well, it's that and Gametap. The majority of users will be loging in through the Gametap client, and if it won't install on your shiny new Vista install, you just lost a customer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:16 am 
Obduction Backer

LordAndy wrote:
Did you try to put the GT-Installer into compatibilty mode?

Andy, please read the thread before replying :-) Someone else made this suggestion.

And the PhsyX engine runs fine on my system, in something called WoW (Windows on Windows) emulation mode, which is automatic and seamless and has a kinda kinky name. :-)

Most of the software on my system is 32-bit, and you'd never know that I was running 64-bit Windows unless you checked my system settings.

And as for the person who suggested sticking with 32, you should know that I (and others) have other uses for our computers than Uru. Besides, Uru itself runs wonderfully on our 64-bit systems, as does every other program I need. The GT-installer is the only 32-bit program I've ever had a problem with. I'm a video editor and effects compositor, so a 64-bit system is better for that when doing complicated render operations.

Someone suggested that GT's use of 16- and 8-bit emulators might be to blame for it's refusal to install. I think this might be right, because I know that 64-bit Windows XP can't run 16-bit Windows 3.1 games like the 32-bit version of Windows XP can.

I'm sure that if the installer wasn't so picky, the GT client would run fine on WinXP 64-bit. I hope that they change things, and just warn us about the 16 and 8 bit games, because I'm a little bummed that when I start paying for GT, I wont get to play all the rest of their games, even if I can still use the Uru client...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:35 am 

I doubt it's the emulation -- any modern emulator (even for a 16-bit processor) would be a 32-bit app, and so should run just fine.

However, I've heard that GameTap does a lot of its work by emulating CD drives and things, which requires driver-level code. And 32-bit drivers don't work on Win64, so that's my pick for the broken thing.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2